Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Vibration at High RPMS - 2000 4runner  (Read 4766 times)

IVrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 23
  • Male Posts: 352
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Clutch Pedal Vibration at High RPMS - 2000 4runner
« on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »
Hello All!
I have a clutch pedal vibration when the RPM is 3500 and greater.  Much like this guy: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=1194.msg10952#msg10952 

Its a 2000 4runner V6 with an R150F trans.  it had 235K on it when i replaced the clutch and accessories....all Marlin.  Marlin 1200lb HD clutch kit with new Marlin pressure plate.  So, all new bearings...the works.  Everything was torqued to specs and installed per the FSM. 

It was not like this before I replaced the clutch so I know its something in my install.  I originally thought it was slight vibration due to everything being brand new that would go away.  Well, I'm 15K miles into it and there is no change...no worse, no better.

I have since taken out the faulty clutch pedal "helper" spring that Toyota designed and replaced it with the tried and true simple 70# lateral spring.  But, this had no effect and I didn't expect it to...just thought I'd share so you guys had all the info :)

It happens in every gear, at any speed and even when i am in neutral.  So this would mean it is directly related to the flywheel, yes?  Is an out of balance flywheel common? 

All in all it's not too bad, but it is pretty annoying for normal shifting....and I don't want it to cause any other issues
What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
~Josh
-87 4Runner SR5 - SAS, 4.88's, 33 KM2s, Lockright front, elocker rear, frenched hangers, TG in front, 63’s in rear (DD)
-2010 4runner Trail (wife DD)
-2000 4runner 4WD manual Highlander -SOLD:(
-1986 Toyota pickup SAS on 35s -SOLD
-1985 4runner (first car) -SOLD

IVrunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
anything?
~Josh
-87 4Runner SR5 - SAS, 4.88's, 33 KM2s, Lockright front, elocker rear, frenched hangers, TG in front, 63’s in rear (DD)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Does a V6 have a neutral flywheel or does it have to go back in the same position it was taken off?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Does a V6 have a neutral flywheel or does it have to go back in the same position it was taken off?
No, I just stuck mine back on after I had it surfaced!!

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

IVrunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Yeah - I saw no reference to that in the FSM and no signs that it needed to be installed in a certain orientation.

I also want to note that most times it is tuff to get into first and reverse.  Replaced the gear oil with Redline MT-90 and it seemed better but was obvious its not the problem.  Don't think it's the clutch master or slave cylinder is vw neither are leaking but may go that route eventually.  However, I mention this because I feel it may be related...when I'm in neutral at a light and I push the clutch in and go to put it in first I hear a slit "clunk" and even feel something down in the tranny.  It doesn't happen every time...like its dependent on witch gear I was in last...maybe???   

Hopefully that helps with a possible cause....

~Josh

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Is your clutch pedal adjusted per the FSM?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

IVrunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Yep
~Josh

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I've got the same vibration you're describing. Only really noticeable when I rev it pretty good before I shift. My tach isn't working so I cant tell you what RPM. I have a 3.4 out of a 2000 4Runner with R151F trans in my 88. Resurfaced OEM flywheel, OEM Aisin clutch and Koyo TO bearing.

If you have no vibration revving the engine, it's not an out of balance issue with anything rotating. It would vibrate regardless of stepping on the pedal.

The pedal only "feels" the connection of the fork and TO bearing and that would be transferred through fluid in the line. I was also thinking the clutch fingers may not all be perfectly aligned with each other causing a type of chatter when you step on the clutch causing that pulsating feeling into the pedal. 

The TO bearing touches those fingers and if even one was sticking up just a little it could cause it. Kind of like dragging a stick across a chain link fence. Maybe the edges of the fingers have a rolled up edge from being stamped out or sheered when manufactured. But................you tried another clutch. Maybe a not so good TO bearing?

I have put plenty of miles on mine with no problems. Shifts great, no constant vibes driving it, no metal being generated in trans so I'm not pulling it. Too much work for a slight pedal buzz at high revs. I don't really notice it unless I really tach it up between shifts.

If you can't stand it and pull it apart again, post up what you found.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Sorry, I just realized it was the other post that put in another pressure plate.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

IVrunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Yeah I never swapped anything out.  Once I put it in I haven't dropped it to check anything.  I don't plan on it unless something goes wrong or I know exactly what the problem is.  Thanks for the input - you're thought process makes a lot of sense.  I will wait it out and hopefully get some more input from others. 
~Josh

IVrunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Thought I would give an update that after 30k miles on the clutch there is absolutely no change.  Still buzzes at high rpm whether in gear, out of gear and at any speed.

I pretty much have it pinned on the marlin flywheel.  My reason being this.  When I replaced my clutch in my 2000 4runner I also replaced my clutch in my 87 4runner.  I first only replaced the clutch and pressure plate with marlin 1200, but after putting it together I found that the noise I was hearing was not the release bearing but actually the input shaft nearing...so out it came again.  Since I was doing rework I thought I might as well swap in a new flywheel.  Got it all back together and what do you know....same vibrating at high rpm....which it did not do before I swapped the flywheel, but with the new clutch.

Are they just not balanced or what?!?
~Josh