Author Topic: MSD ignition  (Read 7422 times)

SKr3Wjeeps!!

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 105
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Got Rocks!!!
    • View Profile
MSD ignition
« on: Jan 21, 2006, 09:25:31 AM »
i was debating on getting a MSD 6a box for yota

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
Re: MSD ignition
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
and? :think:

I have it on my 22r and I don't know if it helped at all cause I never drove it without it but it still runs like crap on an angle or high altitude.  I don't know if I am gonna put it on when I do my efi conversion

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2006, 01:17:48 PM »
i don't think you can use one with a factory 22RE(computer controls spark).

on a 22R i hear it's a worthy upgrade, since a hotter spark will burn more fuel and keep it running longer on an incline.  a lot of guys neglect to open the gap on their plugs though, so they never notice a difference.   you can run a .045-050 plug gap with an MSD ignition.  autolite plugs work pretty well with them, as the center electrodes are pretty thick and don't get fried as quickly.

i'm running a 26 year old stock toyota ignition with an accel super coil and .045 plug gap.  runs like a top :biggthumpup:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »
Been there, and don't like that idea. Not that the MSD is not a good unit, but if it fails on the trail you better have a complete replacement ready to go. Now if you have the stock system not only can you get junkyard replacement parts but maybe your wheelin buddy will have what you don't that may help you get off the trail. Sometimes even a stranger that stops to help you ends up having that piece  and gladly forks it over for you to have.

A member of our club had all these goodies and fortunatly he did have a replacment, his Bronco died on the Rubicon and sure enough it was the MSD trigger that quit. 6 mos. later he had the Holly Pro-Jection on his rig, and it failed. We had to drag his sorry  :moon: off of Holcomb and then back to our campsites........ He now owns a brand new shinny Rubicon and is selling his Bronco.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:14:53 PM »
my stock ignitor went out before I ever got to drive my truck so I put on the msd, and about not being able to have spares I didn't cut any wires or plugs so I could just plug another stock coil and ignitor in there to replace it if I wanted to, Also I did open my gap up to .45 or whatever and carbs still suck, and you can run msd on a 22re but you still must use the stock ignitor and use the msd as a sort of amplifier

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2006, 07:26:30 PM »
my stock ignitor went out before I ever got to drive my truck so I put on the msd, and about not being able to have spares I didn't cut any wires or plugs so I could just plug another stock coil and ignitor in there to replace it if I wanted to, Also I did open my gap up to .45 or whatever and carbs still suck, and you can run msd on a 22re but you still must use the stock ignitor and use the msd as a sort of amplifier

Sounds like a waste to me, what if any benefits does converting (or plugging in) to the msd have? What were the costs compared to stock replacement? Were there any real gains in performance that would want you to replace what you already have? I do have a later model igniter in my truck (solidstate) but it is still Toyota and it was done for the relability of solid over switches.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:40:25 AM »
rs, i talked to pat about his msd, and he told me it was cheaper to put the msd in then buy a new igniter... i know this is true actually because i had an igniter fail on me... lal the local shops wanted $300 for a new one..... and i didnt want to buy a used one because there is no tellign what condition it is in......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2006, 12:49:26 AM »
a new msd box goes for around $150-170 bucks and actually does give like 5 sparks for each one a stock ignitor gives.  A stock ignitor at kragen is over $375 so that is why I did the swap plus it added some cool factor for all my muscle car friends

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2006, 02:15:24 AM »
They also say you get better fuel economy too!   :dunno:   But if your rock crawlin, I think the last thing on your mind is fuel economy! :hammer:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »
Now look what you guys did, I'm sitting here  and my truck won't start :dunno: and you already got me thinking. I won't be able to take a good look till Tues. but I did check the spark at the coil and it  does have spark. I ran out of time and will be checking everything else next week. I guess if I can't find a descent one used I'll be looking at an MSD especially if it's a direct plug in.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »
rs, if you have spark @ the coil, then your igniter isnt broken.......

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SKr3Wjeeps!! [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Got Rocks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:20:59 PM »
Now look what you guys did, I'm sitting here and my truck won't start :dunno: and you already got me thinking. I won't be able to take a good look till Tues. but I did check the spark at the coil and it does have spark. I ran out of time and will be checking everything else next week. I guess if I can't find a descent one used I'll be looking at an MSD especially if it's a direct plug in.
did you check if you have gas in it

SKr3Wjeeps!! [OP]

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Got Rocks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:34:33 PM »
anyways i have been looking at H.E.I distributor, has anybody tried one these\

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2006, 01:57:57 PM »
My buddy Joe Chacon ran a MSD system on his truck. Said it had better low end power & idle. You will need an extra module for the tach to use it as I remember.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2006, 04:10:06 PM »
rs, if you have spark @ the coil, then your igniter isnt broken.......

Could be a weak spark though I only had enough time to pull the coil wire and check if there was a spark then checked real quick to see if it were pumping gas (and it was) put all back together and cranked it again. It seemed like it wanted to kick in and then just went back to cranking. I have several spare igniters with coils attached so when I'm off this week I'm going to trouble shoot it. I'm thinking the coil or ignighter may be slowly going bad. I have had an ongoing issue for a while now and am actually happy it is not starting since we really couldn't pin-point the issue. Now that it won't fire up I'll be able to track it down and hopefully fix what was an intermittant problem. It would sometimes just start running like crap half way through a run but by the time I could try and figure out what was going on it would be running just fine. That is why I think it is one of the two that is messing up. My spares are the old style and work fine but if once I test it if it is the igniter  I prefer the solid state that came on the later models. So if it is a plug and play I may go with the MSD unit since I do have my spares and as long as I don't have to change the conectors I would be happy.

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
one thing that does suck about my msd is I can hear it clicking through my speakers when I mute my sterio but it is not very loud and I cannot hear it while driving.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2006, 07:26:41 PM »
one thing that does suck about my msd is I can hear it clicking through my speakers when I mute my sterio but it is not very loud and I cannot hear it while driving.

Stereo??  :headscratch: What's that  :dunno:  Oh that's what that thing is that I never use. :laugh: and that's that.

crx-si

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:22:59 PM »
My buddy Joe Chacon ran a MSD system on his truck. Said it had better low end power & idle. You will need an extra module for the tach to use it as I remember.

Do you need a module for the tach to work

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
yep you need a tach adapter for the factory tach to work, it's like 30 bucks, and I myself cant go without listening to a stereo seeing as I drive my truck over 50 miles a day

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:19:55 PM »
anyways i have been looking at H.E.I distributor, has anybody tried one these\

Doesn't any newer toyota basically have one stock? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

crx-si

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:33:30 PM »
yep you need a tach adapter for the factory tach to work, it's like 30 bucks, and I myself cant go without listening to a stereo seeing as I drive my truck over 50 miles a day

I don't see y you would need one you don't change anything it just amplifies the signal. I will know in a few days tho, when i get a chance to put in my 6al with my blaster ss coil

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2006, 11:30:50 PM »
the DUI is a great unit, they are known for awesomeness in the ford vehicles.... they are $$$$ though.....

RS, if you have any spark @ all, your ignitor works......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2006, 11:28:32 PM »
i've said this before, the picture of that HEI distributor doesn't do it justice.  a GM HEI cap is HUGE!  so big in fact, that you'll need to move your power steering pump somewhere else.  then there's the issue of the ignition modules in those things burning out pretty easy, they get really hot under that cap.

the toyota distributor is a very good, almost failsafe unit, for half the price of the DUI setup you can get a good MSD ignitor and coil that'll do just as well(or better) than that HEI system.  don't get me wrong, HEI is a cool idea(especially on something like a ford with a TFI junk ignition) but it's not always the best or most practical.

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:48:27 PM »
my buddy put a Crane ignition on his ranger he said it gave him a little more top end but other than that not much of a :hammerhead:  difference.  but it just has a sweet rev limiter.
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,