Author Topic: 81 5 speed hard to get in first gear  (Read 2639 times)

oleblue22

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
81 5 speed hard to get in first gear
« on: Jun 04, 2016, 08:23:36 PM »
Picked up an 81 a few weeks back and I'm trying to get all the kinks out of it. 155,000 miles, L50 Trans I believe. There are lots of threads on this same issue but none really addressed the issue other than shifter bushing and seat. When shifting into first I have to hold pressure on the shifter to get it to go in. If pressure is not held on it, it will just grind and not engage, however if pressure is held on it, it will clunk and go into first. Once in goes in first, it stays in and won't pop back out. All other gears go in and out perfectly. I replaced the shifter bushing and seat with an OEM Toyota one. It did tighten up the shifter significantly but it still grinds.

Not sure if this is a tell tale sign of what is going on but when I initially inspected the shifter bushing and seat, the bushing was fine but the only seat was about 1/8" thick black rubber washer. Who knows how long it was like that. The top corners of the groove in the shifter were worn slightly but not a lot, I wouldn't think that would cause this issue.

Any ideas on what I'm looking at? Thanks for any help you could offer.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 81 5 speed hard to get in first gear
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2016, 08:32:04 PM »
Clutch not fully releasing when pedal is depressed. pressure plate ? hydraulic system? cracked firewall? cracked pedal Assembly?
Try same thing you described  but go to second at complete stop first. Report back and we can continue diagnostics.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

oleblue22 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2016, 08:17:36 AM »
Second gear works perfect from a dead stop, as does every other gear. Played with it some more this morning, shift lever under slight pressure as soon as the clutch is released it grinds as its not fully engaged. Under more pressure, it will go in every time but will clunk every time it goes in. Same with going from 2nd to first when rolling, it will grind if pressure it not held on it and clunk when it goes in first so it's not just from a dead stop.

oleblue22 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2016, 04:12:40 AM »
Anyone? After reading and searching a lot on it, I'm thinking the trans might just be toast. I've found a few used ones around here for around $200. Kind of weary on a used trans out of a 30 year old truck though. May be giving Marlin a call for the L52HD.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
I still believe your clutch is not completely releasing when you have the pedal pushed down.
Try pushing the pedal down as hard as you can. Does that make any difference? Try adjusting the rod between the pedal and the slave cylinder. Did that make a difference? The clutch is the connection between the trans and engine.
Does it have the same problem when the engine is not running? Because if it doesn't then there is a clutch issue.
When you have the clutch depressed there should be no connection between the engine and trans.
I hope that all makes sense. Please report back on the questions I have asked you and I can continue to try to help resolve your issue.  I am hear to  :help:
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

oleblue22 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I replaced both master and slave cylinders with no luck.  I believe it is something internal. I adjusted the crud all the way out and still it won't go in without grinding. Even with the engine off and the truck rolling slowly I can press in the clutch and try to go into first and I can feel it ratcheting and won't completely engage until I put lots of pressure on the shifter.

I found a transmission with transfer case out of a 83' L52 I believe for $200 for both. About 2 hours from me. Guy said it shifted good when removed but it has been sitting out in the weather for a few months. It has no rubber boot on the bottom of the shifter so I imagine there is some moisture in it. Any thoughts?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »
Any used Trans is a gamble unless you can try it out before its pulled.
Ask if you can drain oil out of it first. If water comes out I would walk away.  :twocents:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
Try this! 

When it won't go into 1st, let off the clutch and then push the clutch back in, and try getting it into gear.  This realigns the splines, since most transmissions don't have syncros on 1st or reverse gears, since you generally are at a stop when trying to select those gears.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen