Author Topic: Need some help, no accessory power.  (Read 289 times)

Baller

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Need some help, no accessory power.
« on: Mar 17, 2024, 09:39:52 AM »
I’m terrible at this electrical stuff and need some help with what to look at. ‘85 22R is what I’ve got. I’m having a problem with no power to the accessories. The rig starts and runs great, like it always has but, none of the accessories have power. No power to the radio or cig lighter, no power to a dash mounted tack and voltmeter and no power to the clock in the dash. I’ve checked all the fuses and everything looks good. One weird thing this is the tach and voltmeter are backlit and when I turn the lights on, all the dash lights and the backlights work correctly. Beyond the fuses, where should I look next?
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2024, 09:48:43 AM by Baller »

a1gemmel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Amateur shitbox whisperer
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help, no accessory power.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2024, 12:20:16 PM »
Sounds like gauge fuse to me, the backlight is on another circuit. I've had glass fuses pop that "look good" but have no continuity. If it's not the fuse, there's a fault somewhere else in the circuit. You can narrow it down by checking for 12v and ground continuity at that tach. Further than that, the repl loop of debugging electrical faults over the phone so to speak is quite slow unfortunately.
1981 Pickup - 37s, 5.29s, L52, dual cases 4.7 rear, e-locker front, grizzly rear, 22R stroker
1986 4Runner - 35s, 5.29s, auto, front Detroit, rear trutrac, 4" lift

Baller [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2024, 08:15:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Here’s more of the story. Last night I checked all the grounds and they are good. There was a constant hot wire run to the deck and an extra cig lighter that I got fixed. Still having a problem with the “accessory” 12v wire that turns on the stereo and powers the tach and voltmeter. I’ll attach a few pictures of what I’m looking at. Both the gauges and the accessory power to the deck are spliced into a red/green wire that goes into a loom, back behind the stereo, then to a bigger loom, behind the air ducting behind the steering wheel. I don’t know where it all goes from there, without tearing apart the whole dash. Anyone know anything about the red/green wire and where I may be able to track down the other end of it? Should I not mess with the red/green wire and find another 12v switched wire and just run everything from that with a clean wire?

First picture is the red/green wire that splices to a red wire that powers the tach and voltmeter. You can also see the extra cig lighter here.
Second picture is the red/green wire spliced into a red wire that runs to the stereo “accessory” circuit.
Third picture is the general setup. Don't think the tach is on here, it's stuck there, without power.

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2024, 08:32:49 AM »
On my 87 4runner. The red w/ green stripe wire at stereo, goes the 15 amp cig fuse at drivers kick panel
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Baller [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2024, 04:14:56 PM »
On my 87 4runner. The red w/ green stripe wire at stereo, goes the 15 amp cig fuse at drivers kick panel

Thanks.  I'll take a closer look at the circuit tonight. What else does that circuit it feed?  Maybe there's something else out that I'm just not seeing right now.  I'd interested in seeing if anything else on the circuit is out.  Thanks again.