Author Topic: probably pilot or throwout?  (Read 6277 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
probably pilot or throwout?
« on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:34:36 PM »
Ok, got in my truck, start it up, and she is squealin!!  IT only squeals when the clutch is out, and it sqeals whether I am in any gear, or nuetral.  :dunno:  I was thinking pilot or throwout, but when I dperess the clutch, the sound goes away, and the sound is only there when the pedal is all the way out.  If I push the pedal in mabye half an inch, the sound goes away.  This point is long past where the clutch engages and kills the motor when the clutch is released. from the feel of it, and from the point that the motor died, I think I have about 3" of play in my clutch pedal, but the sound goes away in the first 1/2" mabye the first 1" 

any thoughts?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: probably pilot or throwout?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »
you pulled the clutch off ??   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:38:10 PM »
no, its still all together.  I thought about just adjusting the pedal so it doesn't come out as far  :_oops:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:40:22 PM »
has it done this for a while or just started today??

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:42:08 PM »
no  dont adjust it up,  you'll burn the throw out bearing up

its either the pilot bearing is toast  or input bearing in the front of tranny :yikes:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:43:35 PM »
I've heard the squealing before, but it was very intermittent, and not very loud.  I thought it was my powersteering pump, which is bad.  Today was the first day that it was pretty much constant, and it was a lot louder.  I'm pretty sure it is coming from the bellhousing area, or the tranny itself.  It is shifting fine though, and the clutch isn't slipping, everything seems normal and tight.  My tranny does fall out of 1st and 3rd, could this be the next step of a longterm problem?  (ie synchros going out?)

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:44:16 PM »
no  dont adjust it up,  you'll burn the throw out bearing up

its either the pilot bearing is toast  or input bearing in the front of tranny :yikes:

I figured that'd be a bad idea :smack:

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:51:52 PM »
dude,  it kinda sounds like your input bearing is spun dry,  falling out of any gear is the first sign a rebuild is near

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:53:25 PM »
better pull the tranny tomorrow,   you have a R150  right

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2006, 08:55:24 PM »
i'll keep my fingers crossed  but  falling out of gear :down:   dude  you know  its  bad  :rivers:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:03:32 PM »
better pull the tranny tomorrow,   you have a R150  right

:yesnod:
dude,  it kinda sounds like your input bearing is spun dry,  falling out of any gear is the first sign a rebuild is near

Dag nab it!!  Its been falling out of gear for 2-3 years now :smack:  I can't pull it tommorow, mabye this weekend.  Glad I have a work truck  :ack:

-Ronald Reagan

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:51:49 PM »
Unfortunatly I'd say from your discription of when it is occuring, Glen would be dead on. Since it only occurs once you let the clutch out it has to be in the trans, usually a throw-out will squeal when you depress the clutch since that's when it spins. The bearings in the trans will stop spinning when you depress the clutch and will start once you start letting the clutch out.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2006, 11:29:51 PM »
Unfortunatly I'd say from your discription of when it is occuring, Glen would be dead on. Since it only occurs once you let the clutch out it has to be in the trans, usually a throw-out will squeal when you depress the clutch since that's when it spins. The bearings in the trans will stop spinning when you depress the clutch and will start once you start letting the clutch out.

i figured glen was right, he usually is (at least about my truck)  but I always go for a 2nd opinion.  Guess I should start looking for a spare tranny. :down:

only original part of my drivetrain is gonna be my goldarned driveshafts and my t-case  :headshake:

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2006, 11:37:32 PM »
I will refrain from pickin on you and your Toyota always breakin down :lipsrsealed:

You should talk to Jeremy about it BD.... He knows quite a bit bout em, he might even take a look if you ask him to.  PM me if you don't have his number I'll send it to ya :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2006, 11:45:36 PM »
I will refrain from pickin on you and your Toyota always breakin down :lipsrsealed:

You should talk to Jeremy about it BD.... He knows quite a bit bout em, he might even take a look if you ask him to.  PM me if you don't have his number I'll send it to ya :thumbs:

seems that it is running better than your ford at least :dunno:  :lipsrsealed:

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2006, 11:50:11 PM »
seems that it is running better than your ford at least :dunno:  :lipsrsealed:

I can still drive my ford, I just chose not to :greengrin:

Anyway :slap: this is :offtopic: You can PM Jeremy (yotaweelr) and see what he says :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »
Hey, rather it is your release or pilot bearing, the noise will go way when the pedal is RELEASED (clutch engaged). At that time, the pilot bearing is not spinning (since the trans input shaft is in a sense "locked" to the crankshaft) and the release bearing is just that, released!

Bad release or pilot bearings are only heard while the clutch pedal is pressed (clutch disengaged).

Sounds like something is up with your transmission to me... Here's a scary question: Is there any GEAR OIL in your trans?? :scared: :crossed:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2006, 12:14:18 AM »

Sounds like something is up with your transmission to me... Here's a scary question: Is there any GEAR OIL in your trans?? :scared: :crossed:

:yesnod:  at least, there better be.  That is the only part of the truck that doesn't leak :headshake: I'll look tommorow.  I checked all the fluids about 2 mos. ago, and it was fine then, so I doubt that is the problem, but I'll check. 

If that isn't the case, guess I'd better start looking for a new tranny huh?

-Ronald Reagan

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2006, 12:20:08 AM »
I don't know.. don't jump to any conclusions just yet. How does it drive? Any difference in sound while on heavy throttle or just coasting?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2006, 12:24:32 AM »
I don't know.. don't jump to any conclusions just yet. How does it drive? Any difference in sound while on heavy throttle or just coasting?

not really, but the squealing is pretty loud in every gear except 4th.  it is still there, but not as loud.  It drives fine, shifts like normal, no slipping or grinding :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2006, 02:36:17 AM »
It is possible that it could be the throwout bearing. I have seen it before. If it's just barely touching the clutch enough to spin it and it has a bad spot it will sqeal.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:01:06 AM »
It is possible that it could be the throwout bearing. I have seen it before. If it's just barely touching the clutch enough to spin it and it has a bad spot it will sqeal.

Now that is a correct symptom of a bad release bearing. But his does not make any sound until the clutch pedal is released.

the sound is only there when the pedal is all the way out.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #22 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:31:42 AM »
My tranny does fall out of 1st and 3rd

He' got other issues, of a long time coming failure.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2006, 11:51:50 AM »
:yesnod:
Dag nab it!!  Its been falling out of gear for 2-3 years now :smack: 
:werd:

the truck part fairy  needs to drop a R150  off at his house and a crossmember at mine

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
just went and checked, my tranny does have plenty of oil in it :down: 

Is there any possibility that the oil from my valve cover leak is getting into the bellhousing and causing this?  I know that is very unlikely, seeing as oil is alubricant, and would quiet it down, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway :dunno:

I didn't realize my valve cover was leakign that bad :headshake: i knew it was a little, but its gotten worse :yikes:  guess I know what I'll be doing over the next few weeks

-Ronald Reagan

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 20, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
Now that is a correct symptom of a bad release bearing. But his does not make any sound until the clutch pedal is released.

That's what I'm saying,without no pressure on the release bearing if it's touching the clutch enough to spin it if it's bad it can squeal.

If the squealing stops before the clutch is fully disengaged then it makes me think it's the release bearing.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 20, 2006, 02:51:18 PM »
this from a little different angle,  I can reach in from the side, and grab the shift fork? (the thing the slave cylinder pushes on)  when I put pressure on that (move it mabye 1/8") it'll stop squealing.  We're not talking about a huge range where it is squealing here, not far at all :dunno:  does that help at all?  :headscratch:

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 20, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
:dunno:  try loosening the clutch up a little and see if it stops

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #28 on: Apr 20, 2006, 05:18:11 PM »
I have a spare trans laying around where you from blackdog?
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 20, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »
If you move the clutch fork closer to the slave and the noise goes away, it is the release bearing. Like Bubba said it may be locked up and dragging on the pressure plate. By moving the fork it stops touching and stops making the noise.

This means that the noise at least is not the trans.

Get the throw out bearing changed quick before it wares out the pressure plate fingers.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0