Author Topic: Where is my starter relay on my '82?  (Read 4400 times)

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Where is my starter relay on my '82?
« on: Nov 28, 2009, 08:45:42 PM »
I think I have my problem narrowed to my starter relay! :idea:

Here's the story. From time to time my truck will not start. From time to time my truck dies like pulling the key outta the ignition.

One early morning, I had enough guys around to push my truck so that I could pop the clutch and it fired right up. Before that we pushed it up on the trailer not knowing what was wrong...asked to "try it". Started right up! :hammerhead: After that had to get a couple of 4-wheelers together to tow me so I could pop the clutch. Started right up!

So, what causes the starter relay to (switch/unswitch) and why does it take the truck to need movement to do this?

Oh btw...where is this sucker so I can junk it?

TIA :biggthumpup:
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Where is my starter relay on my '82?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
:haha:  i have no clue , besides running a wire from your ignition to the starter bypassing the relay

the relay if i'm not mistaken is behind the glove box on the right

i have one i'll send ya for postage
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 12:20:39 AM »
The ignition cylinder provides the ground for the relay circuit which energizes the coil in the starter relay and shuts the switch. It shouldn't need any movement of the truck to do so.

You can check the coil by supplying power to pole 85 and ground to 86. If you hear it click then more than likely the relay is good.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that a bad starter relay wouldn't cause the truck to die. Plus, relays usually aren't an intermittent problem. If it were me I'd the ignition switch and circuit, and the starter relay wiring would be suspect. Maybe bad contacts in the switch or a short to ground somewhere.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
The ignition cylinder provides the ground for the relay circuit which energizes the coil in the starter relay and shuts the switch. It shouldn't need any movement of the truck to do so.

You can check the coil by supplying power to pole 85 and ground to 86. If you hear it click then more than likely the relay is good.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that a bad starter relay wouldn't cause the truck to die. Plus, relays usually aren't an intermittent problem. If it were me I'd the ignition switch and circuit, and the starter relay wiring would be suspect. Maybe bad contacts in the switch or a short to ground somewhere.
poles ?? wheres that??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 01:16:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm at wit ends about my truck. It doesn't do it all the time so finding the problem is a problem in itself.  :dunno:

Keep the responses coming.

Glen I appreciate the offer! Lemme continue my trial and error and I might hit ya up. :thumbs:
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
buy a book
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Lonestar Honcho [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
Nice sig TacoRunner...use it.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
 :argue:

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:57:31 PM »
Why get mad at him?  He may have been a little blunt, but his suggestion is a good one.  Haynes manuals have a wiring diagram that will help you figure out what's where, and it's a lot quicker to reference than the board  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:03:16 PM »
I dont think it was meant to be offensive, these trucks are pretty simple but still engineered by Japanese guys so they take some figuring out. A FSM or even a chiltons will help tons.  We are here to help dont get frustrated.

Richmondo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
poles ?? wheres that??

Generally on the bottom of the relay. I'm not familiar with the design of that particular relay. It was just some basic relay diagnosis.
It was just crazy to see this deer leap all suicidal style off this embankment right in front of us.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:49:35 PM »
Why get mad at him?  He may have been a little blunt, but his suggestion is a good one.  Haynes manuals have a wiring diagram that will help you figure out what's where, and it's a lot quicker to reference than the board  ;)

:beerchug:

I dont think it was meant to be offensive, these trucks are pretty simple but still engineered by Japanese guys so they take some figuring out. A FSM or even a chiltons will help tons.  We are here to help dont get frustrated.

:clap2:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
When it comes to vacuum lines and electrical. Buy a book. Especially electrical.