Author Topic: Solid axil camber adjustment  (Read 3346 times)

RunnerRick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
Solid axil camber adjustment
« on: Oct 21, 2005, 09:35:17 PM »
Can the camber be adjusted on a solid axial if so how? I have a 84 4-runner and if you look at the truck from the front the bottom of the wheels go in(negative camber?)and it is pretty noticeable. Both sides are even.

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Solid axil camber adjustment
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2005, 11:14:02 PM »
Rick if the bottom of the tires are pulled in, this is positive camber.  In at the top .... negative camber.

Most shops I have talked with on this first want to bend the housing. (not sure if they want to do it for the $$$ or why :headscratch: ) but I personally do not favor doing that.  I have heard of a kit out there that is installed at the king pin, kind of like an offset cam but have personally never seen it.  My preferred option would be to shim the spindle  :clap: (if you can find shims to do this.... I think they are called cosmo shims) to get the desired camber.  Once it is in, no worries what so ever!!! :thumbs:

Hope this helps.

Stewy
It's built Chevy tough with Toyota stuff!

flyin ryan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2005, 11:18:17 PM »
I have this same problem.   I think I remember reading once before that it might have something to do with the trunion bearings.  It's more noticable with my 35" tires than my 30" tires.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2005, 01:43:40 AM »
I have really been thinking about buying the oem tool to shim the trunion bearings correctly. I have 2 toys w/solid axles now so the 100 bucks is almost worth it. I know the axle in the 90 is not correct just by looking at the way the wheels set.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2005, 09:17:00 AM »
When I had a buddy of mine truss my front (100% all the way across) he did not allow enough room for the fact that the fabrication he did would pull on the axle and it made both sides positive camber for me as well.

I think the trunion bearings your talking about are the same thing as the king pin bearings??????

Stewy

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2005, 09:56:43 AM »
yes  the trunion bearings are what on a chevy or ford would be a kingpin

check your bearings befor doing anything weird like bending a housing :smack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2005, 12:58:24 PM »
Are you looking at it while the tires are on the ground? I've noticed that sometimes the tires will have the appearance of being out of camber after you've pulled up and parked. I found that, sometimes, the cause is too much toe in. It causes the tires to pull together and look like the camber is off. Jack up the front end and watch while you do it, the tires might slide outwards after the weight is off.
The other way to find out for sure is to take it to an alignment shop and have them check it for you.
If the camber is off, then your housing is probably bent.

RunnerRick [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2005, 07:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the good info, I thought the housing might be bent too but why would it bend the tires in, and even on both sides. I did not notice this untill I put the 35's on too.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2005, 08:28:45 PM »
If your toe in too much, it will cause this and it will do it evenly like you're discribing. The 35's just have more sidewall and may exagerate the problem more.

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2005, 08:39:03 PM »
Jack the front off the ground and move the wheel back and forth to see if the wheel bearings have play or its the trunion bearings. I had this problem on my axle and found out the wheel bearings were just really loose. SO i replaced them and tightened them the correct way and its now fixed.
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2005, 04:23:39 PM »
ya good call

wheel bearings or trunion bearings

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2005, 06:26:02 PM »
but check your toe in cause fireball has a extremely good point,  if those 35's are toe'd in a little it will actually pull the bottom of the tires in,  if the trunion or wheel bearings are worn at all this will cause what you are describing,,  get a buddy,  a jack and a tape measure,  jack up one side , or both  and then measure just below the spring in the rear of the tires,  outside of tread to outside of tread,  then do the same in front ,  you should be within 1/4 inch at least , with 35's  if not rotate your tierod,  to move the tow in/out as needed
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2005, 07:48:03 PM »
Yep .... or just go pay $19.99 to your favorite shop to have it done right and be done with it. :thumbs:

too much toe will wear the out side of the tires, giving the impression that it has "positive camber"

Stewy   8)