Author Topic: Lets talk for a minute about cell phones...  (Read 2583 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Lets talk for a minute about cell phones...
« on: Aug 28, 2006, 04:51:37 PM »
So, I have Verizon which works out well because most of my family does as well.  My two year plan in up in a couple weeks and I will likely go with Verizon again, the service has been fine.  My issue is that the Verizon offered phones blow my left nut.  They do not offer a phone that suits my preferences or needs.  I have seen others that I like better...can you get a cell phone co. to initiate their service on a phone purchased from somewhere else?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Re: Lets talk for a minute about cell phones...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2006, 07:16:25 PM »
I have talked to Cingular about activating a phone bought from sprint (cingular doesn't offer an intrinsically safe phone). They said that as long as sprint game me the unlocking code for the phone it could most likely be activated.

They said there was no guaranty that all the features would work, but it would send and receive calls.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:52:12 AM »
when my contract is up i'm going back to verizon, i've had it with cingular. yall know their commercials about being the network with the fewest dropped calls? BULL!!! i'm always dropping calls with 4-5 bars, and i know its not the phone because this is my 3rd one from them, the other two fell apart, literally. plus it usually takes people 2-3 times of calling me to get through. cingular is crap, when i was with verizon when i lived in houston 4 years ago it was great, wonderul reception, my phone was durable (motorola startack), great highway reception to.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »
I too have this problem as most of Verizon's new phones all have cameras (I can't have a cell phone camera in some of the buildings I visit :thumbdown:). I have heard, :psss: that you can buy the "old" model phones that Verizon doesn't sell through third party vendors at a fairly reasonable price.  :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:14:08 PM »
What do you need, or what don't you want? Plain Jane phones are hard to come by now days. Have you called 611 and asked them?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »
What you need to do, is find a cell phone dealership that ins't a Verizon, Cingular, etc. store!  For example, in Portland there is a Car Stereo City, or something like that, that carries all the service providers.  You can pick whatever phone you want then you pick your carrier!  I know if you go to verizon they have specific phones that are exclusive to them.  I'm the same way, I need a new phone but I don't want it take pics, I want a "PHONE!"  I have a camera, and a camcorder!  Why do I want one that will take crappy pics!  The next time I go to Portland I'm going there! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »
I ended up getting a fairly plain jane Nokia phone from Verizon with a new contract.  Phone = free so I justified it.  I can't see switching off Verizon, their phone situation may blow, but they ahve the most consistent service I've used.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
when my contract is up i'm going back to verizon, i've had it with cingular. yall know their commercials about being the network with the fewest dropped calls? BULL!!! i'm always dropping calls with 4-5 bars, and i know its not the phone because this is my 3rd one from them, the other two fell apart, literally. plus it usually takes people 2-3 times of calling me to get through. cingular is crap, when i was with verizon when i lived in houston 4 years ago it was great, wonderul reception, my phone was durable (motorola startack), great highway reception to.

Its all about the area tha you're in.  Cingular works great where I'm at, I hardly ever have any problems with them, even when friends with other servers (verizon) do :dunno:

What you need to do, is find a cell phone dealership that ins't a Verizon, Cingular, etc. store!  ! 

:thumbs:  they're all over the place in Sac.  You can buy any phone you want, and they connect it to the provider for ya
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
Most of em round these parts don't seem to have Verizon, they have Cingular Alltel T-mobile Sprint Cricket even radioshack no mo Verizon.