Author Topic: Toyodaaddict's 1980 "The Blue Truck"  (Read 47445 times)

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 266
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
Re: Toyodaaddict's 1980 "The Blue Truck"
« Reply #180 on: Apr 07, 2022, 02:16:45 PM »
My truck no longer nose dives when applying the brakes.
I did remove all of the ABS garbage when I did the Diamonds front & rear.
With the Tundra 231mm front disc upgrade, it stops on a dime.

Here is the block...
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17323
  • Male Posts: 1,020
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #181 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:24:03 PM »
looks super clean ritchie :beerchug:

RUGER :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,144
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Apr 08, 2022, 02:13:20 PM »
After installing the washers and adjusting the brakes, I just took it for a test drive. When I got back the passenger side drum was cold and the driver side was warm enough that it was uncomfortable to hold my finger on it too long. I jacked it up and the tires spin free  :dunno:
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #183 on: Apr 09, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »
After installing the washers and adjusting the brakes, I just took it for a test drive. When I got back the passenger side drum was cold and the driver side was warm enough that it was uncomfortable to hold my finger on it too long. I jacked it up and the tires spin free  :dunno:

Asking the obvious, have you checked the wheel cylinders?
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Apr 09, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »

I haven't paid them much attention. I changed them when I did the shoes not that many miles ago. I had someone press The brake pedal and I did see that the pistons on the rear of the cylinders are working. The front pistons didn't do much. I assume they work when the drums are on. They do appear to be retracting as they should.

I have now loosened the driver side adjuster a couple turns. Waiting on weather to test drive.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

osv

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Apr 10, 2022, 06:31:36 PM »

not relevant to your situation, but i've seen that overheated disc/drum problem when the brake hose was rotten on the inside; it'll look fine on the outside but it's swollen up on the inside, and with that small passageway it's too tight to easily release pressure, so the brake is still on after you let off of the pedal.

if there is a problem with the slave cylinder in that it takes awhile to release pressure, the drum could get hot but is still spinning free by the time you jack the truck up, but it sounds like you've already checked that.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2022, 06:37:31 PM by osv »

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #186 on: Apr 11, 2022, 12:49:39 PM »
not relevant to your situation, but i've seen that overheated disc/drum problem when the brake hose was rotten on the inside; it'll look fine on the outside but it's swollen up on the inside, and with that small passageway it's too tight to easily release pressure, so the brake is still on after you let off of the pedal.

if there is a problem with the slave cylinder in that it takes awhile to release pressure, the drum could get hot but is still spinning free by the time you jack the truck up, but it sounds like you've already checked that.

I've seen master cylinder seals turned inside out do the same thing. Caliper free and easy with pipe disconnected but won't retract with pipe connected

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Apr 14, 2022, 04:51:24 PM »
I messed around with the brakes again today. I backed the adjuster off a couple more turns. Removed the tire and the brake was loose enough I removed the drum without any trouble.  I tapped on the shoes a bit with a mallet, to see If I could get any movement out of the wheel cylinder. Put the drum/tire back on and went for a drive.

Driver side still gets hot.  Passenger side is cold.  I don't know how it's getting hot with the brake loose enough that the drum slides on an off easily. The wheels spin ok, before and after the drive. I didn't even touch the Ebrake.  :smack:

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #188 on: Apr 15, 2022, 11:28:23 AM »
I messed around with the brakes again today. I backed the adjuster off a couple more turns. Removed the tire and the brake was loose enough I removed the drum without any trouble.  I tapped on the shoes a bit with a mallet, to see If I could get any movement out of the wheel cylinder. Put the drum/tire back on and went for a drive.

Driver side still gets hot.  Passenger side is cold.  I don't know how it's getting hot with the brake loose enough that the drum slides on an off easily. The wheels spin ok, before and after the drive. I didn't even touch the Ebrake.  :smack:

Jack it up and put it on stands, chock the front wheels. Have someone drive it like they were driving round town. Not above 50.  You will be able to see how quick the brake releases in a way you can't with it static. Do you have an fj80 master cylinder?

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: Apr 15, 2022, 12:38:43 PM »
Jack it up and put it on stands, chock the front wheels. Have someone drive it like they were driving round town. Not above 50.  You will be able to see how quick the brake releases in a way you can't with it static. Do you have an fj80 master cylinder?

Sounds like a good idea.

Brakes are all stock, other than using an 87 rear axle. MC and wheel cylinders where replaced a few years ago. I'm thinking I need to give the wheel cylinder another look.

I keep thinking I've got something wrong in the adjustment but with the drum able to slide on and off, I dont know how they could be adjusted too tight.

The spool makes it a bit harder to gett a feel for what's going on.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #190 on: Apr 15, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

Brakes are all stock, other than using an 87 rear axle. MC and wheel cylinders where replaced a few years ago. I'm thinking I need to give the wheel cylinder another look.

I keep thinking I've got something wrong in the adjustment but with the drum able to slide on and off, I dont know how they could be adjusted too tight.

The spool makes it a bit harder to gett a feel for what's going on.

The spool might help actually, act more like its on the road maybe.
They should be adjusted till you can just hear or feel the very slightest drag so assuming there's no lip in the drum then they should slide on and off with a wiggle.
The bell cranks that go through the back plate are free?

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Apr 15, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »
The spool might help actually, act more like its on the road maybe.
They should be adjusted till you can just hear or feel the very slightest drag so assuming there's no lip in the drum then they should slide on and off with a wiggle.
The bell cranks that go through the back plate are free?
Yes, bell cranks move freely.

To adjusted the brakes, I used the adjuster wheel to tighten up the brake until the tire was almost locked up. Then I backed it off until the tire spun nice and free and only a slight brake drag was heard. I have since used the adjuster to loosen the brakes on the driver side a few more turns, each time I have taken it for a test drive.  One thing I'll add is that I can still hear some drag, even though I continue to loosen the brake. Am I right to assume that because I can remove the drum easily, that there is no way the brake is over adjusted?

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #192 on: Apr 16, 2022, 01:40:44 AM »
Yes, bell cranks move freely.

To adjusted the brakes, I used the adjuster wheel to tighten up the brake until the tire was almost locked up. Then I backed it off until the tire spun nice and free and only a slight brake drag was heard. I have since used the adjuster to loosen the brakes on the driver side a few more turns, each time I have taken it for a test drive.  One thing I'll add is that I can still hear some drag, even though I continue to loosen the brake. Am I right to assume that because I can remove the drum easily, that there is no way the brake is over adjusted?
An over adjusted brake would mean resistance past a slight drag. Ergo you would not be able to turn the wheel freely let alone remove the drum.
Another test you could do is with park brake, again vehicle on stands apply the brake whilst the wheels are spinning slowly release the brake observe temporary drag. This should then demonstrate whether its mechanical or hydraulic.
Other things to consider. Wheel bearing or bent axle shaft  one causing the other. To heat up.
If you do the driving test mentioned previously consider removing the wheels when testing, that will allow the drums to react easier, the wheels can act as a dampener and disguise other faults

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,251
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #193 on: Apr 16, 2022, 05:28:51 AM »
Perhaps I missed it, but have you bled the system really good?

If there is enough air in a line it can heat up and put pressure on that wheel cylinder.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #194 on: Apr 16, 2022, 01:37:11 PM »
Perhaps I missed it, but have you bled the system really good?

If there is enough air in a line it can heat up and put pressure on that wheel cylinder.

Gnarls. :usa:

If there is that much air in the system the brakes wouldn't stop the truck, the fluid would have to be at near boiling point for it to have any effect on the system.

So I don't think it's that.

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Jul 21, 2022, 02:37:30 PM »

Update on the brake situation: It was a wheel cylinder. :gap:

On both wheel cylinders the pistons toward the front of the truck where seized. I guess I didn't realize this because both sides where acting the same but only one side was getting hot. That and I suck at troubleshooting  :smack:.
I guess the one brake shoe was stuck dragging just enough to cause the heat but not enough to cause any real drag on the wheel.

I did leave the washers on that Liveoak suggested. I'll keep an eye on things to make sure the brakes continue to self adjust correctly.

Aisin/Advics wheel cylinders
7/8" 4cyl  WCT-007
15/16" V6  WCT-027
1" FJ60  WCT-011

I went with the 7/8" cylinders for now. I need to upgrade my booster and then the rest of the system.