Author Topic: Hydro Assist:box and pump mods  (Read 337583 times)

TopStreet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Jan '06
  • The EVIL Turtle is my Arch Enemy!
    • View Profile
    • JHRacing
Re: Hydro Assist:box and pump mods
« Reply #270 on: Sep 14, 2008, 08:00:45 AM »
Hey Guys!

Great thread. I have read through the first 3 pages, and it seems like everyone has been happy with the mod, if they can get the small bugs worked out.

I am posting because I am would like to know if anyone "has or could" take the highsteer arm off at the pitman arm, and try steering the truck with no mechanical linkage?

I am not an expert (by any means) when it comes to steering boxes and pumps and whatever. It just seems that there is enough force there to run a 2"x8" ram on its own for at least light duty work. Before it gets brought up, I am completely aware are the safety factor and have no intentions of driving the rig on the street. Thanks for any help I can get.

Jake H
'86 4Runner 2.5tons, Tractor Tires

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50846.new#new  MY 4RUNNER BUILD PAGE!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35445.0  MY OLD SAS '90 PICKUP

828 whp '92 Eagle Talon / 9.53 @ 150 mph

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #271 on: Sep 14, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
I can make the ram move the wheels, but I have to turn the steering wheel to a full stop and keap preasure on it.
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Sep 14, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
Hey Guys!

Great thread. I have read through the first 3 pages, and it seems like everyone has been happy with the mod, if they can get the small bugs worked out.

I am posting because I am would like to know if anyone "has or could" take the highsteer arm off at the pitman arm, and try steering the truck with no mechanical linkage?

I am not an expert (by any means) when it comes to steering boxes and pumps and whatever. It just seems that there is enough force there to run a 2"x8" ram on its own for at least light duty work. Before it gets brought up, I am completely aware are the safety factor and have no intentions of driving the rig on the street. Thanks for any help I can get.

Jake H

myabe im mistaken, but thats full hydro is it not?

this is what tractors use, i know its what our TUGs at work use, i somehow snapped a knuckle off the ram before.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TopStreet

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Jan '06
  • The EVIL Turtle is my Arch Enemy!
    • View Profile
    • JHRacing
« Reply #273 on: Sep 14, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
Cool!....

Thanks guys! Thats what I needed to hear. Yes, its full hydro. I just didnt know if the tapped stock gear box could act as a steering valve, without the mechanical linkage creating resistance.

I will post the pics and info on the build in the rig section in the next month.

You guys are great! Thanks again for the help!

Jake H
'86 4Runner 2.5tons, Tractor Tires

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50846.new#new  MY 4RUNNER BUILD PAGE!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35445.0  MY OLD SAS '90 PICKUP

828 whp '92 Eagle Talon / 9.53 @ 150 mph

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Sep 17, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
hey anyone know if a 2" bore ram is too large for the toy pump? I can get a smoking deal on a 2" bore 6" travel ram, most kit ive seen are 1.5 but it'll cost me almost double for that size.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

- Sales Employee -

freds40 [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Sep 18, 2008, 11:51:42 PM »
2" bore ram depending on the shaft diameter will probably be really slow with the Toy pump. A lot more volume to be moving in the ram.
"between projects"

brookspage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Feb '09
  • 85 runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »
hi i am trying to tap a 4 cylinder power steering box and wanted to know if the holes have to be in different location

Scott83

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
put mine in the same place

Scott83

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
think i trashed the steering box today. i was out playing and pull apart a hydro hose at the ram. for a trail fix to get off the trail i looped the in and out of the box togeather and pulled the ram off.  box got hot and the steering would lock up then release and work. i went and got a new hose and started playing again. the steering i thought had air in it so tried to bleed. started driving and working it but it would stick and not turn.did this for 30 min sticking ,grinding, hard to work , then nothing. steering wheel spins with little or no resitance.  question did i cause this because i hooked the two tapped holes togeather and drove on it?   still had fun and safe trip today,

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
sounds bad whatever it is..something is probably burned up (seals or pump or something)

I keep a couple (cap-off) plugs for the ports on the box in the toolbox in case something like that happens. I think they were less than a dollar a piece. I would advise the same!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Scott83

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Mar 01, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
my son and i were talking on the way home, and all ready decided to add plugs to the tool box.

Capt. Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:44:16 PM »
Hey guys, OK so I did all the mods(larger reservoir, drilled restrictor,cooler) and it came out great thanks to this thread. I just can't seem to get the pump to stop squealing. It's not to loud, just annoying at this point. I've tried to bleed the system several times with and without the tie-rod attached to the pitman arm.
 any suggestions?

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2009, 11:09:30 AM by Capt. crawler »

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:23 AM »
And heres Rick's pics from the same thread showing the work done to the 80 box.

Great info Rick. Thanks for letting me add this to my thread. I hope to be borrowing this info as I will be doing a 60 box in the coming months.  :thumbs:

Is there any reason the IFS box can't be tapped similarly to the 80 box, rather than tapping directly into the vein?  It looks like the basic design of the boxes are the same, only bigger and reverse rotation on the 80 box.  If you look at the first two pictures, and compare it to the pics in posts 19 & 17, the "end cap" area looks to be the same design, w/ a seal area (shiny part around the end of the inside of the cavity) and the vein going into the recess at the end where the 80 box is drilled.  LMK if that makes sense to anyone other than me.  Seems like you'd save alot of worry
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:29:49 AM by notyourmomslx450 »
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Jun 21, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »
I pulled the box and began to disassemble it following freds40's instructions from the Marlin board. I got to the step saying to remove the 10mm plug and the contents behind it. The plug was difficult to get moving but it came free and I don't feel like anything sheered.

The issue is, it wont come out... Pictures show how far it came till it stopped...

Was it hard to get this out for those who have done this? Am I fawked and need to look for a new box? Any help is appreciated:flipoff2:

Freds40's instructions---

If your box has the centering valve, use the 10mm allen wrench to remove it. There is a valve, spring, and almost a cylinder that need to be removed. If you don't have one, skip this.

Attachment:
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Jun 21, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
That 10mm plug is a pain in the butt. You can tap on the top of the plug gently with a hammer if it is starting to round out. This will tighten the fit with the allen wrench. You can also grind the end of you allen wrench flat so that it sits deeper in the plug. I would then recommend putting all your weight straight down on it while keeping the wrench straight as you turn.

Good luck.
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Jun 21, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
That 10mm plug is a pain in the butt. You can tap on the top of the plug gently with a hammer if it is starting to round out. This will tighten the fit with the allen wrench. You can also grind the end of you allen wrench flat so that it sits deeper in the plug. I would then recommend putting all your weight straight down on it while keeping the wrench straight as you turn.

Good luck.

Its completely loose, it just wont pull out

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »
I see what you mean. It may take two people. Gently pry on opposit sides with small screw drivers on the treads while some one turns the allen wrench. Pry enough without damaging the threads. If I remember the o ring gets hung up. Just takes some firm but gentle pressure. :thumbs:

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:42:02 PM »
I see what you mean. It may take two people. Gently pry on opposit sides with small screw drivers on the treads while some one turns the allen wrench. Pry enough without damaging the threads. If I remember the o ring gets hung up. Just takes some firm but gentle pressure. :thumbs:

sweet thanks for the help man, you are quick on the response

John S.

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: Jul 26, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »
PSC makes a pump kit for a Toyota 3.4 and I have read that the 3.0 PS pump can be reused during a 3.0 to 3.4 engine swap. Has anyone tried the PSC 3.4 pump on their 3.0 yet?

Techtafab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Aug 03, 2009, 06:21:39 AM »
 :yikes:
whats the best way to get all the balls back around the screw shaft  :help:
GEARED DOWN CRAWLERS

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #290 on: Aug 04, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »
ha ha ha.... enjoy

I put a few in there with a grease. then I start working the shaft in there. and as the last ball is at the edge of the box I put a new in. then turn a litle, new ball, turn more new ball...

just before you start, contact the dealership and make shure how many the balls should be, I think they are 52 but it has been a few years, so make sure before you start. I once lost 1 or something and I got an explodet view of the box, after a week or something, and that was scary
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
I put a few in there with a grease. then I start working the shaft in there. and as the last ball is at the edge of the box I put a new in.

:rofl:  that sounds alot worse than it is.  out of context award!
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

Techtafab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Aug 06, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »
thanks for all the help there guys
i got it done
and there are 44 balls ha ha
and no it did not go back together the 1,2,3,10,11,or 13th try
lets just say it was a DOG to put back together

side note DOT NOT PULL THAT OUT AGAIN  :shake:
GEARED DOWN CRAWLERS

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #293 on: Aug 06, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
 :crazy: excactly... the second time I dit that it was a lot easier...  but that time someone pulled it a part for me   :shake: someone should rip one apart just to post pictures of him putting it back together.  :gap:

foley

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
Thanks got my box tapped and everything was good for a couple trails. Then my ram assist tore off the mount on my axle because of my lackluster fab skills. I didnt notice the ram mount broke for two turns and then my steering box blew out on what i think is a release valve ( i believe there was a ball bearing in the whole ) in the picture circled in red. Has anybody seen this and is this something i can fix or should i just grab another box at the junk yard?

illinoisyotadriver

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Oct 24, 2009, 03:39:48 PM »
thanks fred40 for the great write up now i just got to get all the parts together to get it done should make turning with my 38's a whole lot easier

possum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
I used this thread to do this today. I just got the box saturday (2 days ago)My plan is to buy the high steer arms in the next 2-4 weeks (hopefully) depending on $$ I installed plugs in the holes cuz I wanted the box done before I install it, but it might be several months before I can get the ram, fittings and hoses. When I do get them I will that much more ready. The only problem I had was the threads tapping deep enough... But I think I got it. Great write up "VERY HELPFUL" Without this thread I would have never even tried to tear the box apart. Thank you very much!!!

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:32:08 PM »
Thanks got my box tapped and everything was good for a couple trails. Then my ram assist tore off the mount on my axle because of my lackluster fab skills. I didnt notice the ram mount broke for two turns and then my steering box blew out on what i think is a release valve ( i believe there was a ball bearing in the whole ) in the picture circled in red. Has anybody seen this and is this something i can fix or should i just grab another box at the junk yard?

You may call your local rebuilder and see what they say. I would just get another box.

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
I used this thread to do this today. I just got the box saturday (2 days ago)My plan is to buy the high steer arms in the next 2-4 weeks (hopefully) depending on $$ I installed plugs in the holes cuz I wanted the box done before I install it, but it might be several months before I can get the ram, fittings and hoses. When I do get them I will that much more ready. The only problem I had was the threads tapping deep enough... But I think I got it. Great write up "VERY HELPFUL" Without this thread I would have never even tried to tear the box apart. Thank you very much!!!

Most people have a tough time getting enough threads on the top port. You can buy a bottoming tap to get more threads in there. Most places like lowes and homo depot do not sell bottoming taps though. I just bought a second tap and took the grinder to it effectively making my own bottoming tap. I ran my regular tap first and than my home brew bottoming tap second.

possum

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:45:43 PM »
Most people have a tough time getting enough threads on the top port. You can buy a bottoming tap to get more threads in there. Most places like lowes and homo depot do not sell bottoming taps though. I just bought a second tap and took the grinder to it effectively making my own bottoming tap. I ran my regular tap first and than my home brew bottoming tap second.
After tapping both holes, I cut a quarter inch off of the tap, and ran it in again. It seemed to make the threads that were cut the first time, deeper. It wouldn't bottom out. I think I should have cut off less... But the plug went in 3 turns and I'm prity sure it won't leak... You think??  I tried to buy a bottoming tap but the hardware store that I went to didn't cary them.(Park Rose Hardware/Best in town)