Author Topic: How much would it cost to get gears and lockers installed Profesionaly  (Read 4468 times)

Doc Holiday

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
How much would it cost to get gears and lockers installed Profesionaly.
I have a 1980 toyota 4x4 shortbox, and i wana put some 5.29 gears and some aussie lockers.
So for each diff what would be the estimated cost to get gears and lockers installed!!!
Thanks!!!

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
I just got 5.29's  and a spool installed in my 87 ifs rig and the bill just for the install was like 600 bux. I wheeled it in there he ripped it all apart and put it all back together took the guy 16 hours to do it.   :twocents:
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
mmm. wait and call your favorite 4wheel parts, they give grrrrrrreat deals :bumpinbutts: do a little research on the r&p sets, install kits, lockers and add about 600-1000 on top for labor :twocents:
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
holy crap, thats expensive!!! what did i get my self into.................lol just joking, but seriosuly!!! :down:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
it depends on how  good of a installer they are..  i can R&R  yota diffs ( front and rear) in about 3-4 hours..    and we charged a 100 dollar flat rate (  100 bucks if it takes us 10 mins or 3 hours) for the gear install ( does not include labor involving tearing down axles and whatever else may have needed to be done)  so it all depends on who you take it to
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

prang11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Team White Truck
    • View Profile
If you take the thirds to a shop with the gears and lockers you can expect to pay probably 150$-300$ per third to have them installed.  If I were you I would just install them your selve.  Its not as hard as everyone makes it out to be aslong as you have an axle around so you can crush the crush sleeves.  You just need some breaker bars and alot of strenght.  Unless you have another way or putting 300-400 ft lbs of tourque on something.
85 Toyota Pickup, with a sweet hurst shifter!

22R, 33s, 5.29, locked rear, 3" wider, slow.

genericposter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Mar '05
  • r0ar
    • View Profile
Do the bulk of the labor yourself first. Remove the thirds and take them an install kit with the new gears and you should save yourself a good chunk of change on labor costs.
84 4Runner - 4.88s, Rear Locker, 33"s
Senior Airman USAF
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
I got gears and a locker intalled for 300 bucks.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Sundowner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ask around, there's usally a local shop that does gear swaps. Toy 3rds are easy and usually run about $150 -$200 /axle locally. I personally do gear swaps in my area for $100 on loose 3rds. there's gotta be someone like me in every major area.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I blew up my rear end in the winter of 2004-2005, didn't destroy toe locker, so they reinstalled that with new gears (5.29) for $437.  The guy said for front and rear, if you just bring the truck, it'd be about $1000, he told me that with just my rear, I saved a few hundred buck by taking the diff out myself.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent