Author Topic: FlexFuel/CNG/BIO Conversion Options?  (Read 1160 times)

jssgbsn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 440
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
FlexFuel/CNG/BIO Conversion Options?
« on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:42:34 AM »
1985 4runner 22RE

Been thinking about getting off Gasoline lately.  I used E0 (pure gas) in my 4runner since it is best for this engine.

Curious if anybody has looked into or has thoughts on converting a 22RE to an alternative fuel.  Or is it out off the question because 1.) engine is too old and not able to handle the conversion or 2.) isnt OBDII so cant be reprogrammed to handle a conversion.

I have found this company http://www.fuelflexint.com/pages/tips.htm that sells E85 kits.  Have also seen some info on altering the computer to handle alcohol/ethanol/methanol/gasoline but it seems like these options only work for OBDII engines.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

If I don't ask the stupid question, who will?

85 Runner, 22RE, AEM 'warm intake', TRD Cam, LC Headers, Dual Case, 5.29's, ARB Front Locker, Detroit Rear Locker, 35's, V6 Brakes, ARP Studs, Marlin Arms/Caps/Hy-Steer, Winch, Armor, Can-Back Top....and...

...more Gremlins than Gizmo the Mogwai was responsible for.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: FlexFuel/CNG/BIO Conversion Options?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
The only thing I have looked into, and want is to run Propane.  But I can't risk the loss in bed space for tanks, for a DD.  And the cost of the initial purchase of everything.  But it would run cleaner and better for the environment overall.  Since gasoline is a very dirty fuel.  The only issue would be having to have a spare tank with you, and looking for places that can fill them when out on the road.  Locally, I have refilling locations at every gas station.  But out on the hwy, that would be more difficult, since alot of the stations have done away with the refilling, and just sell the pre-filled tanks. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

dcg9381

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: FlexFuel/CNG/BIO Conversion Options?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »
So Cheese is right.  The easiest and most supported solution is propane.  Easy to convert.
And you're right - the 22RE ECU doesn't adapt very well.  It's narrowband 02 and ECU can't really adjust fuel in a wide range.  It will, however, work find with standard E15 fuel... That's in bounds.  We can't even find E0 around here unless at an airport or marine fuel dealer.

That being said, I fiddled with megasquirt as plug-and-play on a 1988 22RE before going turbo.  Megasquirt can provide the fueling necessary to run E85.  In fact, I ran E85 semi-regularly after putting a turbo on it.   It required 25-35% more fuel across the board.    The only qualification with E85 is that the long term effects of all that alcohol are unknown, but the only real parts in play would be the rubber fuel lines, maybe the fuel pump, and injectors...