Author Topic: I hate my NAPA store!!  (Read 2745 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I hate my NAPA store!!
« on: Aug 13, 2009, 10:31:11 PM »
So, I had picked up a bunch of stuff at Marlin's, while in Fresno.  Well, I get home and for some reason I decide to open up the rotors, Marlin gets them from NAPA.  And one is for a five lug hub.  :headscratch:  No biggie, I've worked in retail before, and once in a while you will get a item mis-boxed.  So, I go to my local NAPA and tell them that I got a rotor that is mis-boxed.  So, the idiot behind the counter immediately tells me I'm wrong.  And that he has never seen an item mis-boxed, in his 30 years of working in parts.  So, he asks me what this rotor is for, so I tell him a 86' FJ60.  And he had no clue what a FJ60 was.  So, I had to tell him "Toyota LandCruiser."   Well, the computer said that the part number was right for a FJ60, but he tells me that Toyotas only have 5 lugs, hence a 5 lug rotor.   :yikes:  I'm so pissed at this point.  So, I ask if he had a rotor on hand to compare the two.  All this time, he has not asked for a receipt of purchase.  And lucky for me, he had another rotor in stock. 

And guess what?  It was the right one.  The one I needed.  And at this time he was thinking that the one he had in stock was mis-boxed.  I'm thinking this guy is the biggest tool I've met.  And all the while this is going on, he's more interested in this tool catalog.  So, I've had enough at this point.  I'm ready to throw this rotor at this guy.  So, when he turns around to spend time looking at the catalog again, I quickly close up the boxes and tell him, "Well your right, and I'm just gonna take my rotor and go then!"  Well, I grab the right rotor and walk out, thinking this is the last time I will ever step foot into this place again.  I've had better luck at Schucks/Kragen than our local NAPA store. 

I've been to other NAPA's, and they are way better than this one I got in town.  This is why I deal with Carquest, yeah some of the parts are overpriced, but I've never had issues with any of their products. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

spc mike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Re: I hate my NAPA store!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
what was the location of the napa you dealt with?

krash81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
ah yes..the ever so helpful, know everything parts counter guys at napa. If i had a napa computer and catalog I would know everything there is to ever know about every vehicle ever made. Just like they do.

LOL..JK. but thats the impression I get from a couple of boneheads at my local napa.  

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2009, 03:48:37 AM »
wow thats messed up  i would write a letter to corporate and get Mr Mike W  to :whip: his :moon:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2009, 06:48:38 AM »
what was the location of the napa you dealt with?

Tillamook, OR

It's one of those privately owned ones.  It used to be called "Morris Supply, NAPA"  but we used to call it "Moron Surprise!"  I bought a starter for my old el camino once from them, cause they had the cheaper price, and better warranty, and they kept giving me one for a big block.  Of course, they don't have any on hand so they have to order it.  So, a week and a half later, and 4 trips to the store, I finally get this old timer who calmly says, "Oh, we got the starter you need upstairs, and you don't mind putting on the solenoid yourself, do ya?"   :tantrum: :maddest: :tantrum: :maddest:  That was 20 years ago, and I haven't been in there since, until the other day.  I got buddies that swears by NAPA!!    :shake_head:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »
yah, even my friend down here used to work at napa. as a machinist.  when he calls them
he has to give them exact part #s or they wont be able to find the part. if you try to search at the counter by application, if its not in the computer, they are traind to say they dont have it to save time.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2009, 07:37:38 AM »
 :clap: The human factor makes life so fun.  :stopit: Glad you got your part.  :thumbs:

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »
Our local Napa sold me the wrong alternator for my 83 Yota and when I started the engine everything from the headlights to the tail lights blew out including all the fuseable links under the hood and all fuses, melted some stuff. Cost me well over $400 at a local shop to get the mess straighted out and Napa would not make good the cost to me. Mine was an 'A' circut and they sold me the 'B' circut that did not have the internal regulator so 110 volts of unregulated AC went through my system.

They gave me back my old alternator and erased all transactions from their computers and then had the balls to say, "we don't have a record of a sale to you!" Stink'n crooks is all they are!!

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »
Our local Napa sold me the wrong alternator for my 83 Yota and when I started the engine everything from the headlights to the tail lights blew out including all the fuseable links under the hood and all fuses, melted some stuff. Cost me well over $400 at a local shop to get the mess straighted out and Napa would not make good the cost to me. Mine was an 'A' circut and they sold me the 'B' circut that did not have the internal regulator so 110 volts of unregulated AC went through my system.

They gave me back my old alternator and erased all transactions from their computers and then had the balls to say, "we don't have a record of a sale to you!" Stink'n crooks is all they are!!
and how did you get 110 volts thru your system?? plugged it into a wall socket ??

the alternator doesnt make any where NEAR 110 volts,   at the best 18 volts  since it IS a 12 volt system
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2009, 02:25:33 PM »

that same thing happend to me! they gave me a green plug insteed of a black plug and blew everything up! :shocking:

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »
As I understand alternators and the output of same:

An alternator puts out 110 volts of DC power at around 20 amps. With the use of rectifiers and diodes it is regulated to around 12 -15 volts DC. My AC reference was an typo, should have read 110 volts DC.

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2009, 08:38:31 PM by David »

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »
i only go to napa cause its closest otherwise i go to knechts or discount import parts in portland

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2009, 07:04:23 PM »
discount imports is awesome! great customer service! and they have everything i go to them for everything  :thumbs:

brockbuilt85

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 362
  • Male Posts: 1,715
  • Member since Oct '08
  • I do all my own stunts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
your napa sounds like my kragen, ill never step foot in that place again. my napa is the only place up here worth going to, autozone is hit and miss, i find that it really depends on who is working behind the counter, if there is a person behind the counter who i know they know what the f he or she doing, ill wait for that person, even if someone else is not helping anyone, and if there is no one i know there, ill leave, if its not an emergency.
When in doubt, skinny pedal!
Turd Box Build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50894.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
napa here isn't too bad.  The guys I've dealt with are more than happy to go out of their way to dig through the old books, and if they don't have exactly what they need, they'll try to figure out something that'll work.  They're also not above calling around (kragen, pepboys, autozone, summit) to take care of the customer. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2009, 09:58:34 PM »
ya guys i no the feeling of a stupid napa store.    there was a line of 7 people waiting.  i started to look around as i'm inpatient  and all i see is 9 empty non getting used computers. then i see 4 guys walked out of the back as if they were on lunch.   but it was about 4:30 p.m.   it sucked cause to buy some  grinder  disc, frame paint, and a damn gum ball for my boys it took me 20 minutes.    THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i'm still pissed.   
i love oregon wheelin.

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »
LOL you were working with Dan wernt you lol...... next time, (if needed) use Dave or Chris or the owner guy who i cant remembers name right now...

If your looken for parts in town and can wait over night come on In to where i work Tillamook
Motors, we can get anything and usually less expensive than both, and we got Wayne from CQ so we can prob find that oddball crap.....

Just so everyone understands, we live in a town of 4k and have 3 main parts houses napa, carquest, and shucks, AND THEY ALL SUCK.... seriously i am in the parts business and if anyone in this town knew anything about parts they could really make a good living (im to young and just dont care to do soo lol)....

Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2009, 06:51:05 AM »
Yeah, Wayne is my neighbor and has helped me many times.  Even on a Sunday when he was with Stan's Automotive (later Carquest).  And his wife and my wife are distant cousins.  Small town is no :pokinit: