Author Topic: another 22re tps question  (Read 1377 times)

shudson

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
another 22re tps question
« on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »
Hello everybody. I recently tested the tps on my 85 4runner and according to my meter it is bad. I have been chasing a slight miss at idle for awhile .When setting the timing after a timing chain install i couldn't get the mark on the balancer to shift far enough to the right to hit the marks on the oil pump.

When i jumped out the service plug nothing changes at all. Tested the tps and it shows open circuit across some of the pins and the other pins are out of spec also. With the tps unplugged it runs exactly the same, still has a small miss at idle but otherwise runs great. Plenty of power and it idles around 750 rpm but the miss is still there.

I swapped out the cap and rotor a few weeks ago and the miss got a little worse. I have read elsewhere that guys unplugged their tps and their trucks ran better but mine makes no difference at all if its plugged in or not.
Is that normal? i have been pricing new sensors and for some reason 85-89 sensors ( 8945220060 Toyota p.n.) are somewhat more expensive than later model ones. Is there another one (cheaper) that will work?  They all seem to be visually similar?

Thanks in advance for the help

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

shudson [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: another 22re tps question
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the link ovrarok. That site really didn't answer my question though but i figured it out anyway.

I happened by a pull a part in west Tennessee while i was driving around at work. They had an 86 2wd on the lot and i found the intake in the bed. The tps was a different part number (894520020) but i pulled it and the i.a.c. valve anyway. Got it home and it was identical to mine so i swapped it out and it worked like a charm. No more miss at idle and it runs perfect.

I was finally able to set my timing and found i had it set by ear at 8 degrees btdc which was 3 degrees off spec. My old tps wasn't springing back like it should which is the common failure as i have read elsewhere.  The i.a.c. was a bust though as it checked fine but my engine still wont idle up from a cold start. Oh well, i only paid 5 bucks for the tps and the iac so not much of a loss.