Author Topic: starter relay HELP ME PLEASE??  (Read 11303 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: starter relay HELP ME PLEASE??
« Reply #30 on: Nov 25, 2005, 10:49:01 PM »
Ok time for an update.  Last time I worked on it, her is what I finished with

Used a jumper wire from little connector on starter to battery.  That cranked the starter, turning the motor. 
Still have no spark, so motor won't run.
#2 fuel injector and fuel pump run after ignition switch is turned off.  I have to disconnect the battery to get them to shut off.  Its only the #2 injector, checked this by placing a screwdriver against the injector, and listening through the handle.
Starter relay still buzzes when everything is set up normally.

Friend suggested a possible bad computer, due to some of the random problems, and the fact that it is getting worse :dunno:  I've got a computer from an '88 v6 manual, would it do any harm to swap it out, and give it a shot? Any other ideas on the rest of the problems? 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:40:41 PM »
What year is your truck again?  According to my 89 & 91 schematic, the injectors are batch fired, meaning three injectors use the same ground, and the other three use another ground.  So, I would have a hard time thinking the ecu was bad, because the ecu only has two injector grounds.  So three injectors would have to be wigging out at once.

For the starter relay buzzing, check ground E on the left hand kick panel by the fuse box.  Also note that this ground runs through the clutch switch, (at the pedal) and it could be bad/ misadjusted.

It is also possible that it is a power side problem, being as the ignition switch supplies power to the starter relay through ST1, and power to the injectors and coil through IG2

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:46:51 PM »
my gawd dude, your an inspiration.. You have had sooo many problems and you keep on pluggin away! Reklund had some good stuff, all in all it isn't that tricky of a setup. With all the time you have into the truck I'd pick up a good wiring diagram, from the dealer or something. I got full size 24x36 wiring diagrams of the mustang when I wired my 5.0 from helminc.com. Not sure if they do foreign stuff. Anyway, you say your not good with electrics, no better time to learn. Just follow from the battery to the starter - and all the other stuff that is going funky. Probably some wires put on backwards or something that if you trace it you will find.

You need a $200 car to get around, I see em for that and less on craigslist all the time - even free..

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2005, 10:50:29 PM »
my gawd dude, your an inspiration.. You have had sooo many problems and you keep on pluggin away! Reklund had some good stuff, all in all it isn't that tricky of a setup. With all the time you have into the truck I'd pick up a good wiring diagram, from the dealer or something. I got full size 24x36 wiring diagrams of the mustang when I wired my 5.0 from helminc.com. Not sure if they do foreign stuff. Anyway, you say your not good with electrics, no better time to learn. Just follow from the battery to the starter - and all the other stuff that is going funky. Probably some wires put on backwards or something that if you trace it you will find.

Truth is, I'm just to dumb to quit :yupyup:  i've tried a lot of whats listed, finally got a hold of some FSM for my truck, so mabye that'll help :crossed:  If I can just get spark, I'll call it somewhat good, and hook up a half :moon: starter button made from my jumper wire on my starter.  I'm about ready to pull the stupid harness over winter break :yikes: but I know that'll be all bad :yesnod:

You need a $200 car to get around, I see em for that and less on craigslist all the time - even free..

I know, but they're always gone by the time I see them. :down:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:42:43 PM »
ok, heres my new thought :yikes:

to get my truck on the road...
Can I put a switch on the jumper wire on the starter, and put that in my cab without any ill effects?

If so, all I have to do is solve my spark problem.  I think I've already figured that out, so If I can do the jumper wire with no bad effects, my truck will be running.

-Ronald Reagan

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:09:41 AM »
Check this page out
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml#EasyTest
This discussion may help you also
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417569&highlight=toyota+starter+relay
Near the bottom of the page OOPS shows a way to use the Ford soleniod
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:22:12 AM »
some go help this poor guy out allready!!!!

I wish I had some spare time man :(

I wouldn't rig anything, you've got a ground missing or you've got something unplugged, or a bad switch/relay. Anyway - SOMETHING needs to be fixed..

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:46:13 PM »
some go help this poor guy out allready!!!!

I wish I had some spare time man :(

I wouldn't rig anything, you've got a ground missing or you've got something unplugged, or a bad switch/relay. Anyway - SOMETHING needs to be fixed..

Brandon,  I appreciate the hlep you've already given me.  I know you're busy man :thumbs: You've already helped me out more than I could ever expect :yupyup: 

:beerchug:

Prismo's links actually offered some help, I'm gonna try and tackle some of this stuff before jury rigging, but then, off to the improv it is :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:30:54 PM »
Double check your wiring diagram, as you may need a start signal to be sent back to the ecu.  If you still want to rig a start button, then tie it into the existing circuit at the starter.  Make a wire about six inches long that goes to the starter on one end and on the other splits off into two wires.  That way you can leave your existing wire hooked into the circuit, making sure the ecu gets a start signal.  Then just wire the other leg to your switch, a FUSE, and the battery.  By the way, make sure to use a momentary switch.  If you want to make it proper you should use a relay.  Of course, after all that, you could have fixed the factory start circuit.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2005, 01:04:39 PM »
bite the bullet..

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/aos/117225473.html

I'll pitch in $20 toward it, I know it's gotta suck for you not running..

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:30:16 PM »
bite the bullet..

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/aos/117225473.html

I'll pitch in $20 toward it, I know it's gotta suck for you not running..

It got deleted :down: what was it? electrical diagnostic? 

I'm about to bite the bullet and do that anyway. 

We worked on it today, still probably gonna do the switch, didn't even think about the start signal.  My fuel pump is still running when the truck gets shut off, thats the problem thats really bugging me at the moment.  I can't wait until christmas break, when I can sit down at my folks house for a few days in a row, and work on it. 

-Ronald Reagan

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:17:23 AM »
There were a few of em on craigslist, just some guys working at your site on your car. Who knows if they are any good..

Gotsa be someone local good at electrical and maybe toyota's :(
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

TOYOTA4X4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '02
  • That's nuttier'n a squirrel turd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2005, 02:19:44 PM »
BLACKDOG - my cousin works at a Chevy dealer in the Sac area... he is one damn good mechanic...  I am sure we can find some way to come give you a hand, if you would like. I know how bad it sucks to have a dead truck for months. Please let me know what you think.

BEAT IT INTO SUBMISSION WITH THE CONTENTS OF YOUR WALLET!!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:29:10 PM »
There were a few of em on craigslist, just some guys working at your site on your car. Who knows if they are any good..

Gotsa be someone local good at electrical and maybe toyota's :(

I was poking around on CL, and I may have found a guy.  Small shop specializes in offroad stuff.  Emailed him, said he can take a look at it, and that it doesn't sound too hard :crossed:

TOYOTA4x4

I may take you up on that.  My truck is in vacaville, but I have access to a trailer, so I can easily bring it back to sac.  I'm gonan spend one more weekend on it, then I'm gonna bite the bullet.

-Ronald Reagan

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:07:29 PM »
be sure to let us know about the $100 ground wire  :greengrin:
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

TOYOTA4X4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '02
  • That's nuttier'n a squirrel turd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:47:55 PM »
PM'd ya, BD
BEAT IT INTO SUBMISSION WITH THE CONTENTS OF YOUR WALLET!!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:27:53 PM »
be sure to let us know about the $100 ground wire  :greengrin:

knowing my luck, its gonna be a problem the guy has never seen or heard before, and won't be able to fix it :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2006, 11:30:37 AM »
Finally got the problem taken care of!!!! 

My ECU ground was broken :yikes:  I guess the wire had broken in the sheathing, but the sheathing hadn't broke.  I took it to a guy who specializes in toyota, nissan, etc. wiring systems, and it took him about 3 hours to find the problem. 

BUT I GOT MY TRUCK BACK, and it is RUNNING!!!! :woohoo: :hyper: :woohoo:

-Ronald Reagan