Author Topic: need help fast... Pittbull Rockers  (Read 39912 times)

dbbowen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 265
  • Male Posts: 192
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawlin / St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital
    • View Profile
Re: need help fast... Pittbull Rockers
« Reply #90 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
The fact that I'm seriously considering putting a set of BFG KO2's on my 2004 Sequoia tell you something about how much I expect from the street performance of these tires.  I would never choose to run an AT on a wheeling rig unless the plan was nearly 100% slickrock in Moab.  The advantages of an MT in mud are far more important than the benefits of an AT on the street.  You're doing a full Toyota build with lockers, dual ultimate gearing, etc., so choose a tire that's a match for the potential of the rest of your truck.

You really can't make a bad decision between the BFG KM2, Cooper STT Pro, Goodyear MTR, Nitto Terra Grappler (yes I added another option to screw with you), Pro Comp, etc. 

I have never been a fan of the MTR, but know they are an excellent choice.  My choice was between the BFG KM2 and the Cooper STT PRO.

BFG KM2 - The two factors that kept me from getting the BFGs were the look and the fact that the tread pattern is just a variation of the Krawler that was developed for hardcore rock crawling.  It doesn't make sense to me that the Krawler is a great place to start the design for a tire that is well suited for the street or even mud.  To me the design is all about having a street tire that looks like the Krawler which means "bling" was high on the list.

Cooper STT PRO - I ended up choosing this tire because CrankyCrawler has been very satisfied with his Cooper STTs and since our driving styles are very similar and our rigs are built very similarly it seems that I would be happy with a Cooper tire.  The STT PRO is a complete redesign that has a nice looking pattern and if it outperforms the original STT it should do great.

Nitto Terra Grappler - This is a very popular tire in my area, right behind the Toyo Open Country MT.  My biggest beef with Nitto is the "bling" of having two different sidewalls.  It's makes me think that they have placed looks too high on the list of features.  I'm sure it's a non-issue.  These tires also just look like they would ride rough even though they get solid reviews.

If you're really  interested in an AT, the only one that I would consider is the Toyo Open Country AT Extreme.  This has the AT tread pattern with significantly more tread depth.  It only comes in limited sizes, but the few that I have seen in person looked sweet.

Thanks for the super detailed reply. You really have me looking at the coopers. My first choice is the km2 because they are a budget krawler lol. It's like the great value brand at Walmart. The sidewall on the stt are kinda blingy too. I don't like the sidewall tread on the mtr but I keep hearing people have rave reviews on them.

As for the pro comps. I had a pair on my bro-dozier chevy avalanche when I was a little younger. Don't judge me. They were sooo loud. I ended up getting the toyo MT and they did really well. They are kind of expensive, I've just read that the sidewall is real stuff on them and airing them down was a problem. I really liked them on the super heavy avalanche, but I'm kind of uncertain on the lighter weight 4runner

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Nov 21, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »
Thanks for the super detailed reply. You really have me looking at the coopers. My first choice is the km2 because they are a budget krawler lol. It's like the great value brand at Walmart. The sidewall on the stt are kinda blingy too. I don't like the sidewall tread on the mtr but I keep hearing people have rave reviews on them.

As for the pro comps. I had a pair on my bro-dozier chevy avalanche when I was a little younger. Don't judge me. They were sooo loud. I ended up getting the toyo MT and they did really well. They are kind of expensive, I've just read that the sidewall is real stuff on them and airing them down was a problem. I really liked them on the super heavy avalanche, but I'm kind of uncertain on the lighter weight 4runner

Then just get the BFG KM2s and be happy.

The other reason that I chose the Cooper over the BFG was the tread width. The Coopers are quite a bit wider which means more tread on the ground and they look bigger.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:40:55 AM »
Then just get the BFG KM2s and be happy.

The other reason that I chose the Cooper over the BFG was the tread width. The Coopers are quite a bit wider which means more tread on the ground and they look bigger.

Is it a safe assumption that the stt pro would be a somewhat in between of a KM2 type tire and an at? I mean you know what happens when yo assume...

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #93 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:03:52 AM »
Is it a safe assumption that the stt pro would be a somewhat in between of a KM2 type tire and an at? I mean you know what happens when yo assume...

The stt pro is pretty aggressive. Maybe even more aggressive than the bfg
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
The stt pro is pretty aggressive. Maybe even more aggressive than the bfg

Okay well Ive narrowed it down between the STT Pro and the KM2 now. Maybe ill Flip a coin

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #95 on: Nov 22, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
Okay well Ive narrowed it down between the STT Pro and the KM2 now. Maybe ill Flip a coin

Pretty much where I am lol
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »
Pretty much where I am lol

At least ive narrowed it down between the two, I guess Ill see what the price difference is. Hopefully one is cheaper than the other... lol at least ive decided to go 35s and not 37s too

Just curious, is the jku much heavier than say a firstgen 4runner?

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #97 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
At least ive narrowed it down between the two, I guess Ill see what the price difference is. Hopefully one is cheaper than the other... lol at least ive decided to go 35s and not 37s too

Only by a couple thousand pounds

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #98 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:37:08 PM »

Jk is like 4000 stock. I am doin 37s though.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #99 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »

If you go through a place like Discount Tire they can bring both sets in and let you see them side by side.  I managed to catch my local store when they had a set of each in 33x12.50 so I was able to look at them side by side before ordering my 35x12.50s.

I honestly expect the STT PRO to perform better on the street and be at least an equal off road though without running the BFG KM2 I'll never know for sure.

The BFG KM2 is a lighter tire (about 6 lbs I think) and has a significantly narrower tread pattern which means less rolling resistance.  I felt the extra weight from my KMs, but it wasn't enough that I really feel like anythings missing now.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the BFG KM2 is a pretty standard tread pattern with two alternating lug patterns.  The STT PRO, like the Pit Bull Rockers, is four alternating lug patterns which definitely makes them look agressive.

It's decided.  You're getting the STT PROs and you'll be happy about it.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:45:33 PM »
I really think the Cooper STT PRO is more aggressive in person that it looks in most pictures.  Here's a couple that do a pretty good job of showing how they really look.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #102 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
Are those side lug treads factory? Looks like a great way to get mud stuck...

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Nov 23, 2016, 05:30:50 AM »
Are those side lug treads factory? Looks like a great way to get mud stuck...

Yes. They are actually designed to help clear the lugs of mud. I can't say if it works or not.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tech-qa/1510-testing-coopers-new-discoverer-stt-pro/

"Mud Release Dimples (small dimples along the shoulder tread block walls create mini air pockets that help prevent mud from sticking between the tread blocks, thus aiding self-cleaning), as well as Scallops and Mud Scoops (asymmetrical scallops on alternating lugs direct mud into the mud scoops to enhance traction)."

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Nov 23, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »
Haha Those STTs are pretty BA. I think Ill go with those... I think what it will come down to is if one is considerably cheaper Ill go with that one. There is a tire shop that gives a TLCA discount somewhat near me that I was planning on using. Maybe they can give me the hook up! :eyebrow:

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
Anyone ever had the Maxxis Trepador radials?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
Haha Those STTs are pretty BA. I think Ill go with those... I think what it will come down to is if one is considerably cheaper Ill go with that one. There is a tire shop that gives a TLCA discount somewhat near me that I was planning on using. Maybe they can give me the hook up! :eyebrow:

I think I paid about $80 more for the Coopers than I would have for the BFGs.  Negligible over the long-haul.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Nov 23, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
How many miles a month do you expect to put on with it being an 80/20 rig for the next 2yrs?  If less than 1k MT's would be fine, if closer to 2, might want to reconsider running AT's if the 33's you have now perform well enough for you on the trail, or consider running two sets.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #108 on: Nov 23, 2016, 04:46:56 PM »
Still not sure why you don't want to grab a set of rollers..

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Nov 23, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »
Not everybody can find decent rollers.  I've worked at a tire shop for over 7 years and have yet to find a set in 35x12.50-15
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #110 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:08:10 PM »
Not everybody can find decent rollers.  I've worked at a tire shop for over 7 years and have yet to find a set in 35x12.50-15
Why do they have to be that exact size?

Why not 315x75s?

I'm sure you can find a set of steelies in the 16 or 17" flavor which is a more popular size wheel for that large of a road tire..

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #111 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »
I run 33x12.5 km2s but my dailies are only 235x75s

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »
I've got over 15k on my KM2's and they still haven't worn much. Daily Driven as well, with a lot more pavement now that I've moved. As for maxxis...after having a set of maxxis bighorns I will never go back to that tire brand.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
Why do they have to be that exact size?

Why not 315x75s?

I'm sure you can find a set of steelies in the 16 or 17" flavor which is a more popular size wheel for that large of a road tire..

For anyone running BFG KM2s, Cooper STT PROs, Goodyear MTRs, Toyo Open Country M/Ts, Nitto Terra Grapplers, and other similar tires there really shouldn't be a need to have a 2nd set of street tires.  I think that all of these tires should wear well enough to perform adequately on the street on an off road rig.  If you're willing to go to the effort of having both off road and street tires then it makes a lot more sense to go with a true off road tire.

Rockcrawlintoy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #114 on: Nov 24, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »
Still not sure why you don't want to grab a set of rollers..

I did the 2 sets of tires thing for a while. It was a pain in the ass really.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Nov 24, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »
I did the 2 sets of tires thing for a while. It was a pain in the ass really.

Same.  I'd often just drive around on 39.5" iroks because I never wanted to swap back to my 35"s.

dbbowen [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Nov 25, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
I'm too broke to have 2 sets of tires right off the bat. I drive about 90 miles a week. So I do t think it should be too bad. I've never even seen the maxxis trep radials. The bias plys are awesome lookin though.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Nov 25, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
I'm too broke to have 2 sets of tires right off the bat. I drive about 90 miles a week. So I do t think it should be too bad. I've never even seen the maxxis trep radials. The bias plys are awesome lookin though.

5,000 miles a year won't kill set of the tires you are looking to at unreasonable speed.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Nov 26, 2016, 02:20:28 PM »
I'm too broke to have 2 sets of tires right off the bat. I drive about 90 miles a week.
No need for two sets, even a noisy tread would be tolerable for that amount of miles per day.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #119 on: Nov 27, 2016, 05:52:44 PM »
The STT pro is now available in a 40x13.50x17. I just ordered a set. There on backorder. I love those tires. Wish they still had the old tread design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
90'4runner......lots of goodies.