Author Topic: scams and attempted theft  (Read 76088 times)

brandino04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: scams and attempted theft
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:17:50 PM »
I was a "victim" of this "peter" guy....i had my truck for sell and he was interested and sent me a check for $7,000.00, well long story short i owe my bank alot of money. something needs to be taken care of about this guy.
brandon

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mar 31, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
...and I just got an email from "system administrator", with attachment, stating that the email to mr peter didn't go through!  Riiiiiiiiiight!  And I click on the attachment and their fun begins!  Am I wearing my stupid hat today?!  I might just have to sign up for a new free email account and start baiting this guy on, just for fun sake!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 31, 2006, 09:59:17 PM »
I was a "victim" of this "peter" guy....i had my truck for sell and he was interested and sent me a check for $7,000.00, well long story short i owe my bank alot of money. something needs to be taken care of about this guy.

So, it's confirmed now that he ripped off someone on the board.   :maddest: F'ing ridiculous. Brandino, best wishes, that sucks buddy. This was just posted a couple of days ago. I wonder how many other ones there are? I hope everyone here can do their best to catch this :moon:.   :nonono:
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006, 10:10:03 PM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mar 31, 2006, 11:25:58 PM »
DTB, if you look back brandino got scammed a little while back, before this thread was started!  I seriously hope nobody else falls for this, and only hope the members who don't frequent the site notice this thread and check it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #34 on: Apr 02, 2006, 06:33:31 PM »
this is all over the mtbr.com board and is a huge problem..there is a link to the fed gov web site that gives u more info
- i was trying to sell a pair of mtb shoes and the buyer from south afrika wanted me to to buy like 5 more pair and he would send me a check for more than it was worth...go figure...be careful and don't give any info-ryan
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #35 on: Apr 02, 2006, 07:22:51 PM »
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2006, 01:54:57 AM »
This guy sent me a emial wanting to buy some parts I had listed a long time ago, His spelling of words and general formalness of his email tipped me that he was prolly a scammer. He approached me like he was trying to sell me a grant proposal. hope no one else gets burned.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 11:59:40 AM »
the "advance payment" schemes are usually out of Nigeria.
At least that's the origin of the FedEx.
I let them send the check.. At least it costs them the postage.

pyrotec220

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Nov '05
  • rock solid
    • View Profile
    • myspace-- although i use facebook
« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »
i got one of em. he said he was from canada and he owned a tire warehouse. ill see if i still have it and if i do ill post it

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #39 on: Jul 10, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »
tell him to send you some tires for the trouble :rofl:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

brandino04

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 03, 2006, 09:45:46 PM »
ok sorry guys.....i just fixed the head gasket so its good to go now. im only asking 3000 for it. i would like it if you would call....its easier....6054318786. thanks
brandon

affende

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '06
  • I would do her IDB style...twice
    • View Profile
    • Affende.com
« Reply #41 on: Sep 05, 2006, 05:50:11 PM »
in response to this i am going to give everyone some advice that was given to me when i first started trading on the internet...i use it every time (unlike condoms lol ) and i have only been scammed once for about $50...

USE REFERENCES!!!!  i prefer beerology.com or heatware.com

the best place to do research for a potential bad trader is trollhunters.com

my suggestion is to use it.
Please excuse my grammar and spelling, im from Virginia.

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:07:44 AM »
buyer  beware  toyotajoe35 is a rip off   seen on here that he stands behind what he sells    ,,,funny  he sold me some  lifted springs  supposed to be  four inch lift  they are factory    then i see on here  he says he stands behind what he sells   the only thing he stands behind is his computer ,,,,look real good before buying from this guy

YODAWILL

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 260
  • Member since Feb '06
  • It's got to be the rubber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2006, 02:22:58 PM »
I think this is someone trying to scam me this guy says he lives in canada
I baiting him right know.

Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 7:14 PM
Subject: TOYOTA TRUCK ROCKCRAWLER - $4900

Hello Seller,
I'm Mr, Sabit Moore ,I hail and reside in  Canada , Therefore I
came across your advert on www.craigslist.org and am highly
interested in Purchasing {TOYOTA TRUCK ROCKCRAWLER } which you offer for sale.Due to the fact that it's been a long time have been searching for it,Please Kindly get back to me as soon as possible with the necessary answers to the question in mind,
1. Are you the real owner?
2. The present condition?
3. How long has it been yours?
4. Who did you buy it from?
5. And your final asking price?
6. why are you selling it ?
Furthermore I will like you to know that my form of payment is
through a Money Order..
I await your urgent response so that we can proceed further..
N.B: Please I want you to get back to me with your final asking price..
Best Regards
Sabit Moore ..

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: Nov 11, 2006, 06:59:04 PM »
ya thats a scam who the heck sends out a letter like that............
But then aging he says he canadian :-X
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 11, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »

But then aging he says he canadian :-X

that's the only reason why I wasn't suspicious. He's from Canada. that's how they talk up there :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #46 on: Nov 11, 2006, 08:26:34 PM »
°I am a litle bit scared now...... I have heard about these things but never seen it up close before....     Donīt I just fit the profile to = bad english?     :inthedark:

I just say everyone that does a thing like that should loose theyr left hand or something. = simular to whatīs done in the 3rd world.

Funny tho about this african scam = I am a son of .... There whas this radio show here that draged that along for mounths startid with them reading theyr e-mails and endet with them talking to them over the phone.... It was hilarius
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:59:52 PM »
one word to you people DONT TAKE postal checks or money order,  CASH ONLY. i got a guy from africa that sent me fake postal checks (4) claiming that he works for the US services and wanted to buy some of my parts.  it looks real, but it was fake and the cops almost bust me for it when i try to cash it.  i'd perfer local or pick up only,  dont trust anyone who try to buy your stuff from out of country.  ITS A SCAM. 

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:08:29 PM »
send these fake crap to the feds and have them take care of business.   

hey yoda take the offer watch you'll get some ten money orders for like 1500 each.  next he'll tell you that it was sent by one of this client in the US keep your share then sent him the rest via western union. TRUST ME BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

f**k them low life scums...

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
4xsports.  Sorry to hear that man.  I close friend of mine had that happen to her.  I kept telling her that it was a scam and she didn't believe me because she got a check and the bank cashed it.  I hope you guy are really careful about buying stuff.

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:07:42 AM »
4xsports.  Sorry to hear that man.  I close friend of mine had that happen to her.  I kept telling her that it was a scam and she didn't believe me because she got a check and the bank cashed it.  I hope you guy are really careful about buying stuff.
  and let me guess,  after a week  the bank called her  and said, "oh  we are sorry that check  we cashed for you wasnt good  so we have to  pull that amount out of your account  and BOY  are you over drawn "

thats why  when i recently  recieved a check for a part  i had the bank  flag it  and  didnt  pull the money till it came back good the next week.  never did send the part
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »

thats why  when i recently  recieved a check for a part  i had the bank  flag it  and  didnt  pull the money till it came back good the next week.  never did send the part

wait isnīt that steeling ?
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
wait isnīt that steeling ?
NO  not  when  the check  actually  came back good,  i sent his money back cause UPS  wanted $100  to  send a fender  :headshake:

but  you get my point,  never draw the money befor you KNOW  its good

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
sounds fishy...... who the heck talks like that..... 
uhh me! lol...heres my response to one.... "For the want of a most transaction of perfection as to have rectified your needs as to wanting a product of hasten we would like to make payment available as to cash with the joy of a good dealing with an individual pleasant as yourself regards."  and heres a funny website...just for fun of course http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/
RIP KYOTA

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2007, 03:51:22 PM »
YODAWILL, that is a scam... had someone reply to some of my for sale threads exactly the same. Exact same questions, different name..
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

haggard82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »
k well didnt read everything but caught that someone already identified them from being in africa, most of the 419 and craigslist scams come from nigeria, i was selling my truck before and was a few digits away from getting scammed for 5 grand. heres how it works- mr.bob sends you an email usually in broken english or backwards wording like me is wanting buy yore truck. sometimes may seem legit but then they say i will send you the 5 thou for truck and the extra 4 thou for shipping or something the ask for all your personal info...the personal info is used for identity theft and the money they send looks real in the computer but once transacted its fake and YOU owe the bank that 9000. www.thescambaiter.com helped me with the fool that tried to scam me and i ended up finding out where he lived how old he was and everyhting haha, probably could have found out when he drops the morning deuce. another give away is they ALWAYS reply to your emails within minutes, since they are at the computron all day and usually say i am very nervous of this money transacting since i here never done this on the internet before.........some people should be shot....hopem i didnt post to much thats already been said

Nate C

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mar 27, 2007, 11:04:16 PM »
I got this info off another board.  If you get one of these emails go here and have some fun with them! 

http://www.419eater.com/

This is aimed at the 419 nigeria scam "hello, I'm royalty bla bla bla bla" , but they'll play with any kind of scam!

Hehehe...seen that before a friend told me about that site...very funny!  :)  Thievin bastids!!! 

toytank

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Sep '06
  • ROCKSOLIDMOTORSPORTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2007, 11:21:37 AM »
if you send oregancrawler money he wont send anything back
old and sqeaky but she goes

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2007, 07:12:03 PM »
DTB, please understand one thing, not all of us (Canadians) are trying to rip people off, not all of us (Canadians) are elliterate and finally with so many immigrants coming into Canada and the USA we cannot trust every body to earn a living by getting off their arses and working hard.
Personally, should I come across anyone trying to rip someone off like that I would make sure the Law was aware of the situation and if they were lax on their duties, let say I know some people....................................... :crazy:
DanS 
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

welder2000

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 181
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jun 15, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
I think I just had the same thing happen to me from Craig's List, Told him sorry parts sold.

Hello,
I want to know if the item is still up for sale.
I will be responsible for the shipment down to my
location, My offer is $300.
So get back to me if the offer is ok by you
Regard

Thanks for getting back to me,am currently in UK.I want to ship the item down here, there won't be any problem about the shipment.before i proceed i will like to know the current condidition of the item and i will also appreciate it if you can send me some pictures of the item. my broker will contact you as soon as payment was made and confirmed.Get back to me ASAP.
s.
83 toy Clovis, CA