Author Topic: GEARS AND LOCKERS????  (Read 3034 times)

vaj70cruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Apr '05
  • marlin ultimate crawler
    • View Profile
GEARS AND LOCKERS????
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:17:20 AM »
Anyone know where i could get some good qulity differetials gear and locker for cheap prices? how are the Genuine gear perform i know they are cheap? what was the best brand for differential low gearing? What about Yukon and precision gear? anyone know where they'll be cheaper? lastly, how complete do i need for the installation kit, (do i really need the Master kit)? looking for opioin..any exp'd welcome...thanks guys.
Fj40 V8 efi ss350 marlin ultimate crawler 290:1

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: GEARS AND LOCKERS????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
It's almost always best to start fresh, but I do understand being on a budget. I would not go cheap on the gears though. That could leave you stranded.
How many miles are on you truck? If it's not too many you could get away without changing bearings.
Marlin sells Yukon gears. They sell Yukon gears because they've had the best luck with them. Check their web site for prices.

ariman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
It's almost always best to start fresh, but I do understand being on a budget. I would not go cheap on the gears though. That could leave you stranded.
How many miles are on you truck? If it's not too many you could get away without changing bearings.
Marlin sells Yukon gears. They sell Yukon gears because they've had the best luck with them. Check their web site for prices.

That luck did not last to me, got bad 7,5" front RG from Marlin.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
try randysring and pinion they have reaonable prices and get you the gears in one day
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
That luck did not last to me, got bad 7,5" front RG from Marlin.

not every gear set is going to be perfect. in a manufacturing world, you settle for most are perfect, there will always be a few bad apples....

genuine gear gears are crap.... they are soft, i have heard of about 90% of users running them with problems, i have heard of maybe 10% of users who use yukons ever having problems. most gear problems are attributed to improper setup/care
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »
A buddy of mine has GG 4.88s and has had no problems(pavement pounder) although they were a pregnant dog to get good pattern with.  Iknow Ramrod on the board broke them time after time and finally went to a better gear(Yukons?).  I have Yukon 4.88s that were cake. I have had no problems. If you want to do it right, and do it once, I would recommend getting the master install kit.
I have a customer who has a scout.  He bought bearings from me(that's all I need).  He put the gears in and ran it without oil. He bought a set of 3.54s from me(that's all I need).  He assembled his axle again, and he just bought a rear pinion bearing from me(that's all he needs :headshake: ) just my :twocents: but it's faster, easier and better in the long run to replace it all once than to try to save cash. Words I live by: buy the best and only cry once.

ariman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 11:27:28 PM »
most gear problems are attributed to improper setup/care

Nope. Pinion axle is faulty. Original Toyota flange dont sit center causing my front driveline to vibrate. Clear manufacturing fault.
I got no reply from Marlin so it seems its gonna be my loss. I ordered new RG (NOT FROM MARLIN AND NOT YUKON!). Should have it during next week.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:32:06 AM »
Try Jaws gear and axle, I bought two complete gear sets and master installs from them for under $500.

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
Nope. Pinion axle is faulty. Original Toyota flange dont sit center causing my front driveline to vibrate. Clear manufacturing fault.
I got no reply from Marlin so it seems its gonna be my loss. I ordered new RG (NOT FROM MARLIN AND NOT YUKON!). Should have it during next week.
So you bring up a thread that is almost 2 years old to complain?  :shake: Just start a new one