Author Topic: Thinking about getting bigger cam??  (Read 117232 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about getting bigger cam??
« Reply #330 on: Jun 11, 2017, 11:03:04 PM »
There's no reason for the program to allow you to enter LSA if you enter the ICL and ECL.

That's because LSA is simply (ICL + ECL) / 2.

Example:  A cam with 104 ICL and 108 LSA will always have an ECL of 112.  So a cam with an ICL of 106 and and ECL of 118 will have an LSA of 112.  That's just the way the math works out.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Jun 11, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »

This is good info. 

What I was referring to specifically in my last post was how to get the degree wheel bolted accurately to the crank snout.  Chances that the hole in my degree wheel exactly match the diameter of the crank bolt are very small.  If the hole in the degree wheel is bigger than the crank bolt then getting the wheel concentric to the crank snout centerline is nearly impossible without a bushing or something to fill the gap.  I doubt that Mr. Gasket degree wheel matches the 22R crank bolt diameter either, but they don't mention that in the video.  I had to make a bushing in order to use my Comp Cams degree wheel on my Pontiac. Will probably have to do the same thing for the Toyota 'R' series motor.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #332 on: Jun 11, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
There's no reason for the program to allow you to enter LSA if you enter the ICL and ECL.

That's because LSA is simply (ICL + ECL) / 2.

Example:  A cam with 104 ICL and 108 LSA will always have an ECL of 112.  So a cam with an ICL of 106 and and ECL of 118 will have an LSA of 112.  That's just the way the math works out.

That's true,  but from being on a slant 6 site;  it's easier to think in terms of ICL and LSA (slant 225s like tight LSA and advance ICL).     Then let the program figure out the ECL.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: Jun 12, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »
Some info on Jim's 272 grind and the variations available for Gnarly's spreadsheets:

"The 272 cam has 232 @.050 on the intake and the exhaust has 220 @.050. The lift is 430 at the valve . It can be ground on a 110, 112, 114 lobe separation. Intake center line is 105. We can also flip the profile around so the exhaust has the 232."

I just asked him to make me whatever variation would be best for a carbed truck with smaller tires and good gearing that I want to wind out a bit :), idle quality and bottom end negligible.  Plan to use it in an engine I will make for my stock-ish 1980 pickup.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Jun 12, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
That's true,  but from being on a slant 6 site;  it's easier to think in terms of ICL and LSA (slant 225s like tight LSA and advance ICL).     Then let the program figure out the ECL.....

Yeah, that's usually how I think about them too. The ECL will fall wherever - the important parameters for comparison are ICL and LSA.  Just pointing out that it's easy to calculate any of the lobe positions or LSA if you know two of the three numbers.  Cam spec sheets pretty much always give you all three.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Jun 12, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »
Some info on Jim's 272 grind and the variations available for Gnarly's spreadsheets:

"The 272 cam has 232 @.050 on the intake and the exhaust has 220 @.050. The lift is 430 at the valve . It can be ground on a 110, 112, 114 lobe separation. Intake center line is 105. We can also flip the profile around so the exhaust has the 232."

I just asked him to make me whatever variation would be best for a carbed truck with smaller tires and good gearing that I want to wind out a bit :), idle quality and bottom end negligible.  Plan to use it in an engine I will make for my stock-ish 1980 pickup.

Another cam with more intake than exhaust duration.... Interesting.  That's usually done when the exhaust ports flow more than 80% of the intake port flow and there are headers and a free flowing exhaust involved.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,256
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #336 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »

Hmmm... those numbers don't seem to compute?

To have an LSA of 110 the ECL would have to be 115 if the ICL is 105?  That puts the cam timing advances 5 degrees?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
You find it unusual for a cam to have advance ground into it?  Many (I'd even say 'most) cams do.  Look at the LCE grinds.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #338 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »
You find it unusual for a cam to have advance ground into it?  Many (I'd even say 'most) cams do.  Look at the LCE grinds.

No, I don't find advanced timing in cam profiles unusual, but I do find that ICL and ECL spread unusual.

Which LCE cams are your referring to that have advanced cam timing in the profile?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #339 on: Jun 14, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »

Hey Plainview,

I am a long way from any kind of camshaft expert, and I am not an engine builder.

For the past 15+ years I've looked at and tested in my software probably well over 100 different cam specs and profiles - 95% for the Toyota 20 and 22 engines.

LCE's "biggest" cam is their outlaw cam.  The specs appear pretty radical for a 22 and obviously designed for a seriously built race engine.  The cam has only a .8 degree of cam timing advance... that is point 8.  It does have a radical 27 degrees of overlap.... it will probably sound very loppy, and the engine probably would not idle below 1800 to 2000 RPMs.

I could be wrong and perhaps the data that Engine Analyzer is generating is off, but there are no camshaft profiles that  I've looked at so far for the Toyota 20/22s that show any degree of cam timing either retarded or advanced.. all are showing straight up zero.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2017, 12:40:56 PM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #340 on: Jun 14, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »
Hey Plainview,

I went back and looked through my cam library.  I was wrong!  LCE does have a cam profile (Street Performer P/N 1022054) for the 20/22 that has an unusual Intake and Exhaust Centerline spec.   Intake 102 and Exhaust 119.5.  That makes the cam 8.8 degrees advanced cam timing.

Gnarls.

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Jun 14, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »
There's more than one LCE profile with advance ground in. In fact, there are several.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #342 on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
There's more than one LCE profile with advance ground in. In fact, there are several.

OK, again, specifically which LCE cams for 20/22s have advanced degrees of cam timing in the profile?

What does advanced cam timing in a cam grind mean to you?

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Jun 14, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
We should get more bottom end in traditional theory but it probably depends on all the other aspects of the cam profile.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Jun 14, 2017, 08:08:23 PM »
We should get more bottom end in traditional theory but it probably depends on all the other aspects of the cam profile.

Yep.  In general, that's the idea - more low end torque though sometimes it will increase torque output across the cam's usable RPM range.

Gnarly - plug a cam in to your dyno sim program straight up, then advance it 4 or 6 or 8 degrees and watch what happens.

Here's one LCE cam that has 8 degrees of advance ground in. Their website lists all the lobe position specs for their cams and there are several other grinds with varying amounts of advance ground in.

http://www.lceperformance.com/EFI-Pro-Camshaft-22RE-RET-p/1022021.htm

Intake    Exhaust    
Valve Lash    .008    .012    
Valve Lift    .442    .442    
Advertised Duration    237°    240°    
Duration @ .050"    216°    219°    
Lobe Center    102°    119.5°    
Lobe Separation    110°       

Intake Opens    6° BTDC    
Intake Closes    30° ABDC    
Exhaust Opens    49° BBDC    
Exhaust Closes    -10° BTDC    
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #345 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:52:26 AM »
Yep.  In general, that's the idea - more low end torque though sometimes it will increase torque output across the cam's usable RPM range.

Gnarly - plug a cam in to your dyno sim program straight up, then advance it 4 or 6 or 8 degrees and watch what happens.

Here's one LCE cam that has 8 degrees of advance ground in. Their website lists all the lobe position specs for their cams and there are several other grinds with varying amounts of advance ground in.

http://www.lceperformance.com/EFI-Pro-Camshaft-22RE-RET-p/1022021.htm

Hey Plainview,

I'm not trying to be a butt-head with my questions, but really just curious about what published specs on a supplier's cam means to the average buyer.  And, then what cam timing does to the valve opening and closing events.

How did you determine the cam timing of the LCE cams with ground in advanced?  Where in their specs do they publish CAM TIMING?  Where in their published specs do you see OVERLAP DEGREES?

If you see the Lobe Separation Angle in the cam spec, will that tell you the Intake Centerline?

Geezzz…I’ve played with cam timing in the EA software a zillion times!

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #346 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:43:11 PM »
How did you determine the cam timing of the LCE cams with ground in advanced?  Where in their specs do they publish CAM TIMING?

Right Here:

Intake Opens    6° BTDC   
Intake Closes    30° ABDC   
Exhaust Opens    49° BBDC   
Exhaust Closes    -10° BTDC   

A cam calculator can figure out ICL,ECL,LSA, overlap from above
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Jun 15, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Hey butt-head, can you make a spread sheet from those 272 specs or do you need more/different data?   :gap:
– Steve McQueen

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Jun 15, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »
Hey Plainview,

I'm not trying to be a butt-head with my questions, but really just curious about what published specs on a supplier's cam means to the average buyer.  And, then what cam timing does to the valve opening and closing events.

How did you determine the cam timing of the LCE cams with ground in advanced?  Where in their specs do they publish CAM TIMING?  Where in their published specs do you see OVERLAP DEGREES?

If you see the Lobe Separation Angle in the cam spec, will that tell you the Intake Centerline?

Geezzz…I’ve played with cam timing in the EA software a zillion times!

Gnarls.

Forgive me, I assumed you knew the term "cam timing."  It's simply the lobe positions, the ICL and ECL since those numbers are referencing degrees of crank rotation or in other words how the cam is timed in relation to the crank.  Most manufacturers publish the lobe positions and many, like LCE, also publish the valve opening and closing events which could be calculated from duration and lobe centerlines anyway.

As for determining whether a cam has advance ground into it - When the ICL and ECL are the same (and they will equal the LSA when this happens), the cam is said to be ground "straight up" with no advance "ground in" to the design.  It appears this is the way Comp Cams grinds their cams for the 22R/E.  All the ones in their catalog have ICL=110, ECL=110 and the resulting LSA=110.   Again, remember that LSA is simply (ICL+ECL)/2. 

Now, let's say you have a cam where the ICL=106, the ECL=114 and thus the resultant LSA is still 110.  That cam would be said to have 4 degrees of advance "ground in" to it.  The lobes are in the same positions they'd be if it was ground straight up and you used an adjustable cam gear to advance it.

LCE has a grind with 8 degrees advance ground into it.  That's the most I've seen from any cam manufacturer for the engines I'm familiar with.  Most of their cams have less.

I don't pretend to know why that much advance is necessary, I can only assume they tested that cam and found that for the type of engine they expect/recommend it to be installed in it worked best.

Generally speaking, advancing a cam increases cylinder pressures at lower RPMs and thus tends to move the torque curve down in the RPM range.  Retarding does the opposite.

As to what these numbers mean to the "average" purchaser - I'd guess not much.  I think most people just choose a cam based on the recommendations of the supplier and maybe their friends/other hobbyists and they don't really worry about the numbers.

Those numbers are there for people like you and me who want to know more than the average person and have a solid base of knowledge on which to make meaningful comparisons.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017, 05:06:15 PM by Plainview »
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #349 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:09:38 AM »
Forgive me, I assumed you knew the term "cam timing." 

Hey Plainview…

:bowdown:  Thank you!  I had no flipp’n idea what cam timing is. :disturbed:

I clipped this from Crower’s website:  https://www.crower.com/camshafts.html?cat=1065

Can you please tell me what the ICL is for those “published” specs?

Part Number: 61809
Toyota Camshaft
Toyota - 22R
Performance level 5 - EFI - Stage 4 (Full Race) - Mostly strip, not for daily driver. Very rough idle, aftermarket valve springs, ECU mods required.
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 236°/240° RR: 1.5/1.5Gross Lift: .443”/.417” LSA: 114° RPM: 3000 to 7500Redline: 8000

Gnarls. :inthedark:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #350 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:14:40 AM »

Right Here:

Intake Opens    6° BTDC   
Intake Closes    30° ABDC   
Exhaust Opens    49° BBDC   
Exhaust Closes    -10° BTDC   

A cam calculator can figure out ICL,ECL,LSA, overlap from above

Correct!

Gnarls.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #351 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:16:41 AM »
No,  Only have LSA.    Need ICL to mathematically determine ECL.

Although you could set ICL to anything you wanted too............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #352 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:39:55 AM »
No,  Only have LSA.    Need ICL to mathematically determine ECL.
Although you could set ICL to anything you wanted too............

BINGO!

Well... I kinda wanted Planview's "view".... but he's probably still drooling on his pillow about now?

So do we know what the ground in cam timing is for this cam?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017, 03:47:05 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #353 on: Jun 16, 2017, 03:42:53 AM »
Question:  If engbldr cams, Comp Cams, Schneider cams, Crane cams, Erson cams, and TRD cams all have NO advanced cam timing in their Toyota 20/22 profiles, what does LCE KNOW that they do not?

Would you care to speculate?

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #354 on: Jun 16, 2017, 04:31:33 AM »
Hey butt-head, can you make a spread sheet from those 272 specs or do you need more/different data?   :gap:

OK "simpleton"... I will see what I can do.  :gap:

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Jun 16, 2017, 07:32:02 AM »
Question:  If engbldr cams, Comp Cams, Schneider cams, Crane cams, Erson cams, and TRD cams all have NO advanced cam timing in their Toyota 20/22 profiles, what does LCE KNOW that they do not?

Would you care to speculate?

Gnarls.

It might help sell adjustable cam gears.
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #356 on: Jun 16, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
OK "simpleton"... I will see what I can do.  :gap:

Gnarls.

H8PVMNT,

OK, I just did a 1K to 5K on that Putney 272 cam based on your skinny specs.  I swapped the cam in a stock 22R.

The numbers are shockingly low. 

I'm going to re-run it in the engine specs I've been comparing the other cams with.

Gnarls.

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Jun 17, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »

Hey Plainview…

:bowdown:  Thank you!  I had no flipp’n idea what cam timing is. :disturbed:

I clipped this from Crower’s website:  https://www.crower.com/camshafts.html?cat=1065

Can you please tell me what the ICL is for those “published” specs?

Part Number: 61809
Toyota Camshaft
Toyota - 22R
Performance level 5 - EFI - Stage 4 (Full Race) - Mostly strip, not for daily driver. Very rough idle, aftermarket valve springs, ECU mods required.
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 236°/240° RR: 1.5/1.5Gross Lift: .443”/.417” LSA: 114° RPM: 3000 to 7500Redline: 8000

Gnarls. :inthedark:

Surely you know enough to know it can't be determined from just that info.  Why Crower chooses not to publish their lobe positions or opening/closing specs is something you'd have to ask them.  If I was considering one of their cams I'd ask before purchasing.

As for why LCE grinds advance into their cams while other manufacturers don't, that's a great question.  When it comes to a company like Comp, I'm always skeptical that they've taken the time over the years to actually test their cams.  I'm not a fan of off the shelf Comp grinds for Pontiacs because they're very generic and aren't really suited to making best power in those engines and it looks like they may have taken a similar approach with the 22R/E cams. LCE on the other hand has been doing Toyotas for years and years, I'd trust their expertise over Comp's any day.  But then there's TRD who you'd think would be the ultimate source of knowledge about these engines...

What does your simulator say?
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2017, 12:21:53 PM by Plainview »
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Jun 17, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »
I'm stumped on how to find listings for TRD parts for these engines?  trdusa.com doesn't list anything for cars older than '95 so if I didn't hear it here I'd assume they don't offer anything for these old engines...
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #359 on: Jun 17, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
I'm stumped on how to find listings for TRD parts for these engines?  trdusa.com doesn't list anything for cars older than '95 so if I didn't hear it here I'd assume they don't offer anything for these old engines...

I added TRD because I have a library of their cams. I believe they stopped offering cams for the 22s some time back, I don't know when they stopped.

Gnarls.