Author Topic: Hard to shift after adding gear oil?  (Read 9471 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Hard to shift after adding gear oil?
« on: Mar 11, 2006, 04:32:53 PM »
Ok guys, I have been having issues with my trans in the Migo.  Since I lifted the trans a couple inches when I did the swap and put in the new crossmember, it seemed to be running a bit dry.  I believe my friend called it "gear rollover" or something like that. So, I added some gear oil, about a quart of 80/90, and now it's hard to shift :headscratch: Could that be the result of too much fluid? Or?  :dunno:

thanks!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Hard to shift after adding gear oil?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2006, 05:37:51 PM »
the plug on the side of the tranny  is the fill hole and   Full level

so put 80wt in till it runs out
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
I put it in through the shifter :headscratch: Wouldn't the different angle of the tranny mean the fill hole may not allow it to be full enough? :dunno: I'm new to trannys :smack:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »
um  it depends on where the plug is  and how much you lifted the rear of the tranny

but i would say pull the fill plug  if it starts  gushing out  then let it,  its probably too full
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »
FFC, did you take your shifter out to add a quart? Or is there some sort of access hole by the shifter?  If you removed the shifter, chances are some bushing material may have gotten lodged in a bad place, or a bushing fell out and you didn't notice.  I would re-check my latest work if it were me.  Things like this happen all the time at my shop, so don't feel bad if it was something you did.  We've all been there.  :yesnod:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2006, 11:12:10 PM »
Ooh, also I know, at least with a toyota trans, if you were to lift the rear of the trans a couple inches  (i.e. tilting up the rear of the trans), the shifter bushings and linkage wouldn't be getting any oil because that stuff would be higher than the oil level now.  If your 'Migo trans has the shifter at the back of the trans, this will be the same type of problem.

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2006, 12:29:49 AM »
It's the gasket, when you took the shifter out did you replace the gasket, or did you just goober it up with silicon and maybe you did both? I did this with my Samurai and it wouldn't shift at all until I went to Suzuki and bought their gasket and used just the gasket with no RTV. Overfilling should not matter and would only spit out the vent until it leveled off when the trans gets hot. In some owners manuals it suggests overfilling the trans and t-case when flat towing  to save the bearings and seals.

About the only other thing I can think of besides the gasket is you mis-aliged a shift rod when you pulled the shifter and it is now kinda stuck between gears and another thought would be is, was there a rubber bushing inside the shifter that seats in the top of the trans, if it was worn you may now have the shifter too deep in the trans so it is binding up.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:14:52 AM »
Ooh, also I know, at least with a toyota trans, if you were to lift the rear of the trans a couple inches  (i.e. tilting up the rear of the trans), the shifter bushings and linkage wouldn't be getting any oil because that stuff would be higher than the oil level now.  If your 'Migo trans has the shifter at the back of the trans, this will be the same type of problem.

That's what I thought, that's why I added fluid

It's the gasket, when you took the shifter out did you replace the gasket, or did you just goober it up with silicon and maybe you did both? I did this with my Samurai and it wouldn't shift at all until I went to Suzuki and bought their gasket and used just the gasket with no RTV. Overfilling should not matter and would only spit out the vent until it leveled off when the trans gets hot. In some owners manuals it suggests overfilling the trans and t-case when flat towing to save the bearings and seals.

About the only other thing I can think of besides the gasket is you mis-aliged a shift rod when you pulled the shifter and it is now kinda stuck between gears and another thought would be is, was there a rubber bushing inside the shifter that seats in the top of the trans, if it was worn you may now have the shifter too deep in the trans so it is binding up.

Rs, there wasnt a gasket when I pulled the shifter :headscratch: There was a little gunk from the shifter boot deteriorating a little bit, but there was no gasket. I pulled the shifter out when it was in N, and I put it bac in in N :dunno: And it's not every time I shift, just sometimes :headscratch:

Thanks guys for your input :thumbs:

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:22:49 AM »
If it only happens sometimes when you shift, then it's probably a shifter bushing problem.  It's really common in the land of yota.  They start falling apart and get lodged where they are not supposed to go.  Sometimes, when you think you have it in gear, you let out the clutch and BAM, the shifter pops out of gear and the syncros grind.  Speaking of that, I need to fix thos bushings in my Taco.

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
I'm not sure as to which bushing you are referring :headscratch: I'll have to pull it out and take a look so I can have a better idea of what yer talkin bout :beerchug:

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2006, 09:49:53 AM »
put a magnet on it if it don't stick you put the rong fluid in. put atf in it.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:05:01 AM »
It's a manual trans.... I've been told to put ATF, motor oil, heavy weight gear oil and light weight gear oil   :beerwhack:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »
You screwed up, I just did a search and found that you don't put gear oil in the trans or t-case. It recomends 20-50 MOTOR OIL!!

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000737.html

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000626.html

:yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »
:smack:  thats why it shifts like crap,  your amigo uses motor oil in the tranny not 80wt gear oil

drain it all out and fill with some 15/40 rotella,  thats a deisel engine motor oil, :thumbs:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:45:34 AM »
You screwed up, I just did a search and found that you don't put gear oil in the trans or t-case. It recomends 20-50 MOTOR OIL!!

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000737.html

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000626.html

:yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:

That's for the late model with a 6 cyl... I wonder if it's the same requirements for an older 4 cyl :headscratch:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »
running too heavy  of oil will cause the problems you discribed

there was a guy on there with a 1st gen amigo  and said he was running 10w40

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:52:42 AM »
running too heavy  of oil will cause the problems you discribed

there was a guy on there with a 1st gen amigo  and said he was running 10w40

Thank you Glen... I haven't had a chance to read through much of it, I'm at work and this computer is insanely slow... I'll take a look tomorrow when I get home.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:54:51 AM »
yea  it looks like they all runs engine oil  in the tranny  :wiggle:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:57:33 AM »
:doh: guess it's time for a fluid change... all around.  I checked my motor oil yesterday and it's black as night :smack: oops!! Thanks guys! :love:

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:02:18 PM »
Wow, I never would have guessed that.  :headscratch:  Glad you figured it out FFC  :idea:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2006, 12:08:55 AM »
Samurai's are the same way, I think the reason with them is that little engine couldn't even spin a gear lubed up with 80 or 90 wt. gear oil. :laugh:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »
Samurai's are the same way, I think the reason with them is that little engine couldn't even spin a gear lubed up with 80 or 90 wt. gear oil. :laugh:

:bat:

:disturbed: Ok ok yer prolly right, but it's spinnin 35's right now with 90 wt in it :smack:  :angel:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
Ok, so I drained both the trans and tcase (apparently separate units in this case), and put in some 10/40 motor oil in.  It shifts like a dream...I haven't driven it yet, but it feels a lot smoother.  :crossed: We'll see how it goes

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2006, 04:24:19 PM »
:gap:   dang im good 

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »
 :shake: Pays to do your research before hand. :think:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »
:shake: Pays to do your research before hand. :think:

:slap: Whaddya think this thread is here for :shake:

:greengrin:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2006, 10:05:26 PM »
:slap: Whaddya think this thread is here for :shake:

:greengrin:

No, research is done BEFORE adding the wrong oil. :slap:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2006, 11:48:42 PM »
 :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Good to hear you got it settled!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2006, 12:20:47 PM »
No, research is done BEFORE adding the wrong oil. :slap:

Well :hammerhead: There wasn't much metal at the bottom of either, so I don't think I hurt it too bad.  It's all oil anyway right? :disturbed: