Author Topic: scams and attempted theft  (Read 76137 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
scams and attempted theft
« on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:42:40 PM »
unfortunately  it has come to our attention  there have been attempts to scam people out of there hard earned money  on the Marlin classifieds

in question is
peter reiss <inc_inc_1975@yahoo.com>

here is his message to one of the members here

I am interested in buying the bilstien shocks that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present situation of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this promptly.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last offering price as I will be paying with a cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,

peter reiss.

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT  ,I believe,  TO COMMITT IDENTITY FRAUD.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

80crawleryota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: scams and attempted theft
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »
yea it sure does, we need to watch out for these

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:29:39 PM »
Hello
I am interested in buying the 1986 22-rte with a blown headgasket that you have placed for sell now,and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned,as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a cashiers cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours  interestingly,

Peter Reiss.

i also got the almost identical email from this guy.....  :shakehead:
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »
Me three, only difference being the item for sale.  I intended to forward it to somebody for further inspection, but don't really know who.  How would somebody be able to steal you identity through this though?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:59:45 PM »
sounds fishy...... who the heck talks like that..... 
My suggest is  make a link to paypal  and encourage people to use it.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2006, 02:50:28 PM by unclejpl4x4 »
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »
These types of scams usually start out with fairly understandable english, but it gets progressively more broken the more contact you have with them.  Guarentee this is one of those deals where they will send you an exorbinant amount and ask that you return the difference to them. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
sounds like the classic phishing scam
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

scyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 427
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2006, 10:58:51 PM »
I am interested in buying the stock V6 third that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present situation of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this promptly.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last offering price as I will be paying with a cheque.

Yours interestingly,

peter reiss.

This guy emailed me too..knew it was sketchy from the start.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2006, 08:05:10 AM by 79Coyotefrg »
1993 4Runner SAS - SOLD

'01.5 Audi S4 2.7TT Stage 3

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2006, 11:06:15 PM »
Watch out guys, this stuff is messed up! Use paypal or cash if it is local! Watch out for foreign spelling or out of country addresses or anything that just seems funny.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

BoMXtreme

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -24
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Clean and stock cut short
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2006, 11:45:36 PM »
 :mad:
Looking for 35s in SLO later summer time, like august.  Swapping Tires??

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2006, 11:53:57 PM »
i have received 2 emails from this person one from here and one from pirate i replied back telling no checks and he never responded back
I need a running 22r

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:36:38 AM »
Yea, I told him no cashiers cheques(checks), but I'm half considering emailing him again and saying I'll do it, I just wanna get rid of them!  Then hook up with the local pd and let them take it from there.  There've been a couple of older people scammed here recently, so they should be hip to it.  I seriously don't know how anybody even gets taken by these things anymore, but sometimes people are just so happy to be selling something I guess, that they just don't see the red flags.  Maybe I'll tell him I want $1500 for my wheels too, just to throw him a curve. 
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:37:29 AM »
But I might have already ruined it, cause the reason I gave him why I wouldn't take cashiers checks is cause that's what the scammers usually try.
RIP KYOTA

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:41:31 AM »
Well if he's on the board, he has probably seen this thread. Is there any way to see if he has veiwed this thread yet? Calling BigMike!

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:14:16 AM »
Cruzilla has banned this guy from the board,   this doesnt mean  that others like him wont pop up later

how these guys work  they see you have a part for sale for say $50,  you tell them sure send a cashiers check, they are always good right?  but they send you $200 saying that the teller messed up and ask that you send them their 150 back,   in good faith you do this,  now they have your $150,  your bank calles to tell you the cashiers check was fake,  and the guy now has your bank account routing numbers,   he can go online to many places and buy stuff using just those routing numbers

i got a email once from a guy that claimed to be a relative, telling me he and my "uncle"  where in africa or something as missionaries,  when  the "uncle"  was killed,   and i was to recieve part of his estate but the "cousin"  needed my banking info to be able to transfer the funds too me,  or to ask me for $1000   so he could return to america,  i was like yea right,  :aaa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:36:43 AM »
I have gotten an email from this guy also.  What they do is send  you a FAKE cashiers check and have you return some of the money back to their shipping agent and then they take off with your money.
   I sold my 69 FJ40 and someone tried to get me on this,  I went along with it knowing it was fishy the guy sent me a cashiers check for 4400 dollars and I only wanted 2200 for the FJ.  I was supposed to sent a check to his shipping agent for the other 2200 and then he would come pick up the FJ.  By the time the bank knows it is a fake check, the check you wrote has already gone through.  I was  lucky and found out before he even sent the check, so when I got it I went to the bank and confirmed that is was a fraudulent check. then I got a hold of the FBI and had to give them all the info on it.  If the email looks suspicious then email the guy back and tell them that you know they are sending fraudulent checks out, I basically always rip them a new :moon: then they stop emailing for awhile. 
  Anyway I hope this helps everyone on this board, and I really hope that nobody has been screwed by this already; it is sad that we even have to deal with this issue on marlin crawler.
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »
Same scenerio here I was selling a quad and this guy emails me and says he wants more pictures.

I send more pictures within 2 minutes of sending the picture the guy emails he wants it and is sending a cashier check to me.  I get the check it is for 1600 to much and from a bank in the Virgin Islands. 

I send him an email and he said they made a mistake as he got the check sent to me over the phone with his bank.  Can i refund the difference.  I was suspicious from the start so I said no send me one for the right amount and I will send yours back to you.

Guess what I never heard from him again.  My buddy works at the FBI I gave it to him and he started to laugh they said they have over 600 of these fake checks in hte past 9 months from a bank that doesn't even exsist.

Definately "Seller Beware"
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:36:52 AM »
unfortunately  it has come to our attention  there have been attempts to scam people out of there hard earned money  on the Marlin classifieds

in question is

here is his message to one of the members here

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT  ,I believe,  TO COMMITT IDENTITY FRAUD.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the board.  :thumbs:   Anybody e-mailing me asking for that kind of info, I would say Get lost! (edited for board) :yupyup:

I like to meet the person face to face, in public, cash, proper gentenmans hand shake!  But that's just me.

I like to Drive!

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:23:48 PM »
Exactly, I like face to face deals, with cash and a handshake when it's all over. Easiest way to do it. I also like buying with cash because if you say something like bringing you .... cash tomorrow, is this okay? You can get a lot off the asking price.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:05:18 PM »
I got this info off another board.  If you get one of these emails go here and have some fun with them! 

http://www.419eater.com/

This is aimed at the 419 nigeria scam "hello, I'm royalty bla bla bla bla" , but they'll play with any kind of scam!
RIP KYOTA

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
I got this info off another board.  If you get one of these emails go here and have some fun with them! 

http://www.419eater.com/

This is aimed at the 419 nigeria scam "hello, I'm royalty bla bla bla bla" , but they'll play with any kind of scam!
Now that's funny!!   :suprised:
I like to Drive!

cyknife

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
this jerk wanted "my ford 4.0 v6 (90-94) engine"   when my post went

"for sale or trade (in central california)

900.$ for all or poss. part trade for ford 4.0 v6 (90-94) engine

most everything from 1984 toy sr5 4x4 pu. drivetrain..."

this was on the 28 o' march.

thought he was just stupid not criminal  :screwy:

till now....
deal face to face

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:38:15 PM »
The poor language is probably due to the fact that most identitiy theft and online scams originate in eastern Europe. Go figure.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
he emailed me back yet again....

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your response and your mail content duly noted.

You can not belief how only i had wished meeting you personally to discuss this regettably,i am not based in the U.S,but reside here in the U.K on similar business interest,I have a family home located here in  ontario Canada(3 Dominion St.Bracebridge,Ontario)
 where i have an old aged whare house(storage and restoration unit for similar items e.t.c)which is being run by my son and wife.

I have a recomended shipper their  who is expected to meet with you for inspection of the goods,surveys and arrangement for their conveyance to Ontario.

On getting the cheque cashed and all agreement are proven to be legitimate,he (the carrier)will be directed to establish contact with you for immediate transfer of the goods to Canada where my wife and my son are designated for recieving orders made by me.

Peter Raymond Reiss.

P.S.I assume you will send the pics in your next mail to me.To reach me:Phone contacts:Home 44-703-190-2249 and 44-870-0199-5214,I shall be expecting your call.Hope to hear from you soon.Please dont forget to give me the name of whom you want the cheque to be issued to and the full postal address and your phone and fax number.

Andy <------@yahoo.com> wrote:
you can reach me at ________ and i can answer all
your questions when you call.
Andy

--- peter reiss wrote:

> Hello
> I am interested in buying the 1986 22-rte with a
> blown headgasket that you have placed for sell
> now,and I would want to enquire about the present
> condition of the above mentioned,as well as some
> detail about you. I expect this timely enough.
>
>
> As for the payment, I would need you to get back in
> touch with the last asking price as I will be paying
> with a cashiers cheque.
>
> Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or
> house address, telephone and fax) details as I will
> subsequently prefer reaching you through these
> facilities.
>
> Yours interestingly,
>
> Peter Reiss.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:00:15 PM »
he emailed me back yet again....

Keep playing along. See what he does. Get the law involved.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:06:59 PM »
Keep playing along. See what he does. Get the law involved.
I second that!  :yupyup:   And if that the law doesn't get involved,

make up  utterly preposterous demands and frustrate him.  :haha:

Muhahaha
I like to Drive!

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:37:40 PM »
yeah I'm way weary about this stupid idiots.

My friend tried to sell her jeep on Auto Trader.  She had a guy start to call her about it said that he wanted to buy it for his daughter.  She was turning 18 and he wanted it for her birthday.  After her replying many times (she was desperate to sell it) he replied back with some screwed up story about how he had a near death experience on a oil rig (since he was supposedly a UN ambassador) and that once he was out of the hospital he was contact her shortly and buy it.  Then he sent her a check for 23,000 and asked her if she could send back 7 grand.  I told her from the beginning that he was stupid this guy had been toying with her for 2 months now and he was located in Ontario Canada.  She took the check to the bank they cleared it and she send back 7 grand.  Then spend 5 grand paying off bills and what not.  Then its get better.  The guy seeing that she was bought on to this asked her for another 3 grand to cover shipping cost and she'd be reimbursed when the person came to pick it up.  He now spoke even worse English on the phone and was getting upset when she didn't want to send the other 3 grand.  Long story short she got royally screwed and the her bank after some legal battling with her dad agreed to eat half of the money she withdrew from the fraudulent check because they cleared it immediately.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »
Dude, she should have known WAY better, and totally listened to you!  I agree with you guys, string them along, let them send a check and take it to the cops, then they'll refer it to the fbi.  Take em down hard!
RIP KYOTA

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2006, 07:20:11 PM »
Dude, she should have known WAY better, and totally listened to you!  I agree with you guys, string them along, let them send a check and take it to the cops, then they'll refer it to the fbi.  Take em down hard!

But whatever you do, do not touch the check! You do not want to contaminate the DNA evidence  :hahaha:

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:00:17 PM »
What is his user name?

And who has an email address like inc_inc@yahoo.com
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0