Author Topic: 2000 4Runner clutch pedal issue  (Read 1184 times)

jsohawaii

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
2000 4Runner clutch pedal issue
« on: Sep 05, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
I have a 2000 4Runner 3.5L V6 with the TRD Supercharger, manual transmission and 4WD.  It is stock except that I changed the clutch and flywheel when the clutch began to slip at about 120,000 miles.  I put in a 13lb flywheel with a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch.  A short time after I changed the clutch and flywheel, I began to have a strange problem with my clutch pedal and no one I have asked can figure out what is happening so I thought I would post my question here.  Sometimes the pedal would pull down to the floor on it's own, without my ever touching it, and stay there firmly pressed against the floor.  It also feels as if the pressure is leaking when I step on it as it will slowly get lower and lower each time I step on it to shift and I would have to put my foot under it and pull it back up or it will end up on the floor.  I have seen the pedal pull down to the floor on it's own after I have parked it, shut off the engine and gotten out.  Sometimes when I am driving, I will reach to step on it and it is not there - It has gone to the floor.  Sometimes I will go out to drive it and I will find the pedal on the floor.  Whenever this happens, I have to (pull over if I am driving) get out and pull it back up because it is pressed fairly firmly against the floor.  I have resorted to tying a string around the pedal so that I can use the string to pull up the pedal if it has gone down while I am driving.  There does not seem to be any specific condition or action that causes this to happen, it seems very random.  I have felt the pedal pull down onto my foot with a bit of force while I am driving so it is not like the pedal is just kind of sinking, it is coming down with a bit of force as if something is pushing it down.  I have always been able to recover by pulling the pedal back up either with my foot or by hand if it is all the way down.  My mechanic friend thought it might be the old master and slave cylinders were worn so he replaced them.  While that seemed to work, it only lasted about 5000 miles before the problem was back again.  Other than that, it drives just fine.  Does any one have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to permanently fix it?  Having to change the master and slave cylinders every 5000 miles seems a bit excessive.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: 2000 4Runner clutch pedal issue
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
id go with a stock flywheel and a marlin HD clutch. make sure the master/slave are bled correctly. seems like a combination of some things. more or less it sounds like the system is creating vacuum and pulling the pedal autonomously.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13