Author Topic: Fuses  (Read 1416 times)

franky112665

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Fuses
« on: Dec 09, 2022, 12:31:53 PM »
Got a problem. I backed my 94 yota 22re xcab 4x4 in to my shop to check / fill rear wand oil. Now it will not turn over.
I have head lights, cab light and door buzzer. I don’t have any instrument/lights, radio, clutch bypass switch, check engine.
Is there a fuse that works all this. My battery has 12.7 volts with no load applied. All grounds are good and tight.
Battery connections are good. I see no blown fuses under the hood nor in the kick panel. I even tried jumping it off with my Cummins. Please help.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17566
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Fuses
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2022, 12:39:03 PM »
does the motor crank when you turn the key.
do you have spark.

RUGER :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

franky112665 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2022, 12:50:21 PM »
I put the key in and the door buzzer will come on. I turn the key and I have nothing after that. No clicks, no starter. I’m not getting power to anything when I turn my key.
I have power cause my headlights, door buzzer and some lights work. But nothing else.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2022, 01:22:58 PM »
Is there a fusible link like the first gens?
Time to go wheelin!

franky112665 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2022, 01:35:12 PM »
I did not see any links between battery to starter or to ECM. She is my daily driver and all I did was back her into my shop and add oil to the rearend and tightened the alternator belt because it was squealing.

a1gemmel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Amateur shitbox whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2022, 06:59:34 PM »
Stuff just breaks, sometimes at funny times... drove a car home 100 miles once, went to back into my driveway and the shifter broke off in my hand.

Your problem at the root is that you don't have 12 volts at the starter solenoid, and possibly the coil. Whether or not it's both gives a clue as to where the problem is.
Here's what I'd do:
I'd start by jumping a wire from the battery to the starter solenoid and see if it cranks. That rules out a completely dead solenoid.
Check for continuity in ground from the engine block to the battery.
Then check for 12 volts at the coil with the key in the ON position. If no power, odds are there's something wrong with your ignition cylinder or wiring to/from it (your constant powered parts like headlights and buzzer seem to work, so the problem is in the keyed power circuits).
If no power at the starter solenoid, trace back from there to the key, to the fuse box, to the battery until you find 12 volts. Somewhere the pixies are getting stuck.
Reading over your post again, it really does sound like the problem is your whole keyed-power circuit, so keep that in mind.

Best of luck, wiring issues suck but it just takes time and a methodical hand to work them out.
1981 Pickup - 37s, 5.29s, L52, dual cases 4.7 rear, e-locker front, grizzly rear, 22R stroker
1986 4Runner - 35s, 5.29s, auto, front Detroit, rear trutrac, 4" lift

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2022, 07:03:45 PM »
Check your alternator connections also. There are larger fuses in the engine compartment. There is an EFI relay in that box also, along with the 80 amp alternator fuse. There is also an ignition switch fuse in that same box on the passenger side fender.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2022, 02:41:19 PM »
There is a fuseable link between the battery and the fuse box on the passenger fender, though can't remember if I had headlights or not when it went on my '91.

Another part to inspect is the ignition switch on the steering column, when it fails, there is no power to anything powered by the key.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

franky112665 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2022, 08:36:47 AM »
Update:
She’s back to running now! I found the inline 80 amp fuse/link. I was looking for a traditional fuse. I started googling what you were talking about. Yes it was a blown. Thanks for all the info. Y’all are the best.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2022, 06:39:53 PM »
I got rid of the fusible link between the battery and the relay box in my truck.  The fusible links are a deceptive little bugger.  You just really can't tell if the link is bad or not, like a fuse.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:44:08 AM »
I don't recall ever having to mess with a fusible link in a vehicle.

If there is a fusible link in the circuit, since I don't know as much about the "why's" of the circuit design, I will defer the expertise to the auto manufacturer.

I've read that fusible links should be replaced once a year due to "creep" or "cold flow".  However, I don't see that I will be replacing fusible links in my vehicles every 12 months, so I will just wait for one to fail and then attempt to figure out why.

Replacing a fusible link with a standard fuse is tricky and does require some understanding of the specific circuit design and the wires to protect.

Interesting discussion.  :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein