Author Topic: fire under the hood  (Read 3192 times)

sbc1875

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
fire under the hood
« on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:26:15 AM »
the truck is a 1991 toyota 4x4 with a 3.0 and i was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the starter solenoid staying on and catching on fire under the hood.  Any help would be appreciated. the starter is about a month old from schucks.
83 shortbed frame / 88 extra cab / toy rears up front / grand cherokee in rear i believe / stock gears and motor / first time out rolled it with a broken neck

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: fire under the hood
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:20:19 PM »
That would probably mean you have a short or need a new solenoid.  Most likley you have a short though, does the truck have any after market electronic crap.  Like stereo, winch, lights, etc...

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
the starter is about a month old from schucks.

Here is your problem!  When will people stop buying junk from these chains and start buying toyota new or remans?  Remember that little bit of cash you saved by going to kragen?  Didn't it just get far outweighed by the terrible inconvenience and added cost?  Not trying to preech or anything, but people usually just assume the factory parts are too expensive and go with the cheap places, but it's not always the case.  I priced a throttle position sensor for my 91 at autozone and it was $178, but another board member on here went to toyota and only paid $80!  In general I have a thread about a discount on toyota parts, so if you need anything else please look into that first so this doesn't happen again!  Good luck man.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:00:49 PM »
My automotive teacher always says to go to the dealership's parts department because they can sell you the small bits that chain stores will require you to buy all the parts for. He had the points go bad on a Toyota Camry and he went to Shucks and Napa and they both wanted around $185 for a whole new starter. The next day he went to the Toyota dealership and was out the door $20 dollars later with the new points he needed.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »
I know I wouldnt go wheeling with any inferior parts on my truck.  Walking a long way really sucks. Especially if it's cold and some :moon: tries to run you over. I wouldn't even chance getting stranded. Just my  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:13:38 PM »
My automotive teacher always says to go to the dealership's parts department because they can sell you the small bits that chain stores will require you to buy all the parts for. He had the points go bad on a Toyota Camry and he went to Shucks and Napa and they both wanted around $185 for a whole new starter. The next day he went to the Toyota dealership and was out the door $20 dollars later with the new points he needed.

Was this a starter or distributer? Points in a starter?  Just ribbn ya
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:41:33 PM »
 :smack:  :smack:  :smack:  :smack:  :smack:  :smack:

Yup....I my brain slips every once in a while
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

sbc1875 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:40:35 PM »
well it was the solenoid. replaced the starter and good to go minus the dunba$$ at schucks that said it is impoosible for a gear reduction starter to catch on fire.  sure proved him wrong.  Thanks for the input
83 shortbed frame / 88 extra cab / toy rears up front / grand cherokee in rear i believe / stock gears and motor / first time out rolled it with a broken neck

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:20:53 PM »
What, someone working at schucks doesn't know everything?!  I'm shocked, schocked.....well not that shocked.  Glad you got it working right, just keep an eye on the new one, and steer clear of those queers!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
What, someone working at schucks doesn't know everything?!  I'm shocked, schocked.....well not that shocked.  Glad you got it working right, just keep an eye on the new one, and steer clear of those queers!

well, you would be buying a starter from kragen :smack:

Kragen and those other chains aren't all bad.  They can get SOME remanufacutred stuff, I got a remanufactured TOYOTA steering box through them.  You just have to ask for specific parts.  Often, the employees don't even know they can get them, because the company doesnt get as much $$ selling Toyota remans, as their "partners" don't do the reman work.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent