Author Topic: Early C4 transmission problems  (Read 1729 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Early C4 transmission problems
« on: Aug 10, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
Sorry, a bit of tech, but not 4x4 related.

I've got a 66 mustang with a C4 transmission in it.  Old one went out, so I put a different one in there.  For the first few times driving it, everything went fine.  Left one station today (backed out of my spot) and went to another.  The drive went fine, no problems whatsoever.  I went to move my car a few hours later, and reverse was GONE.  No movement, no engagment whatsoever.  Its like having another N. 

Any ideas, things to check?  Fluid looks good, smells good, etc. 

I'm at a loss as I know next to nothing about automatics, other than that I really don't like them.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Early C4 transmission problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:40:05 PM »
A little google love gave me this

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/235973-1966-c4-transmission-problem.html

Most of all the other search came up with no Reverse after a DIY rebuild. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

rock_krawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »
When I lost reverse in my C4 years ago it was due to a broken band.
How can Obama win California at the same time that Prop 8 is winning?????

There are more idiots than homos?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  Cheesy, I had the same problem, like you said, most were after rebuilds.

Just another wrench to throw in the mix, apparently it is intermittent.  Reverse is now working.  I think I'm going to adjust the bands, see if that helps.  Fluid is full and new, as is the filter. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
Almost all C4's have a issue of hitting into reverse hard.  I remember my parents had a old Ford Granada, and everytime you put it into reverse, there was this long pause and then all of the sudden, THUNK!!  Which over time, can't be good for the tranny.

Oh, BD did you hear me do a shoutout for you on the 18th of July?  I was in town for about 10 or 15 minutes.  However long it took me to drive through Sparks and Reno on my way to Fresno.   :yupyup:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
Almost all C4's have a issue of hitting into reverse hard.  I remember my parents had a old Ford Granada, and everytime you put it into reverse, there was this long pause and then all of the sudden, THUNK!!  Which over time, can't be good for the tranny.

Oh, BD did you hear me do a shoutout for you on the 18th of July?  I was in town for about 10 or 15 minutes.  However long it took me to drive through Sparks and Reno on my way to Fresno.   :yupyup:

I was wondering what that sound was!  :D 

I was about to type that you should have given me a call, I woulda met up with ya real quick, but that wouldn't do any good without you hveing my number now would it? :D

-Ronald Reagan

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2010, 08:52:29 PM »
Would have loved to meet up with ya.  But we had left West Yellowstone, Montana at 6:15am, and rolled into Fresno, CA around 11:00pm.  And we were just blasting our way through to Fresno.  That was over 1100 miles in one day.   :driving: