Author Topic: Bogging out??  (Read 2425 times)

Doosty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Bogging out??
« on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:49:32 PM »
Hello every one in sorta new to marlincrawler.
i was just writing to say i really like this site and was woundering if i could get some help.

I have a 1980 toyota pickup 20R with about 498,000 miles, 6 inch of lift wirh 35x16 boggers on it.  its still running strong day to day.
The other day i was doing about 65 kmh on the highway and it started to bog out. this isnt the first time its happend and was woundeing if any one would beable to help me out.??

Thx. Dusty
You Haven't Seen Cold Till You Lived Here

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
Re: Bogging out??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »
my guess would be with that many miles on the original motor........ after so many miles the rings are sure to be done... with highway speeds, im sure that you are getting some blow-by on the worn rings, thus creating a compression problem after everything starts spinning that fast at that heat range. (GIVEN, if thats on the original motor)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »
Hello every one in sorta new to marlincrawler.
i was just writing to say i really like this site and was woundering if i could get some help.

I have a 1980 toyota pickup 20R with about 498,000 miles, 6 inch of lift wirh 35x16 boggers on it. its still running strong day to day.
The other day i was doing about 65 kmh on the highway and it started to bog out. this isnt the first time its happend and was woundeing if any one would beable to help me out.??

Thx. Dusty
dude,  run a compression check and come back with the results  :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Doosty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:07:33 PM »
Well i bought the truck off the original owner who used it for basicly a traveling truck, all over canada that is. i know there was some engine work done to it around 280k.. ill try getting a compression check some time this week. im really busy  between fulltime high school and work. ill try to get back to you guys asap.

-Dusty

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2006, 11:57:04 PM »
I think you have the second highest miles after my 80 with 508,000 miles on it.  I'll be interested to know what your compression is.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Doosty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »
haha... yeah it does have allot of miles on it.i cant wait to hit the 500,000 mark. im amazed its still running.  i was amazed the other day when i went out to start it. It was out side not running for about 3-4 weeks cuz i was waiting for a new rad. i started it up no problem first try at -38 c Plus the wind.  it wasent even pluged in haha.

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:09:20 PM »
it's nice to see another person as young as me on hear. i also live in Canada but my winters are not nearly as cold, your truck is looking good for its age, mine on the other hand is not. I plan on sawping the front axle off my truck into my dads or putting his body on my frame with a couple e other parts. how did you acquire such a nice truck being your age and all, i would be happy if my truck moved under its own power, but its missing some stuff like some idle linkage junk. anyways cool truck, i hope you sort out your problem :biggthumpup:

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:25:04 PM »
first replace your fuel filter theres one under the hood and there might be one on the passenger side frame rail then if that doesent work  you could replace your spark plug wires it could also be a problem with your coil, ignitor
also pull the float bowl cover from your carb and check to make shure there arnt any deprease inside it i had a very and i mean very small chunk of gasket in mine that every now and then would get sucked up and cover the opening of one of the jets and would cause a similar problem to what your expeariancing
good luck

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
I just went through this and it was 2-fold, first off there should only be the 1 filter on the passenger wheel-well. Now on to the problem I had, 1st my carb was toast in the secondarys so you may want to consider a rebuild and second even though we don't have the computers like in later models but there is some monitering going on and I had a lean condition so I just uplugged the lean sensor so that it always runs rich.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Doosty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:53:32 PM »
4runner666--- haha well iv been workin since i was about 13 and i tend to save up. lol. but i dunno one of my moms friends ahd this truck for sale so i went and bough it. i spent 1600 on the actual truck its self, iv put a few more thousand into it and now just slowly fixin it up.

Yeah there is only one fuel filter and thats the one on the passanger side  innerfender. i changed that allong with some more stuff when i bought the truck. today i got some time so ill change out the plugs and wires. mabye check the carb if i get around to it. but im off for now so ttyl.

Dusty