Author Topic: LCEngineering exhaust/ Marlin bumper clearence  (Read 2271 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
LCEngineering exhaust/ Marlin bumper clearence
« on: Apr 29, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »
Does anyone have the LC Engineering exhaust system on a '84-'88 shortbed truck with a Marlin rear bumper? I was wanting to upgrade my exhaust to the LCE system, but I am thinking there might be a Marlin bumper clearance issue, but I have no idea, I am just speculating. If it does have a clearance problem, is it easy to fix? Should I just build my own exhaust after I install a header? Is there anyone else making exhaust systems for these trucks? Thanks!

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
Re: LCEngineering exhaust/ Marlin bumper clearence
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
Does the LCE exhaust have a big tip that sticks out the side? If so It might hit. You really wouldn't know until you had everything in place. It would suck to have to cut up a new exhaust system, though. Nothwest Offroad makes a cat back system that has no large tip. Downey might as well...I'v heard the Jardine is okay, too. Just don't buy pace setter, It's the only truly horrible one I know of.
You may want to build an exhaust system to suit you'r needs. I'v seen some tucked way up out of harms way that are pretty sweet. I used a Hushpower muffler from Flowmaster on my '91 and It is real small and sounds great. Dosent get hot, either some kind of kool shell tech.
Hope this helps.....

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
Yes, it's the one with the large tip. I was thinking about just putting a little more bend in it right before where it exits, but I don't know where it would then end up in relation to the rear tire. I'm just looking for a nice 2.25 in system, because mine is all rusted out from the cat back. Its missing the entire pipe from the muffler back, and the muffler is missing half of it's bottom. I finally got tired of having to drive with the windows down during winter so I don't die of exhaust fumes. I'll check out those other exhausts too. Thanks!

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »
Yes, it's the one with the large tip. I was thinking about just putting a little more bend in it right before where it exits, but I don't know where it would then end up in relation to the rear tire. I'm just looking for a nice 2.25 in system, because mine is all rusted out from the cat back. Its missing the entire pipe from the muffler back, and the muffler is missing half of it's bottom. I finally got tired of having to drive with the windows down during winter so I don't die of exhaust fumes. I'll check out those other exhausts too. Thanks!
Yeah, carbon monoxide ( the silent killer) or something like that...I was driving with no shifter boot and I almost died, Had to pull over and get fresh air..
This is a good reason to run you'r exhaust all the way to the back of the truck. I'v seen more  mufflers with no tail pipe than I could possibly recall, dumping exhaust right under the vehicle, And Its just crazy...
I fully recommend Marlins bumper, And I wish I had it instead of the ALL PRO rear. The Marlin is twice the strength!!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:12:24 PM »
i dont see how you almost died from no shifter boot..... i ran my truck for over a year with no shifter boot... and i had an open exhuast, it ended after the cat.... so basically a foot away from the hole in the floor.....

the lce is fine, it exits in the stock location, it should not interfere with the mc bumper, as the mc bumper is designed to be tucked up higher than the stock bumper, and the stock exhuast doesnt hit the stock bumper
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »
i dont see how you almost died from no shifter boot..... i ran my truck for over a year with no shifter boot... and i had an open exhuast, it ended after the cat.... so basically a foot away from the hole in the floor.....

the lce is fine, it exits in the stock location, it should not interfere with the mc bumper, as the mc bumper is designed to be tucked up higher than the stock bumper, and the stock exhuast doesnt hit the stock bumper
Yeah, I do exagerate a little some times... there was some exhaust leaks under there and and I got super dizzy, there was this constant rush of fumes into the cab...
Maybe some folks can take the fumes more so than others. I'm a non smoker....

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:21:32 PM »
Not sure if this will help you but this is what I did.

Since I wasnt sure what i was going to do with the tail end of my truck yet.

First - I got the LCE Header and I absolutly :love: it.  Installed it myself.   

Second - Went to a highly recomended exhaust specialty shop and hung out while for the most part while he did the job.  This way I got to tell him exaclty how I wanted it, tucked high and exiting out through the rear spring and frame.

just my  :twocents:

It is 2 and 1/4 all the way out and it works very well. 
Hopefully this helps.

:psss:  Sorry but I have to vote against the big chrome tip.  but that is just me.   :gap:

I like to Drive!

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:24:22 PM »
Not sure if this will help you but this is what I did.

Since I wasnt sure what i was going to do with the tail end of my truck yet.

First - I got the LCE Header and I absolutly :love: it.  Installed it myself.  

Second - Went to a highly recomended exhaust specialty shop and hung out while for the most part while he did the job.  This way I got to tell him exaclty how I wanted it, tucked high and exiting out through the rear spring and frame.

just my  :twocents:

It is 2 and 1/4 all the way out and it works very well. 
Hopefully this helps.

:psss:  Sorry but I have to vote against the big chrome tip.  but that is just me.   :gap:

In my humble opinion, a 22re will have better low end power with a 2 inch exhaust rather than a 2 1/4.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
In my humble opinion, a 22re will have better low end power with a 2 inch exhaust rather than a 2 1/4.
I had a really hard time making the decision for about a month.  I kept reading things where people swore by one or the other.  I finally just had to pick one, I made my decision based on the header collector being 2 1/4.  Cant say it is the right one for everybody, but i figured in those times where I was reving high it might help flow better being the same dia all the way out.  it is way better than what i had so I am happy with it.  Next time I might try the 2 and see if I can see the difference.   :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2007, 12:11:43 AM »
I'd just save some $$ and make it yourself, especially if you have any welding skills.  Just buy a muffler and cat, some 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust tubing, and get to work.  If you can't/don't want to do the bends, plenty of exhaust shops/auto parts places have prebent sections you can just weld on :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I think I might just buy the header and make the rest myself. I was going to buy the cat-back first and add the header later, but now I am not sure. I don't really like the huge tip, but its what I could find. I may just put on the header, skip a cat, and exit right before the left rear tire. My main concern right now is keeping exhaust out of my cab, and hopefully increasing power. These trucks are so underpowered. I might just be my truck though, because I don't know the history of this engine, and I blew the original engine. The first truck I drove for any length of time was a '91 F-150 with a mildly built 302. When I switched over to a Toyota, it kind of made me laugh. It works pretty well until I try to get over 65 mph on the highway. I am afraid to take the engine much over 3000 rpm, especially after blowing my last engine. What rpm can I take these engines to? Also, what size exhaust tubing should I use? I thought 2.25 in. because that's what LCE is using, and they have probably been doing exhaust for these engines longer than I have been alive. But I also know I need a certain amount of backpressure for the exhaust to scavenge correctly. Now I have no idea what I should do. Suggestions? Thanks!

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
I think I might just buy the header and make the rest myself. I was going to buy the cat-back first and add the header later, but now I am not sure. I don't really like the huge tip, but its what I could find. I may just put on the header, skip a cat, and exit right before the left rear tire. My main concern right now is keeping exhaust out of my cab, and hopefully increasing power. These trucks are so underpowered. I might just be my truck though, because I don't know the history of this engine, and I blew the original engine. The first truck I drove for any length of time was a '91 F-150 with a mildly built 302. When I switched over to a Toyota, it kind of made me laugh. It works pretty well until I try to get over 65 mph on the highway. I am afraid to take the engine much over 3000 rpm, especially after blowing my last engine. What rpm can I take these engines to? Also, what size exhaust tubing should I use? I thought 2.25 in. because that's what LCE is using, and they have probably been doing exhaust for these engines longer than I have been alive. But I also know I need a certain amount of backpressure for the exhaust to scavenge correctly. Now I have no idea what I should do. Suggestions? Thanks!
If you have significant breathing mods to the engine, like oversized valves and a cam, or if you plan on adding them, go with 2 1/4". If the motor is going to stay relatively stock, go with 2"
I ran my headers 2 1/4 to a reducer into  2". I don't run a cat. converter though, and that makes a  difference...Oh and 5500 RPM is your redline.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i  personally ran a full lc exhaust and motor in my runner with a marlin raer bumper, no problems...until i tore my bumper off