Author Topic: GEARS AND LOCKERS????  (Read 2128 times)

vaj70cruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Apr '05
  • marlin ultimate crawler
    • View Profile
GEARS AND LOCKERS????
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:18:32 AM »
Anyone know where i could get some good qulity differetials gear and locker for cheap prices? how are the Genuine gear perform i know they are cheap? what was the best brand for differential low gearing? What about Yukon and precision gear? anyone know where they'll be cheaper? lastly, how complete do i need for the installation kit, (do i really need the Master kit)? looking for opioin..any exp'd welcome...thanks guys.
Fj40 V8 efi ss350 marlin ultimate crawler 290:1

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: GEARS AND LOCKERS????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:49:07 AM »
genuine gear is garbage, dont waste your money, their metal is soft, and breaks...... sure the price is enticing, but free replacement gears and paying to have them instlled several times adds up faster then have doing it right the first time
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:19:04 AM »
I shopped around a lot when I was looking for gears for my truck. I have helped set up several kinds of sets, and I can say with confidence, stay away from Genuine Gear. They are complete crap. Yukons are great, but Precision is the best in my opinion. The cheapest I have found gears is from a vendor on Pirate, and it is thoough Classic City Offroad. He will sell you the Yukon Gears with Timkin Master installs for $416 shipped. Check out this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366466 . As for lockers, check out offroadlockers.com for Aussies, around $230 a piece shipped. There are sevearal other choises, but these are the best bargins I have found.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
Precision Gear. Go to their website and take the virtual tour. http://www.precisiongear.com/pgmanufacturing.htm You'll see why.  :greengrin:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:55:41 AM »
I don't think that you can go wrong with Yukon gears, I think that is what Marlin and Randy's Ring and Pinion sell.

Support Marlin  :thumbs:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:15:06 PM »
After quite a bit of research, I went with cryoed 5.29 Yukon gears from Longfield's (@$170 per set), Marlin's set up kit and Aussie Lockers (I believe I paid around $240 each). IMO, if you are looking for quality stuff, this is as "cheap" as you will find. As for the set up kit, no you don't "need" it, but if you want the gears to last, you are better off doing it right the first time. :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:01:38 PM »
yukon gears all the way..  (randys owns yukon gear)  they are awesome despite what alot of people say
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !