Author Topic: The wait is over! Now need to install.  (Read 26389 times)

Hickory Nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 359
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The wait is over! Now need to install.
« Reply #120 on: Apr 02, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »
I rechecked fluids and read back through the start up procedures this morning. I pulled the EFI fuse and coil wire cranked on it for a while. After getting a spare battery and jumper cables. I reinstalled the coil wire/efi fuse turned her over and she fired right up and is purring like a kitten. I need to check the timing but she sounds great! Way better than the old one.

You guys have no idea how appreciative I am to be able to ask stupid questions and not get a bunch of lashings for it. I would not have tackled this project without the everyone's encouragement and help along the way! Man I am grateful.

Thanks again to all who have helped me along the way!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,239
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #121 on: Apr 03, 2017, 03:56:11 AM »
I rechecked fluids and read back through the start up procedures this morning. I pulled the EFI fuse and coil wire cranked on it for a while. After getting a spare battery and jumper cables. I reinstalled the coil wire/efi fuse turned her over and she fired right up and is purring like a kitten. I need to check the timing but she sounds great! Way better than the old one.

You guys have no idea how appreciative I am to be able to ask stupid questions and not get a bunch of lashings for it. I would not have tackled this project without the everyone's encouragement and help along the way! Man I am grateful.

Thanks again to all who have helped me along the way!

Hey Hickory Nut,

Great job!  :thumbs:  Congratulations on getting her fired up and running.  :beerchug:

Sounds like 22RE Performance provided a break-in guide.

How many miles on break-in oil did 22RE Performance suggest?  :inthedark:

Gnarls. :D
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Apr 03, 2017, 05:03:40 AM »
They said to use Joe Gibbs break in oil for the first 400 miles then conventional 10W30 after that. Their break in guide is on their website under the FAQ section. There is some good info there.

I wasn't able to drive the truck yesterday because of the clutch. It felt mushy so I did some interweb research and found the pedal adjustment bolt on the Master Cylinder was loose. I will add some lock tight today and take her for a spin this afternoon.

Cavu2usf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #123 on: Apr 03, 2017, 06:00:25 AM »
Great goin!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

We knew you could do it.

Enjoy and Happy Motoring!

Steve

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Apr 03, 2017, 07:14:18 AM »
You did do the 20 minutes at 2000 RPM? 

There is nothing like that feeling of when its running and everything is right, that you feel really good about yourself!!  :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
Yes sir, I varied the RPM's from 1300- 1800 for 20 minutes and it was running like a top.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Apr 03, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
You did do the 20 minutes at 2000 RPM? 

There is nothing like that feeling of when its running and everything is right, that you feel really good about yourself!!  :thumbs:

True, the only problem is the first time you do something like this, is that little voice in your head that wonders what you did wrong until a few months pass, and your concerns are put to rest :laugh:
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Apr 04, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
The motor idles perfect and runs like a top but when I took it out for the road test yesterday it sounded like a VW bug. There is a good bit of hesitation under load. It revs fine and sounds good when it's not in gear.

I took the old (1) wire o2 sensor out to see what it looked like, it was black so I installed the (4) wire Universal version that came with my LC Header. It didn't seem to help. I may check the Cat to make sure it's not clogged but it seems that would show a problem at idle as well.

I checked the plugs/ plug wires and the front 2 were clean. The back 2 has just a tad bit of black soot on them but not on the ceramic part.

I rechecked the Timing and it is dead on.

If you have any ideas of what this might be please let me know.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #128 on: Apr 05, 2017, 03:25:37 AM »
There is a good bit of hesitation under load....

Are you running fresh gasoline?

What are your weather conditions?

What is your elevation?

Did you install new spark plugs, new cap and rotor, new spark plug wires, new fuel filter?

Have you checked your valve lash?

It would be interesting to see what the compression is?

How many miles on the break-in now?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Apr 05, 2017, 04:27:02 AM »
I have not put fresh gas in it yet
Sunny 75-80 degrees
290' above sea level
New Plugs, Wires, cap, rotor installed and fuel filter installed
I have not checked valve lash as this was assembled by 22RE performance
I have not checked compression
Probably 3-5 miles max

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Apr 16, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »
I have been putting some miles on the new engine and it is running good. Here are some finished pictures.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this thing swapped out.

Toybrota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 764
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #131 on: Apr 16, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »
Wow, I love the color on the intake and valve cover. It might have already been mentioned, but what paint is that? Or is it Powder Coated?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Apr 16, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »
It is powder coated Silver Vein (that's what 22RE performance called it).

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Apr 17, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
I have been putting some miles on the new engine and it is running good. Here are some finished pictures.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this thing swapped out.

Hey hickory nut what was the issue with your hesitation under load?  My 22R is having a similar issue right now... Leaning towards gas quality...

82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Apr 18, 2017, 05:23:12 AM »
I am not really sure. I found a large exhaust leak at one of the connection points on my muffler and now have an issue with my auto locking hubs. Best I can figure there wasn't enough back pressure or something. When I took it out on the road it seemed to be better than last time I took it out. I think the motor just needs to be opened up and run on the road more but I'm afraid to run it too much until I get the Axle and Hubs fixed. When I go down the road it sounds like a card in a Bike tire and then a thud when I come to a stop.

I ordered a front axle rebuild kit from Marlin, conversion kit from Auto to Manual hubs, and New Aisin Hubs. Those parts should be in next week so I have another project before I can really get it out on the road.

I did put new non ethanol gas in it too and I think that helped.

I will keep everyone posted.

Cavu2usf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #135 on: Apr 18, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
GREAT JOB!

Congratulations.
Steve

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Apr 20, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
Its a good feeling that you can stand back and say, "I did that!"   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #137 on: Apr 29, 2017, 03:49:07 AM »
Hey Hickory Nut .... how's the project progressing??

Gnarls.

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
Hey guys, sorry I have not given any updates. I have been busy tearing down my front axle. Man this thing has a lot of parts and pieces. I have not put any miles on the engine since my last post. I hope to have everything put back together in the coming weeks. I am only doing one side at a time and taking my time. Today I was able to get the Drivers side Knuckle and Rotor assembly sand blasted. What a difference that made. It would have taken me weeks to get those parts that clean.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2017, 06:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the update.

No rush.... 'Haste makes waste".... It may be 12 months since I started my rebuild before I get this engine running like it should!  :beerchug:

Gnarls. :spin:

Hickory Nut [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »
I've been trying to keep up with your build and would have already given up because of my lack of mechanical ability. At least you know what you are doing. I am just a hack trying to get my rig reliable and back on the road/off road. I figure my Toy will be much better and less expensive than the best side by side for hunting/fishing and have heat and air.

Keep plugging away at it and I know you will have it done in no time.

HN

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2017, 03:30:49 AM »
I've been trying to keep up with your build and would have already given up because of my lack of mechanical ability. At least you know what you are doing. I am just a hack trying to get my rig reliable and back on the road/off road. I figure my Toy will be much better and less expensive than the best side by side for hunting/fishing and have heat and air.

Keep plugging away at it and I know you will have it done in no time.

HN

Hey Hickory Nut,

Thanks for the support.  :beerchug:

You gotta be more than a "hack" to rebuild a 22RE!  "... I know what I'm doing.."... that would be a stretch.  :gap:

I have some experience and some mechanical skills, but for me this engine has been more challenging and is more complicated than rebuilding a 60's Chevy small block, a juiced up 455 Olds, or a 1960's VW flat 4.  :yesnod:

I'm slower than average, but "learning" as I go.  I realize now what I would do differently if I were to rebuild another 22.  I believe that you can read, study, research, get great input for the "experts", etc... but until you actually put your hands on it... it is only "air-building"... like bench-racing.  :biggthumpup:

Gnarls. :spin: