Author Topic: Do you think this fj40 is fairly priced?  (Read 9248 times)

wantatlc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
Do you think this fj40 is fairly priced?
« on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:34:47 PM »
I have been looking for an fj40 rig. this guy contacted me (unsolicited) and offered to me this rig for 9k in June. kept emailing and such, but I was not really into it. He emaled me more and more to atleast come see it for myself. so, he finaly got me to go check it out and drive it as it is close to me (so, what the heck). At the same time, he put it on the web for 12k OBO! So, I go see it and all of the sudden, the 9k price is out the window!!!! he wanted 10k on the spot knowing 12k is high - but 9k is what he said in the email!! Well, a few days later, he said 9.5k firm and has been really nickle & diming me on top of that (wants me to pay the $10 smog cert fee for example - whatever). I have walked at this point as it seems high (and he told me 9k from the beginning and is toying with me) as I have seen others with more to offer (newer rebuilt parts, lower miles, substantial mods, nice extras, etc.) for similar for less money, but generally older model years.

SO, I could be wrong and want your thoughts about the price of 9.5k. here is the descriptoin and some photos. nice rig, nothing really stands out or is really wrong, but it is a 'nice' rig.:

·* April 1979 Production Date
·* 84,085 miles on 2F stock motor
·* Stock Power Steering
·* Stock Front Disc Brakes
·* Valve job last 150 miles
·* Passes California emissions
·* New water pump
·* 33x12.5 MTR’s on American Steel Wheels
·* Stock rims included with tires
·* Besttop Bikini top
·* Full Besttop softtop with soft doors
·* Complete original hardtop included
·* Ambulance doors and full side doors
·* Rear custom tailgate
·* 2 inch spring lift
·* Rear lockrite locker
·* Tuffy center console
·* CB
·* Bucket seats
·* Hi lift jack-loc holder

I am offering up for sale this 1979 FJ40.* It runs nicely, passed CA emissions a month ago and recently had a valve job.* The engine is running great.* It is not set up for anything specific yet, a 2 inch spring lift to fit the 33’s, a lockrite rear locker for some milder trails so it is ready to take whatever direction someone wants to take it.* I have the original hardtop, ambulance and side doors which are in excellent condition.* The interior is not all stock, but does have the rear heater.* There are aftermarket bucket seats and one has a tear in it, but with seat covers you never see it.* The seats are comfortable, have 4 inch lap belts and are separated by a Tuffy console that currently houses a stereo, which is pretty lame.* The Tuffy console is fine.* It is the radio that is lame, but easily upgraded.

This is a classic Southern California cruiser that does not need a “frame” off restoration.* It is in that state where you can make it a head turning mall crawler, a rock solid trail rig, your daily driver, weekend warrior to the beach, or turn it into the next competition rock buggy.* I bought this one, just because of that.* Unfortunately at the same time, my wife spotted an RV and since I have another FJ40, “we” decided to get the motorhome, so one of the FJ40’s has to go.* The previous owner was a lady that used it primarily as a daily driver, so forgive the purple lapbelts, they can be changed as well, or not depending on your personal preferences.

The only rust issues I can find are cancer bubbles on the right and left rear quarter panel, see on picture included, and the front bib.* I will include an original and most excellent front bib from another 1979 cruiser.* I just have not replaced it yet.* It requires removing 8 bolts.* I am trying to ensure full disclosure of the status of the vehicle to the best of my knowledge and welcome any questions or clarifications. It also has a star crack in the front windshield on passengers side.

Ok, so it is not fully restored or completely stock, but it is a solid 1979 FJ40. I am asking $12K OBO, so let's make a deal*

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Do you think this fj40 is fairly priced?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:38:26 PM »
Sounds like the guy is a PITA, walk away, it is too nice anyway...find one thats beat up more, cut off the cancer and WHEEL!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:43:13 PM »
yeah, doesnt sound right to me either.  It looks nice, but something doesnt sound right, and if he's nickel and diming you, it aint worth it
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

wantatlc [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:44:37 PM »
yeah, doesnt sound right to me either.  It looks nice, but something doesnt sound right, and if he's nickel and diming you, it aint worth it

you mean, something doesn't sound right about the truck itself?

or something doesn't sound right about the guy selling it :)

decyfer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 240
  • Member since Mar '05
  • look at that ass
    • View Profile
    • my little business
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:46:17 PM »
something tells me NO. i wouldn't. the guy seems shady. plus i have the same shitty walmart battery. so you know he's a sleeze like me :greengrin:
is it bad when you unplug the power wire from your stereo and it still plays

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »
To the point:  9K is to much,if it had a V8 MOD maybe.  He's playing games with you. If the deal was an honest deal then he would have stuck with the original 9K.  Do yourself a favor walk away.

wantatlc [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:52:09 PM »
plus i have the same shitty walmart battery. so you know he's a sleeze like me :greengrin:

thats classic!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:55:23 PM »
you mean, something doesn't sound right about the truck itself?

or something doesn't sound right about the guy selling it :)

no the rig seems decent, from the pics and description, for mabye 6K.  No way I'd even pay 9, but the way he's tryin to handle you aint right, I'd walk away if I were you
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

decyfer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 240
  • Member since Mar '05
  • look at that ass
    • View Profile
    • my little business
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:58:20 PM »
is it bad when you unplug the power wire from your stereo and it still plays

wantatlc [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2005, 06:59:29 PM »
please advise, is a "2 inch spring lift" mean the same as replacing the leaf springs?

the reason I ask is that I got to reading my emails from him and he also states that "The only real change from stock are the upgraded seats and new leaf springs, since the stock Toyota ones always end up sagging." - yet, that leaf spring upgrade is not mentioned in his want ad above NOR did he say it when I was actaully at his house and when I got under the truck, they did not look new to me and truck still seems to sag and lean back a bit (or os that normal?). Point is, I wonder if that was yet additional BS or does "2 inch spring lift" mean something other than "leaf spring upgrade"?

toyrolet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Apr '05
  • guns dont kill people!!! people do
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2005, 07:40:22 PM »
nah if it is a repalcement then it would be just that.  if they are indeed 2inch lift then it is a lift.  from what i can see from the pic it looks stock hieght with big tires.  just my 2 cents
Redneck defined: Devine Lack of Sofistication
Life is sexually transmitted
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

toyrolet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Apr '05
  • guns dont kill people!!! people do
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2005, 07:46:52 PM »
maybe look out for a bait and switch?  just be careful.  wonder why he was in such pursuit of you anyway? 
Redneck defined: Devine Lack of Sofistication
Life is sexually transmitted
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

wantatlc [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2005, 08:11:31 PM »
maybe look out for a bait and switch?  just be careful.  wonder why he was in such pursuit of you anyway? 

bait and switch s eaxctly what i felt like! I think he was in pursuit (like 10 emails or so after I said no thanks), becuase he knows I want an fj40, I am not as savy as some of you or him on the rigs, and he thought I would be an easy target????

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2005, 09:48:24 PM »
that thing is CLEAN, id offer 9, like he said originally, out the door, no nickles ect. see what he says, hell call you a week later and agree to your offer i bet

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2005, 11:13:40 PM »
I'd say for 9k its a fair deal,,its really clean and a fair price for a stock rig..However is what your asking is is this a fair price for a trail rig,,then maybe this is not the rig for you..I bet for a few mor bucks you can find one with more upgrades and better set up for wheel'n..This is more of a sunday drive restore project or someone that just want a clean stock crusier rather then a trail rig..
 :twocents:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

wantatlc [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2005, 11:26:06 PM »
I'd say for 9k its a fair deal,,its really clean and a fair price for a stock rig..However is what your asking is is this a fair price for a trail rig,,then maybe this is not the rig for you..I bet for a few mor bucks you can find one with more upgrades and better set up for wheel'n..This is more of a sunday drive restore project or someone that just want a clean stock crusier rather then a trail rig..
 :twocents:

well, it is not available at 9k actually. that was the bait email he used. when I got there, it was 10k all of the sudden. then 2 days later "okay, for you I will go 9.5k".

anyway, some others say it is not so clean with the rusty bib, and cancer in the rear sill.

my question specifically, forgetting the weirdness by the owner, given the description (which mentoins the pros and cons) and photos is, for that specific rig in that state, is 9.5k fair?

I do want a trail rig and trail capable, but I am not looking for a hardcore crawler. I want to use it every single day, but be able to take it on trails. I have a post on what I am looking for here, which is what he responded to: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12889.0

this rig could meet those needs exactly, I would need to do some work on it to build it up like I want it, but as is, my gut feeling from day 1 and comparison of other rigs is that that price is hella high for the rig in that condition (85k on engine, some pretty good cancer rust, no major mods or improvements on rebuilt parts, ice but just stock with no real bonus items, etc.).

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2005, 11:28:23 PM »
I dont know for sure, but I would walk away. I almost lost my 4runner for 200 bucks though because at first it was 7500 and then we got it inspected and it needed some repairs and we told her we couldnt pay more than 6000 and she would not go lower than 6200 for like 3 days. She was weird, she wouldnt let us take delivery until after the check cleared even though she can see our house from her driveway and come on....it was an older 4runner and she had a couple tight cars in the garage, an escelade a trail blazer and a nice chevy truck.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2005, 12:31:41 AM »
well this is my buddy shop..his name is tony,,ask him to take a look at the pics..This is all they do and he would be the best one to talk to about it..They do alot of retstore on rigs and deal with alot of parts and rigs..you could e-mail tony the pics and get a better idea from him..I know those rigs are not cheap,,even a fixer upper is worth bucks,,so get in touch with them and go from there if youe serious about this rig..I would say no more then 9k,,but see what tony says..His contact info is on his web site,,alot of the pics are down,,but you can still call him,,,there open after 10am i think.. 

http://www.landcruisernw.com/

shawn

Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

wantatlc [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Duuude
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »
thanks shawn. I am gonna contact him. I think that between this post, my original gut feeling and research, and another post on another fourm, I have conevered my bases and the responses seem to be pretty much the same and all in the same direction: no!

(BTW, I know some girls out here in So Cal that have boobies like your avatar  :thumbs: )

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2005, 11:00:58 PM »
Even 9 seems high to me, a year ago my supervisor went to check out a very clean fj40 in stock condition for $4,000, ran very well, he told the guy he'd call him the next day, called him when he got home half hour later to say he'd buy it and guy said he sold it ten minutes after he left.  I almost puked when he showed me the pictures, the thing was nearly perfect, no rust, original paint, good upholstry, etc etc.  I'm not sayin they're not worth 9, cause they're worth whatever the market is going for, just sayin he should be closer to half way between that and the one here.  It's just funny how people try and get so much for something when it's deemed a classic, then an old man with a cherry rig decides to sell his for peanuts!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rusty_tlc

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 10
  • Member since Jul '05
  • rust never sleeps
    • View Profile
    • Battle Born Cruisers
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2005, 08:04:27 PM »
I think 9K is way high. I looked at one at least as nice two weeks ago that was going for 5.5K and I thought that was high. The biggest difference was it didn't have the factory PS and disk brakes. From what I've read on different boards pricing varies a lot from one area to another.
Reno, just a little north of Las Vegas.

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »
If your still looking for a cruiser check this one out. Mike does incredible work.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385439

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »
that rig is stock, i dont care what dude says, if it had 2" springs installed it was 10 years ago,,  run , FAST  you want a rig you can wheel, not pay out the nose for a restored stock rig

if it was out here i would offer him $4500, not a penny more
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Gravel Maker

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:32:30 AM »
Buy Mikes if you want a nice cruiser. It has gone up a little because he has done some more work on it. It is a cruiser that is worth much more than he is asking.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:08:11 AM »
I would just walk, no run away from this dude!  He's just dicking you!  For $9k it should not have any rust, the window fixed, and for sure a "custom tailgate" that isn't just a piece of diamond plate thats bolted to the body!  He must of got hosed and is trying to recover his loss from somebody else!  I had a buddy sell a fj40 with a lift, 35", 350 small block, custom killer exhaust that was "Oh my God Loud!!" full hardtop/soft tops with doors, and the only thing it needed was a paintjob!  All the metal was rust free, all new seals, and some things I'm forgetting.  He sold it for $7k! 
Make him an offer if you want it, and just let him know this is my offer!

Are you willing to wrench on one then get one that's not as nice but affordable!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen