Author Topic: I need some wheel option's peeps.... please give me some input  (Read 5889 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Come this Dec, i'm going to have money to get my SAS, locker's and tires.... and i need some option's on tire's. I'm going with the MC 5" and locking her up with Aussie locker's front and rear. I've been looking at 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ, but i have been told there kinda soft. I will mostly be hitting trail's and rock's, but remember this is going to be my DD.

I have a 91 Yoder with a 3.slow in her....

But please peeps, give me some input, and maybe some location and web site's you have ordered from before, thanks ya'll

military_stang
:respect:

shmedly

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Uh Oh!
    • View Profile
I've looked that those tires @ the SEMA show. They look good. I was told by the rep that I should stay away from them if I play in the rocks. I also think the load rating was to high for my liking. I wanted "C". Good luck! I love my MTR's for DD and play..just my 2 cts..
85 Runner

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Summit racing.     BFG Mud terrain :yesnod:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
The BFG Mud Terrain is hard to beat for all around DD and offroad use and still performs very well off road in my opinion.  If you don't think you do enough offroad to need a Mud Terrain and are thinking about an all terrain I would still recommend the BFG brand...

That being said, how much real hwy driving will you do?  My DD never goes to town and is only driven locally so I opted to go for the toughest offroad tire I could find.  I run SXs and love them.  I would NOT want to drive very far on the hwy with them but neighborhood speeds and county backroads are fine.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
The BFG Mud Terrain is hard to beat for all around DD and offroad use and still performs very well off road in my opinion.  If you don't think you do enough offroad to need a Mud Terrain and are thinking about an all terrain I would still recommend the BFG brand...

That being said, how much real hwy driving will you do?  My DD never goes to town and is only driven locally so I opted to go for the toughest offroad tire I could find.  I run SXs and love them.  I would NOT want to drive very far on the hwy with them but neighborhood speeds and county backroads are fine.
I drive my SXs everywhere....highway, street, trail....no wobbles or shakes...nuttin...they are also filled with dynabeads, which I'm sure helps. I wouldnt recommend them for a street tire but they work. BFG muds would be my second favorite tire. Seems like all the heep guys run Mickey Thompsons...thats the only reason I wouldnt run them
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Well thank you all very much... about how much do they run for a set of four?? And what are dynabeads and what do they do???

military_stang
:respect:

caldwell636

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
When my rig was a DD i ran MTR's ... 35's from tirerack $800

now i run tsl's but it is strictly trail use only

The Rooster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '06
  • *life's short and hard like a body building elf*
    • View Profile
   I'm runnin 38.5 sx's on my 85 you probably don't want any thing that big but they seem to be wearing very well on road and IMHO can't be beat off road. 35's should be reasonably priced.. :yesnod:
It's A work in progress but it'll get there..slow and low im breakin er in easy...oh btw stock birfs suck!!!!

The Rooster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '06
  • *life's short and hard like a body building elf*
    • View Profile
   Just looked in ORA BFG M/T's 35's aprox $260...TSL S/X 35's aprox $250..I'd have to guess BFG's would wear better but I love my S/X's thy've never let me down.. :twocents:
It's A work in progress but it'll get there..slow and low im breakin er in easy...oh btw stock birfs suck!!!!

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
ive had good luck with the toyo mts on road they are silent, wear well, and work great off road. a little spendy though

i bought my third set yesterday

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
If you were to buy the 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ you would like them, perfect for a DD, but so are most of the others mentioned. BFG, Goodyear, Cooper, etc. are all great on/off road tires. As far as MTZ's being soft it is true, the compund will chunk and chip in the rocks a little, but so will most tires. The trade off is for super grip, they grip rocks like glue. The major drawback is the load range D has a stiffer sidewall.
 Just stay away from bias ply TSLs and all that as they are not good DD tires for 1 million reasons. They grip wet pavement like crap too. I love my new baja claws too but they are really loud on the road. All I know is tire shopping is fun and I wish I could own them all....
well all the good ones that is....
www.tirepackage.com  and www.ntwonline.com are two good places to order wheel/tire packages.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Ive got cooper discoverer stt's they are awesome. I would also recommend the bfg mudders but from what Ive seen and what everyone says they CHUNK bad. but for price and performance bfg mudders earn my vote!
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Ive got cooper discoverer stt's they are awesome. I would also recommend the bfg mudders but from what Ive seen and what everyone says they CHUNK bad. but for price and performance bfg mudders earn my vote!

I have cooper discoverers but i think they are the style before the STTs, they look a lot like a BFG mud just not as agressive. i have had more chunking problems with my coopers than I ever had with my BFG muds which i ran before these.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
i have had my mtzs for a year now and they work great in the rocks and road and mud
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
DD and 35s?  BFG MT2.  These came out a few months ago and are the large size replacement for the old MTs.  Better off-road and still decent on-road as a DD.

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
they look sweet too! havent seen them in real time but I looked em up and they should be a good tire. I thought they were called a KM2 tho?
_[O!!!!!O]_

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Yeah, those.  MT KM2.  Seems to be about as good as it gets for DD and moderate off-road.(course the youtube videos show guys using them for crawling without the diffs locked, so YMMV on what you consider "moderate". :)

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/promo/km2/popPlayer.html
(that yellow Jeep with the red flames on the front isn't using lockers to get over those rocks - halfway through the video)

A noticeable improvement over the old MTs but they only come in larger rim/tire sizes. 

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/BFG-Mud-Terrain-TA-KM2.htm

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
some people say that in snow they glaze right over tho!  and in ut we snow wheel alot keep that in mind. i would just go with the safe bet of bfg mudders man.
_[O!!!!!O]_

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I haven't checked prices lately but I was hoping that since the release of the new BFG mud terrain, that the old style will go down in price.  :crossed:

I'd like to run BFG muds again after these coopers burn up.

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
im waiting for my coopers to burn up too if im lucky i can find someone to buy them!
_[O!!!!!O]_

4runner17

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 315
  • Member since Jul '08
    • View Profile
mtrs all the way..mine is a dd i have had them well over a year and a half still have about 60%