Author Topic: HELP!! Newb to CV's  (Read 8748 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: HELP!! Newb to CV's
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:46:56 PM »
There is an inner c-clip...you have to remove the third member to get at it.  Sorry  :(

:ack:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

supermat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -105
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • www.calfishing.com
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:10:48 PM »
Hahaha,
  You and BD better quite making fun of me soon, my truck may limp but at least it gets me down the road! Let me know if you've got any other questions... I can do a little bit more than cook.  :gap:

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2006, 10:12:03 PM »
FFC-

Heres what will fix your problem:   :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:

On some of those that really suck to remove, you've gotta really wail on them with the prybar to get them out.  Did you happen to post on the isuzu forum on pirate to see if anyone can help you there?  I'm not at work, or I'd look it up on alldata for you and email the procedure to you...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2006, 10:36:55 PM »
Hahaha,
  You and BD better quite making fun of me soon, my truck may limp but at least it gets me down the road! Let me know if you've got any other questions... I can do a little bit more than cook.  :gap:

BD makin fun of YOU??!!!!  :talkingn:  :haha: WOW I thought I was the one that got all the fun poked at!!  :haha:  :laugh:  :talkingn:

and hey :slap: my truck DOES get me down the road, not even limpin :yupyup:

:psss: ok ok, so you are good for a little advice in the kitchen :yesnod: :smooch:               :hahaha:

FFC-

Heres what will fix your problem: :flamer: :flamer: :flamer: :flamer: :flamer: :flamer: :flamer: :flamer:

On some of those that really suck to remove, you've gotta really wail on them with the prybar to get them out. Did you happen to post on the isuzu forum on pirate to see if anyone can help you there? I'm not at work, or I'd look it up on alldata for you and email the procedure to you...

Ryan

Ryan, I'm tempted  :flamer:    but I can't hardly allow a halfshaft to get me down.  I did post it on Pirate, and I've got a reply or two, basically saying the same thing that CT said :down:

Thank you fer yer input  :ladys-man: 

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:33:38 AM »
I still don't think you have to open the diff.  I think you're just not prying hard enough.  The 'yodas have a ring in a groove on the inside,but if you give your prybar a good push, it'll pop it right out. 

goodluck!!

Mat, I can make as much fun of you as I want, If I recall correctly, its my parts that keep your truck on the road. :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:19:41 AM »
There is no groove in the shaft for a clip. Looks like it is just a tight fit in the bearing. Lots of force should get it out.

:think: Do you have any fire crackers left?  :attention:

Two of these should do the trick.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009UFJAW/qid=1136726004/ref=cl_tr_br_cl/103-3316794-0583869?n=553330&s=hi&v=glance
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2006, 05:48:38 AM »
 :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :flamer:  :sly:  :yupyup:

In english that means SAS time!!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:51:40 AM »
There is no groove in the shaft for a clip. Looks like it is just a tight fit in the bearing. Lots of force should get it out.

:think: Do you have any fire crackers left?  :attention:

Two of these should do the trick.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009UFJAW/qid=1136726004/ref=cl_tr_br_cl/103-3316794-0583869?n=553330&s=hi&v=glance

Mark, believe it or not that's the same thing my stepdad tried to use when he took a few prys at it  :_oops:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:50:06 AM »
C4 or SAS If you do the C4 you gotta post some pictures, but I think the SAS will at least leave it drivable.  :hammerhead:

:therethere:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:54:37 AM »
C4 or SAS If you do the C4 you gotta post some pictures, but I think the SAS will at least leave it drivable.  :hammerhead:

:therethere:

Hhmmm It's tempting.... The C4 that is..

As fer the SAS... I don't have the tools nor parts for an SAS...and I don't think I wanna go full widths :nonono: So, I fix the IFS so that I can have a driver till I find a yota axle :headscratch:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:04:51 AM »
Now you guys got me thinkin :smack:

I gotta find a detailed swap so I can see exactly what it takes to do a swap.... Oh yeah, and an axle somewhere :ack: .............. :smack:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:14:05 AM »
This may help you,  :yesnod:

http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Products/DriveTrain/Protech/Tech_Bulletins/PT%20148-60.pdf

Hope you have pdf.

PDF? :down: My computer don't do nothin special :rivers:

Is there any way to copy and paste it into an email or something that I can see on my slow :moon: dialup? :down:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:43:59 AM »
Shud-up I know it's big.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:49:25 AM »
If the DOJ case does not require servicing, as is the case with outer CV-joint servicing or inner CV-joint overhaul, use this procedure. The halfshaft, with the exception of the DOJ case, can be removed without removing the entire front axle assembly.

If equipped with 4-wheel drive, shift the transfer case shift lever into 2H. Drive the vehicle a few feet forward and reverse to verify that the front axle is disengaged.

Set the front wheels and steering wheel in the straight-ahead position. Lock the steering column in this position, and remove the key.

Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.

Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.

Remove the front wheels and underside skid plate.

Remove the front brake calipers and caliper mounting brackets. Do not disconnect the brake line. Hang the brake calipers from a wire, do not allow the calipers to hang from the brake hoses. For more information, refer to Brakes .

Remove the locking hub assembly and rotors on both sides, as described earlier in this section.

If equipped with ABS, unbolt the front wheel sensor brackets from the steering knuckles. Move the sensors out of the work area. They do not need to be disconnected.

Use a ball joint separator tool to disconnect the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, and then remove the steering knuckles.

If necessary for added clearance, matchmark and disconnect the pitman arm and idler arm. Remove the steering linkage as an assembly.

Remove the inner CV-joint boot clamp, then slide the boot away from the joint. To remove the clamp, it may be necessary to pry the hooked end of the clamp up with a small prytool.

Remove the circlip from the DOJ case, then pull the halfshaft away from the DOJ case.

Remove the halfshaft from the vehicle.

To install:

If the halfshaft was not overhauled, clean the DOJ joint of all dirt and grease, then fill the inner boot and DOJ with 5.25 oz. (150g) new grease. Install the halfshaft into the DOJ case and install the circular clip into the groove so the open ends are positioned away from the ball groove.

Slide the boot onto the DOJ case, insert a tool under the boot lip to allow the pressure to equalize and tighten the new boot clamps. The boot should be installed so the edge of the smaller end is 6.5 in. (16.5cm) from the opposite edge of the DOJ case.

Install the steering knuckles and assemble any suspension components that were disconnected or removed.

Install the rotor and hub assemblies, as described earlier in this section.

Install the caliper mounting brackets and the brake calipers. For more information, refer to Brakes .

If necessary, install the steering linkage assembly.

If equipped, reconnect the ABS front wheel sensors.

Install the radiator skid plate. Tighten the bolts to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).

Install the transfer case skid plates and tighten their bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).

Install the front wheels.

Lower the vehicle, remove the rear wheel blocks and adjust the ride height.

If the steering linkage was removed, have the front wheel alignment checked by a reputable automotive technician.

If necessary, bleed the brake system.

Verify that the front axle and hubs engage and disengage properly.

Road test the vehicle.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #45 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:54:28 AM »

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
Ok RS :smooch: Thank you...

#'s 6 and 8 concern me... the 2 snap rings on the inside of the axle :headscratch: This makes it sound so simple.... :smack: I'm runnin into town for a few then I'mma get on it and let you guys know how it goes..... Meanwhile, a torch is sounding more and more inviting :gap:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »
The only bad thing if you follow that link was if you are removing the DOJ case then it gets ugly. :shudder:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:58:49 PM »
if she goes that far she might as well SAS

FFC  i have a empty housing, with knuckles and spindles, :psss: email me
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:59:53 PM »
although i bet you caN find one local for cheaper than $100,  at least you 'd think
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #50 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
Glen, Emailed you :smooch:

the DOJ? :headscratch:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:37:37 PM »
the DOJ  is that plate i told you not to pry on :screwy:  apparently that plate has to come off,  do you need that replaced,  can you just replace the other part of the shaft???

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:39:12 PM »
better yet, take that shaft back and get your money back and get that front axle from :psss:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:21:37 PM »
better yet, take that shaft back and get your money back and get that front axle from :psss:
I like that idea better..... but :psss: couldn't talk bout it right then... waiting for :psss: to get back online so I can talk to him.

My stepdad is gettin upset cuz the Migo's been on jacks since the day before yesterday :smack: I don't know how long I can keep it immobile :down:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »
:smack: This is what's gotta happen....

Found this on an Isuzu site... guess I'm pullin the front end on the Migo.... In order to get all that out I have to pull the A-arm :ack:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:17:11 PM »
:aaa:  ok  why do you need a new shaft :dunno:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:25:06 PM »
Uhmmmm.... that's not my setup.  I haven't got that far yet.  I just found that on a writeup on a Isuzu site... I already got the whole axle so I thought I may as well replace the whole thing :headscratch:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:44:05 PM »
but for the work you gotta do  just go SAS

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »
OH the stupidity  Why in the hell did they make it like that  :screwy: 

Can you just separate the inner joint and leave the outer part of the inner joint there? I would hope they didn't machine the ball races and use larger balls.  :headscratch:

What side is your front driveshaft on?   :flamer:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:18:51 PM »
they made it that way so when your brought it to the dealer for replacement they could charge you $5000  to replace a $50 part