Author Topic: V6/IFS solid axle brake upgrade ?'s  (Read 7245 times)

Denver83Toy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
V6/IFS solid axle brake upgrade ?'s
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
I have some questions about the v6 brake caliper upgrade for a first gen truck.  I've got a mostly stock 83 4x4 that needs some brake work anyway (It's got a leaking/non functional drivers side caliper and needs new pads and, I'm guessing, rotors).  Since I'm going to be doing all that anyway, it seems to make sense to go ahead and upgrade to the better v6 calipers and fj40 rotors.

The first question I have is, will this work and is it a bolt on upgrade?  I'm pretty sure it does, but I just want to make sure.

Secondly, I've searched but found conflicting answers as to whether I have to upgrade to the 1" FJ80 master cylinder or stay with what I've got.  Do I need the 1" cylinder?  What about a different booster?  I'm not planning on upgrading the rear brakes anytime soon.

Also, do I need the new hardlines that Marlin sells or can I make what I've got on the current calipers work?

Last question:  Is this worth it?  The truck has never been accused of stopping on a dime.  Will this make a noticeable difference?

Thanks!

fourwd1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '02
  • Out On Bail
    • View Profile
Re: V6/IFS solid axle brake upgrade ?'s
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »
Yes it's all bolt on and it works.
You should be fine w/the stock MC. I have the V6 calipers on my 84 along w/the wider IFS rear axle which has bigger brakes. The stock MC stops my 36" TSLs just fine. If you feel you need to you can always upgrade the MC later.
'80's Toyota 4WD P/U, Buick 231 V6, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, Downey headers, custom TH-350 L/U w/700R4 low gearing, dual tanks, dual batterys, other crap ...

- - - as seen in FOUR WHEELER magazine July 2006 - -
84 4Runner ARBed 5.29's F&R, 4.7 t-case, x-over, Chevy's, 2" drv train lift, 36" TSLs, 30 spline Longs, BudBuilt skid

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:50:57 AM »
if you do a little further searching youll find out that theres diffrent ways to go about using the upgraded parts. i myself have been on a quest for similar answers. some people have used the v6 calipers and flipped them to the other side of the mounts where they sit. ive also seen that theres some slight modification required to bolt it on as far as the threaded portion on the caliper is concerned. dust shield may be affected but some have said there was no problem by just triming the back side of it. im not sure what else is involved but from what ive read it makes a huge diffrence if you upgrade to this set up.

do a search for "v6 calipers" "fj40 rotors" and "brakes" should turn up some further info on it.

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:26:32 AM »

yes its bolt on
no you dont need to upgrade to the 1" MC without rear discs but wouldnrt hurt
the stock hardlines fit fine
yes its definately worth it, ifs calipers use 4 larger pistons

this setup on my 83 will lock up my 38's

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:51:45 AM »
i thought using the v6 calipers required to do a whole bunch of modding to the caliper mounting? retapping the calipers or something and mounting the caliper to the outside of the mounts? :dunno:

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:05:44 PM »
nope its a direct bolt on

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:12:46 PM »
so if i go buy the spacer from sky-manufacturing i can run the IFS rotors and calipers where it stands?

was it the FJ rotors that require you to flip em around or what was it?? i may be smoking something i think but i almost swear i recall reding something along those lines. :headscratch:

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:26:17 PM »
the IFS caliper works with the vented rotors as a direct bolt on no spacers needed. that pic you show is for the IFS hub conversion for widening the front so I'm not sure what you trying to do? brake upgrade or widening?

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »
(sorry denver83toy, dont mean to jack your thread)

im trying to widen the front to match the IFS rear axle.... but i was under the impression i also have to run this spacer to run the V6 calipers and rotors, reason why im thinking on getting the spacer because i thought id have to do all this modding to the brakes to use the V6 stuff. :dunno. so if i use the IFS hub, rotors and slap it on there will i still get 3 inches wider up front and be able to use the V6 calipers as well with no spacer? or do i need that spacer to gain the width to match the rear?

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2006, 12:20:17 PM »
(sorry denver83toy, dont mean to jack your thread)

so if i use the IFS hub, rotors and slap it on there will i still get 3 inches wider up front and be able to use the V6 calipers as well with no spacer?

No, the IFS calipers bolt up with Fj vented rotors for the brake upgrade. To widen the front use theIFS  hub,caliper and spacer, its the same as using a spacer on the outside of the hub but some people dont believe in using spacers (afraid they come loose) and doing it this way the spacer is bolted in behind the hub.

dieselsmoke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:56:33 PM »
ebay alert I got my rotors for 49.95 a pair + s/h the dude sells them online for 80.00 @ www.jtoutfitters.com
and lists them on ebay with a starting bid of 49.95 I got 2 pair and nobody ever bid against me
I'm going with the rear disk as well got hooked up here with some brackets that use yota solid axle calipers but I figure if they will bolt up then the v6 ifs calipers should as well
the only thing that kind of sucks is the rotor goes on the back side of the axle flange
but thats better than chevy chit not to mention I will have a total of 16 pistons on 4 rotors I should be able to make change for that dime
the kit also included an adapter plate for the master cyl. to use an 1 1/4 " bore dare I say chevy master, I plan on posting pic's when it's done

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:30:09 PM »
KYOTA- thanks for the info. i was very unclear as to wether or not the IFS caliper could be used on the truck without modding the hell out of it. thanks for clearing that for us. i think i know what my next step to take is.

GrenadedToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Maatt Daeemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:11:05 PM »
ok i need confirmation on this. i know someone who just did a SAS swap on a 86? runner. and he isnt going to use the ifs components. and i could get it for free. so i could use the calipers and rotors off the front and put them on my solid axle? sorry if i missed the obvious point here. :hammer:

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:30:32 PM »
yes. think you'll also need the wheel hubs to install it all. ask KYOTA for verification on this.

hell, if its free just grab all of it and whatever you dont use sell it here and help out some people that may need it. :thumbs:

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:03:03 PM »
Yes , very easy all bolt on.  you will spend about a day of light, well I did because I like things rebuilt and clean, it's a long process to remove all and put back together.

Yes it's worth it, espeacially if you have added weight to your rig like bigger tires

no you do not need to run the 1" master

I have a 82 4x4 with 35's / 36's, winch , dual cases and a V6 engine, big bumpers yata yata, the V6 upgrade was Awesome ! I never did the 1" master and had stock rear brakes

good luck
any other questions  search on pirate4x4  board

good luck :biggthumpup:
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

fourwd1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '02
  • Out On Bail
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:50:40 AM »
ok i need confirmation on this. i know someone who just did a SAS swap on a 86? runner. and he isnt going to use the ifs components. and i could get it for free. so i could use the calipers and rotors off the front and put them on my solid axle? sorry if i missed the obvious point here. :hammer:

NO. The IFS calipers will bolt onto the solid axle but the IFS vented rotors will not. That is why you use Land Cruiser vented rotors.
'80's Toyota 4WD P/U, Buick 231 V6, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, Downey headers, custom TH-350 L/U w/700R4 low gearing, dual tanks, dual batterys, other crap ...

- - - as seen in FOUR WHEELER magazine July 2006 - -
84 4Runner ARBed 5.29's F&R, 4.7 t-case, x-over, Chevy's, 2" drv train lift, 36" TSLs, 30 spline Longs, BudBuilt skid

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
umm...... so wich is it ?????????????

firekiller

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -46
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:16:29 AM »
ebay alert I got my rotors for 49.95 a pair + s/h the dude sells them online for 80.00 @ www.jtoutfitters.com
and lists them on ebay with a starting bid of 49.95 I got 2 pair and nobody ever bid against me
I'm going with the rear disk as well got hooked up here with some brackets that use yota solid axle calipers but I figure if they will bolt up then the v6 ifs calipers should as well
the only thing that kind of sucks is the rotor goes on the back side of the axle flange
but thats better than chevy chit not to mention I will have a total of 16 pistons on 4 rotors I should be able to make change for that dime
the kit also included an adapter plate for the master cyl. to use an 1 1/4 " bore dare I say chevy master, I plan on posting pic's when it's done

Hey dieselsmoke, who did you get your rear disc brackets from?  Been looking into that conversion with yota parts as well.  Whitetrash was working on something to use vented rotors, IFS I think, a little while back, but hasn't finished his brackets.  Would love to have yota parts in the rear discs as well instead of the Chevy Chit.  Found all the parts I'll need at the local boneyard, so all I need is brackets.  Are you going to try the vented rotors in the rear?

Tico
 :beerchug:

toyzuki

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2006, 09:01:09 PM »
there is a post on pirate that shows how to widen a toy front with out a spacer.if i wasnt so computer illiterate id could post the link.just search wide toy front and you'll find it.in the middle of it myself .all i have left is the fj60 rotors and slide it all togther. :cool:  :crossed: 

Sweet Jane

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Female Posts: 81
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Nuts... "They're what's for dinner!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2006, 10:38:21 AM »
Yes , very easy all bolt on.  you will spend about a day of light, well I did because I like things rebuilt and clean, it's a long process to remove all and put back together.

Yes it's worth it, espeacially if you have added weight to your rig like bigger tires

no you do not need to run the 1" master

I have a 82 4x4 with 35's / 36's, winch , dual cases and a V6 engine, big bumpers yata yata, the V6 upgrade was Awesome ! I never did the 1" master and had stock rear brakes

good luck
any other questions  search on pirate4x4  board

good luck :biggthumpup:

So if I get a
No, the IFS calipers bolt up with Fj vented rotors for the brake upgrade. To widen the front use theIFS  hub,caliper and spacer, its the same as using a spacer on the outside of the hub but some people dont believe in using spacers (afraid they come loose) and doing it this way the spacer is bolted in behind the hub.

Along with the FJ vented Rotors and the 6cylinder calipers...
Will the Larger Master Cylinder also 'mount right up - bolt right in' place of the stock one in an '85?
Even though the stock one is fine... is it no biggie to upgrade - replace the Master Cylinder while we're at it, too?

.... zippity doo dah... zippity eh?

Denver83Toy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2006, 07:13:23 AM »
Will the Larger Master Cylinder also 'mount right up - bolt right in' place of the stock one in an '85?
Even though the stock one is fine... is it no biggie to upgrade - replace the Master Cylinder while we're at it, too?

Yes, the master will bolt right in, however...

Having done this upgrade as a result of the answers in this thread  (Thanks for all your help everyone!) and other research, I would recommend _not_ upgrading the master cylinder until/unless you also upgrade the rear brakes to disks.  Together, even the four-large-cylinder type calipers (sold by Marlin) and the stock rear drums do not take enough fluid to work well with a 1" master cylinder.  A bigger master cylinder actually hurts overall braking unless it's matched with appropriate calipers/drums.

I pulled the MC and booster out of a '97 T100 4wd expecting to use both.  Ultimately, the T100 boster was enough bigger in diameter that it interfered with the steering shaft (and, to a lesser extent, with the clutch master), so I went back to the stock booster.  I'm going back to the stock size MC as well.  The pedal position is good - there's no question about it going to the floor - but the braking effort currently is much more than it was.  I really have to stomp on the pedal to lock the fronts up, enough that I would be nervous letting my wife drive the truck.  I was counting on the additional boost from the larger, dual diaphram booster to compensate for this.

It's simple enough to change out a master later; try the caliper swap first and see how the pedal feels.  I think you'll be happy, have better overall brakes, and have more $'s for something else.  My $0.02.