Author Topic: a special thank you to our troops  (Read 149648 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: a special thank you to our troops
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2008, 01:25:50 AM »
I'm looking at rifles now...trying to get two for one. Well two types of weapons with one round, should make it easier to keep a stock pile going. I'm looking at the .308 for CQB a maybe the same in a Kimber 8400 series for longer use.

You can buy .308 ammo dirt cheap, some military loads, some re-loads and some just bottom of the barrel rounds.  I plan to stock up some day, though I still have never installed the new scope and shot mine.  It's an old remington 788 and should offer sub moa groups with a steady hand.  My .243 in the same model does. 

Kimber makes some very nice guns, just a bit spendy for me!  If I were to buy one new I'd look very seriously at the ruger m77 options and savage with the accu trigger. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Jun 03, 2008, 10:53:56 PM »
I was just reading some accounts of what my future SIL was involved in during his time in Iraq. Mainly in the Mosul and Fallujah areas in 2004. I was compelled to drop this quick note to all of our military men and women across the globe.

Woefully inadequate as it is...you have my deepest thanks and most profound respect.  :usa:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Jun 04, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »
I know this probably has been posted before...I don't care, this is one of the most powerful photos I have ever seen.

Remember, the sacrifices of even our youngest are sometimes the greatest.  :usa:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Jun 04, 2008, 12:22:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing, abnormaltoy.  Every time I hear about a soldier dying it makes me so sad, and that is the first thing I think about is who all he/she left behind.  Before seeing the pic you posted, this is one of the most moving ones I had seen.  It really stuck with me:

:usa:        :usa:        :usa:        :usa:        :usa:        :usa:     
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Jun 04, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing, abnormaltoy.  Every time I hear about a soldier dying it makes me so sad, and that is the first thing I think about is who all he/she left behind.  Before seeing the pic you posted, this is one of the most moving ones I had seen.  It really stuck with me:

That's a heart breaker there. Who knows how their lives may have turned out.

EDIT: I just found some info on Sgt. Regan...
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jjregan.htm

http://www.antonnews.com/manhassetpress/2007/02/16/news/

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130240

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Jun 04, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »
Breaks my heart in the morning while watching the news and they show a picture of the latest fallen.  Only thing I can do is say a quick prayer for the family left behind.  But that just feels so inadequate.    :down:
I like to Drive!

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #216 on: Jul 25, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
i got this email from a soldier in Iraq

:headshake:

Hello everyone,                 As you know I am not a very political person. I just wanted to pass along that Senator Obama came to Bagram Afghanistan for about an hour on his visit to "The War Zone". I wanted to share with you what happened. He got off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle, got to the area to meet with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander here at Bagram. As the Soldiers where lined up to shake his hand he blew them off and didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the General. As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty much a big top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out in with weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing basketball. He again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for their service. So really he was just here to make a showing for the American's back home that he is their candidate for President. I think that if you are going to make an effort to come all the way over here you would thank those that are providing the freedom that they are providing for you. I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the President of the United States . I just don't understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country.
                    If this is blunt and to the point I am sorry but I wanted you all to know what kind of caliber of person he really is. What you see in the news is all fake.

In service,
CPT Jeffery S. Porter
Battle Captain
TF Wasatch
American Soldier
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Jul 25, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »

:rivers:  somebody give her a hug  :rivers:

I know this probably has been posted before...I don't care, this is one of the most powerful photos I have ever seen.

Remember, the sacrifices of even our youngest are sometimes the greatest.  :usa:
:rivers:  God be with him, and may Angels  guard his son for all his life :usa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Jul 25, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
i got this email from a soldier in Iraq

:headshake:

I'm sorry Glen, I had to:   http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

Says it's not accurate.   :smooch:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Jul 25, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
I'm sorry Glen, I had to:   http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/afghanistan.asp

Says it's not accurate.   :smooch:
so says a army spokeswoman  that was  told to say that :dunno:

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Jul 28, 2008, 05:50:45 PM »
so says a army spokeswoman  that was  told to say that :dunno:

X2

Cant have a soldier badmouthing a Presidential candidate can we? Might make the military look biased against the democratic party. :shake_head:

I belive this pretty much because it fits everythign that I have heard about the guy up to this point. He does nto sound like a guy who would get down and be social with anyone "beneith" him. I am honestly surprised that there where soldiers lined up to shake his hand.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

poop-zuki

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Jul 29, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
to all the men and women who serve are country!  :usa:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #222 on: Aug 22, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »
A thank you in the ultimate, I don't know his name yet but Mackenna's father a friend of my grand-daughter gave his life for our freedom last week. Prayers go out to Mackenna age 12 and her family. He was stationed at 29 Palms Marine Corp. Base.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #223 on: Oct 07, 2008, 12:48:27 PM »
If there is anyone overseas right now, let me know. I have a few things I want to send out in a care package. Including a stack of at&t phone cards.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Nov 08, 2008, 03:34:59 PM »

MAY THE SUN SHINE DOWN ON YOU ON REMEMBERANCE DAY

THE  FINAL  INSPECTION

The soldier stood and faced God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets;

You've done your time in Hell."

~Author Unknown~

It's the Soldier, not the reporter WHO has given us the freedom of the press.

It's the Soldier, not the poet, WHO has given us the freedom of speech.

It's the Soldier  WHO  ensures our right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,

Not the politicians.

It's the Soldier who salutes the flag, WHO serves beneath the flag, AND whose coffin is draped by the flag.

If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the Military,

PLEASE pray for our men and women

WHO have served and are currently serving our country

AND pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

God bless our soldiers, sailors and airmen, past and present.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2008, 03:46:25 PM by V-Man »

MrsBUBBA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Female Posts: 61
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
 :usa:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
i got this from one of our beloved soldiers and Marlin family,  he is willing to pay  but all i had was the ifs hub flanges, but he cant use them in Japan  :dunno: some law

Hey man long time no hear from.  I have been busy.  I Am still in Okinawa Japan.  But I just got back from being in Iraq for 7 months then I was home for 1 1/2 months then went to Thailand for 2 months.  So I have been gone for a long time.  I Have a problem tho.  I hope you can help me with I have a 1993 TOY 4 runner and it has Auto hubs.  I need a set of manual hubs for IFS TOY.  I put a ball joint space5r kit on it and cranked the torison bars up.  So now I need the whole parts to put manual hubs on it.  That is the hub and the retainer nuts for it.  If you could hook me up with someone or score me some parts.  I will pay you for them and the shipping to me.  Thanks agian.  Hope you are doing fine and the truck is still runing strong.

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Nov 25, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
If anyone can spare a buck or two, you can put it to great use by helping to bring our soldiers home for the holidays!!

http://www.lbeh.org

Let's Bring Em Home is a non-profit organization that has helped bring lots of our heroes home for the last SEVEN years!  They aren't coming anywhere close to meeting their goals this year so far, due to the broken down economy.

ANYTHING you can spare will help!  They take PayPal and all sorts of other means of payment, AND you'll get a receipt for your tax-deductable donation.  Please think about sending a few bux their way!  It's a very reputable and trust-worthy organization, I promise!

:usa:    http://www.lbeh.org     :usa:

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Dec 11, 2008, 07:37:27 PM »
"THE SOLDIERS NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS"

“Merry Christmas, My Friend” by LCpl James M Schmidt, USMC, 1986

Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,

In a one bedroom house made of plaster & stone.

I had come down the chimney, with presents to give

and to see just who in this home did live

As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,

no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.

No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand.

On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.

With medals and badges, awards of all kind,

a sobering thought soon came to my mind.

For this house was different, unlike any I'd seen.

This was the home of a U.S. Marine.

I'd heard stories about them, I had to see more,

so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door.

And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone,

Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.

He seemed so gentle, his face so serene,

Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine.

Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?

Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?

His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan.

I soon understood, this was more than a man.

For I realized the families that I saw that night,

owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.

Soon around the Nation, the children would play,

And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day.

They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year,

because of Marines like this one lying here.

I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone,

on a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home.

Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye.

I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.

He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice,

"Santa, don't cry, this life is my choice

I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more.

My life is my God, my country, my Corps."

With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep,

I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.

I watched him for hours, so silent and still.

I noticed he shivered from the cold night's chill.

So I took off my jacket, the one made of red,

and covered this Marine from his toes to his head.

Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold,

with an eagle, globe and anchor emblazoned so bold.

And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride,

and for one shining moment, I was Marine Corps deep inside.

I didn't want to leave him so quiet in the night,

this guardian of honor so willing to fight.

But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure,

said "Carry on, Santa, it's Christmas Day, all secure."

One look at my watch and I knew he was right,

Merry Christmas my friend, Semper Fi and goodnight.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »
Mini's post http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54681.0 inspired me to post these lyrics. I love the whole song...but the higlighted verses deeply move me.

America the Beautiful
Words by Katharine Lee Bates,
Melody by Samuel Ward

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain!
America! America!
Till souls wax fair as earth and air
And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,
Whose stem impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
Till paths be wrought through
wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man's avail
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
Till nobler men keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee!

:usa: Thanks

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Aug 18, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
I just wanted to say to any personnel that read this...even though I don't come here as often as I used to, you are never far from my heart...in prayer and with pride!

I hope everyone can stay safe in Afghanistan, as you work to ensure a safe and accurate election!

:usa:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Kevin Reimers

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Aug 25, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
Thats Beautiful- God bless America

starrunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -27
  • Male Posts: 71
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Aug 26, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »
makes me proud to be an American and a USCG rescue swimmer.
BEER PONG! you can play me, but cant beat me

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Aug 26, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
My good friend ships out in less than two weeks.   I will be thinking of him.  :usa:
I like to Drive!

SWAMPER

• Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: Aug 29, 2009, 06:13:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing, abnormaltoy.  Every time I hear about a soldier dying it makes me so sad, and that is the first thing I think about is who all he/she left behind.  Before seeing the pic you posted, this is one of the most moving ones I had seen.  It really stuck with me:

:usa:        :usa:        :usa:        :usa:        :usa:        :usa:    

I hope this lady finds peace....honestly this is exactly what makes me sad....thinking of how my fiance and family would hurt if I passed concerns me more than anything i dont know if this makes sence :dunno:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Aug 29, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »
Of course it makes sense. As much as I admire and honor the military personnel, those who are waiting at home, may have a bigger burden than those who are deployed because they don't have any "buddies" in their unit to share the load with. The old saying is "They also serve, who only stand and wait".

That picture speaks to me not only of the huge sacrifice made by military through out history, but also to the lost potential.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

SWAMPER

• Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
indeed well lets hope we push through swiftly, destroy and return
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Aug 29, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
indeed well lets hope we push through swiftly, destroy and return

True  :usa:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg [OP]

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
I hope this lady finds peace....honestly this is exactly what makes me sad....thinking of how my fiance and family would hurt if I passed concerns me more than anything i dont know if this makes sence :dunno:

it makes alot of sense Pablo,  one way that she can find a support group is with other soldiers wives/girlfriends i know they are a tight group

Godspeed :usa:

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Aug 31, 2009, 04:15:01 PM »
Here's a little memorial video I saw about our fallen TACP (Tactical Air Control Party)  It's an Air Force special operations group. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YmtFJ2LiMQ

Forever grateful for all those who have given it all.  I pray I never have to go to Arlington for any reason.