Author Topic: MY 22RE Hybrid, 20r head, Factory EFI, No welding needed  (Read 14104 times)

RASALIBRE

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 198
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well I went and looked at it. It’s in an early celica endurance racing chump car. Built three years ago by a shop here in town. Has one race on it. So ~24hrs running time. He bought and fully built and megasquirt’d a Miata since, and wants to ls swap this thing. The guy waited to start it until I got there. Regardless of how long it had been since started last, it was dead cold. Oil looked good. No leaks. Had it filled with coolant rather than water (storage purposes). Lce stage 2 cam, dui ignition running 8* initial 32* total 6000 rpm limiter. Electric fuel pump (forget the specs). It started right up once I covered one of the 45’s with my hand. Couple of pops through the carb, then she ran smooth as ever once fully warm. Sounded amazing. I monitored oil pressure, water temp, and a/f via the cockpit. I was sold. This was the best way to sell an engine I’ve ever seen... offered the guy his asking price for the long block. He needed to talk to his wife. Three hours later, he text me that he wanted to hold out and sell it turn key complete, so we’re in negotiations still... First thing he said to me was I was the only person who hasn’t flaked on showing up, then he flaked... I just don’t have a carbureted vehicle or a vehicle I want to convert.
Believe me, after seeing and hearing the car run I was in love.

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
How much does he want for the entire engine and where is it? :dunno:

Gnarls.  :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Too bad you wouldn't go for 40mm side draft carbs, I have a set in my mess SoMeWhErE.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Too bad you wouldn't go for 40mm side draft carbs, I have a set in my mess SoMeWhErE.

I assume who ever built RASALIBRE's lookee-loo engine knew or guessimated how many cfm it was going to pump. :dunno:

Does it REALLY needs 2 44's? …. about 290 cfm each.  580 cfm?  An Offey C series is only good for about 500 cfm.  :dunno:

sirdeuce?.... any input on that?   :gap:

Always curious. :inthedark:

Gnarls. :gap:
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 02:45:57 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

RASALIBRE

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 198
  • Member since Jan '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
For lower rpm power/torque I like smaller carbs. The smaller carbs are easier to tune for driveability without choking them way down. If you are going to use your engine in a lower RPM a single downdraft would be better than a set of side draft carbs. Another downside to carbs that have a throat per cylinder is tuning for altitude, they tend to be more sensitive.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
For lower rpm power/torque I like smaller carbs. The smaller carbs are easier to tune for driveability without choking them way down. If you are going to use your engine in a lower RPM a single downdraft would be better than a set of side draft carbs. Another downside to carbs that have a throat per cylinder is tuning for altitude, they tend to be more sensitive.

They also have to be synchronized.... right?

Gnarls.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Yep, sync those carbs weekly. Sometimes monthly, but I checked every week. Pulled the plugs, synced the carbs at least once a week when the weather was changing. If I was going from Fresno to, say Tahoe, I'd have to change my jetting to keep from fouling the plugs. Carbs are great! just not very flexible.