Author Topic: need help fast... Pittbull Rockers  (Read 39865 times)

dbbowen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 265
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawlin / St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    • View Profile
need help fast... Pittbull Rockers
« on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:27:25 AM »
Ok so pitbull tires are 50% off until midnight... I was looking at getting rocker radials. Sqwadoosh has em, told me not to get em.... too heavy... I have a 22re and will be running 5.29 gears in the diffs. What do yall think? $880 for 5 tires

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
Re: need help fast... Pittbull Rockers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
i have seen the 37" rockers work well on fordyce and also in mud and snow in AK.

I have not personally used them but have friends that like them. those were both bias though.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
Sq drives a 3rz powered 4runner. If you plan on doing any long road trips you'll wish you listened.

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
Sq drives a 3rz powered 4runner. If you plan on doing any long road trips you'll wish you listened.

Oh im listening. Plus its a daily driver. Im just sad at the sight of losing out on a $880 deal.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
Could always get them for the trails and another set for daily driving.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
May as well try them. if they are too heavy you can always sell them for more than you paid for them.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
They are a great tire but as I told you if I had it to do over I would have gone with MTR/k again. Obviously you would be getting a great deal but at the end of the day a great deal on something that isn't going to work well for you is not a great deal after all. If I have as much trouble with acceleration with a 3RZ and 5.29s you will be an absolute dog with them. They also like to blow stuff up  :eyebrow:

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2016, 01:01:51 PM »
those pics look like a advertisement for a full float kit..... :clap:

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
those pics look like a advertisement for a full float kit..... :clap:

They are

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
yeah... as soon as I talked to Sqwadoosh the first time i knew... I wanted to hear from others. Looks like im back at square one..... KM2 vs MTR Kevlar vs Cooper STT. Back to the drawing board.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
Ive broke a rear axle on 33"s that were way lighter than a 37" pitbull rocker so don't believe just because you get 37" rockers you are automatically going to break a shaft.

Regardless of what brand of tire you are going to get.  Having 35"s or bigger on a toyota is not going to be a racecar.  $880 for 5 tires is such a great deal i would get them.  Hell I have been contemplating all day anout buying a set of 37"s rockers or 39" maddogs just because it is such a good deal.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »
If you want them, now is the time to order.  Apparently the sale ends really soon!!!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
yeah... as soon as I talked to Sqwadoosh the first time i knew... I wanted to hear from others. Looks like im back at square one..... KM2 vs MTR Kevlar vs Cooper STT. Back to the drawing board.

I've seen all those tires perform. Kevlar wins hands down.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »
What about the TRxus?
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »
What about the TRxus?

Heard good things from 1985Crawler about them. That is my only dealing with them. Never seen anyone running them in person.  :dunno:

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2016, 04:09:28 PM »
They are a great tire but as I told you if I had it to do over I would have gone with MTR/k again. Obviously you would be getting a great deal but at the end of the day a great deal on something that isn't going to work well for you is not a great deal after all. If I have as much trouble with acceleration with a 3RZ and 5.29s you will be an absolute dog with them. They also like to blow stuff up  :eyebrow:

Do you think the MTRs are better than the KM2s?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
I've seen all those tires perform. Kevlar wins hands down.

But you were so sure that the Cooper STT PRO was the ultimate tire short of the Pit Bull Rocker?  I have to assume that you're observation of my experience with the Cooper's is your primary data point for putting the MTR Kevlar back at the top?

I have not wheeled enough with the Cooper STT PRO tires enough to really make a fair comparison against the BFG KMs that I ran for years, but I think the Coopers are at least equal in most conditions and I expect them to perform better in mud.  It's really hard to compare tires without putting them on the same vehicle under the same conditions.  I can say that I've never had the MTR catch my eye, but I think CrankyCrawler preferred them to his BFGs, but I think his current favorite is his Cooper STTs that he had in Moab.  So many choices and so many variables.  All I can say with certainty is that I don't think my BFGs or Coopers have been the sole reason that I wasn't able to go somewhere or make a particular obstacle (that reminds me...) that would have been possible with another similar type tire.  I know that having a dedicated mud tire can make all the difference in the world but unfortunately the dedicated mud tires are pretty much anti-street friendly.

If I was to buy tires again I would still go with my Cooper STT PROs for the same reasons that I got them originally.  The BFG KM2 would likely be my second choice simply based on my satisfaction with my previous set of BFG.  I'd love a chance to wheel with a set of the MTRs but probably put any money that direction.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
Does the fact that bfg gives back to the wheeling community sway any opinions?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »
Does the fact that bfg gives back to the wheeling community sway any opinions?

Cooper is made in the USA so that's also a solid reason to go with them.  I would assume that BFGs and Goodyears may come from somewhere else but really don't know.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2016, 07:42:49 PM »
I ended up missing out on the time frame, they evidently got a ton of orders so they moved the deadline from midnight to 5pm central time. :/ oh well. I was leaning more toward the MTR solely for the true sizing, Then Black diamond threw a wrench in it with the cooper STT. I had the original BFG mud terrain and they wore crazy fast on my 88 pickup, thats why its the lowest on the list now. I swear the tires have been the toughest choice in my build so far

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
BFG have a terrible reputation when it comes to sidewall as well.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:49:59 PM »
At the same time the mtr's seem to have horrible issues with sidewalls as well.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2016, 04:25:22 AM »
At the same time the mtr's seem to have horrible issues with sidewalls as well.

Old school version did. Not kevlar. Took mine through a lot of sharp rock with zero issues. So have multiple people I wheel with that run them as well.

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
Old school version did. Not kevlar. Took mine through a lot of sharp rock with zero issues. So have multiple people I wheel with that run them as well.

I never saw many issues with the old MTR I hammered mine. lots of issues with the kevlar in the 40 inch flavor. My friend has gone through like 5
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »
Interco SX  :thumbs: Unless it's a DD.
Time to go wheelin!

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
I never saw many issues with the old MTR I hammered mine. lots of issues with the kevlar in the 40 inch flavor. My friend has gone through like 5

When i bought my kevlar mtrs the guy had one with a 3" long gash through the shoulder of a tire.  I did not think the tire looked very thick there.  I had that tire until a couple weeks ago, or else i would take a picture to show you.  I know others who have put holes in quite a few tires and i have seen posts on the froums.  They just strike me as a weak sidewall/shoulder tire, and I think about that everytime I drive on mine now.  :dunno:

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2016, 08:15:10 AM »
Interco SX  :thumbs: Unless it's a DD.

I like your style.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2016, 07:12:56 PM »
BFG have a terrible reputation when it comes to sidewall as well.

That is a rumor that predates most of the members births on the board,:laugh: and has long been used as a marketing ploy to sway buyers to buy other brands.  After nearly 30yrs of wheeling, I have seen all brands fail on the trail, and in virtually every instance the failure was caused by driver error or age of the tire.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »
That is a rumor that predates most of the members births on the board,:laugh: and has long been used as a marketing ploy to sway buyers to buy other brands.  After nearly 30yrs of wheeling, I have seen all brands fail on the trail, and in virtually every instance the failure was caused by driver error or age of the tire.

I have personally seen great performance out of BFGs, but do know that CrankyCrawler destroyed several BFG sidewalls on his K5 and didn't seem to have any issues with the pre-kevlar Goodyear.  I don't think he's ever had a tire issue outside of a couple of BFG sidewalls.  He has run Goodyear and now Cooper.  He was proud to have Discount do a free replacement for one BFG that he could put his fist through the sidewall on!  My dad ran several sets of BFG KMs on his K5 and never had an issue and I ran my KMs for 9 years.

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2016, 08:25:43 PM »

Ask Oops how many bfg he has gone through
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11