Author Topic: What is better? 4.7's or dual cases  (Read 2681 times)

AJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What is better? 4.7's or dual cases
« on: Apr 02, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »
Ok heres how i see it. Marlin has 4.7's for $429.00, Advanced adapters has 5.0' for $395.00. Now what are the down sides to running these instead of dual cases. Are they weeker or just a better route to go? My worries about dual cases is finding a cases cause they are hard to come by for a fair price. I know it would be nice to have that extra lenth in front driveline but am keepin it lower for better stability. Any help would be greatly aprreciated.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: What is better? 4.7's or dual cases
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2005, 08:07:05 PM »
you would have alot more options with duels or even duels and a 4.7 gear set personaly i wouldent buy advanced stuff unless i had to id rather go with marlin but thats just me :beerchug:

AJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2005, 09:25:35 PM »
Well is there a difference? I think they both have same products just different names on them. Not only that but there prices are much different. If they are stronger i would like to know cause then i would spend the extra cash.

AJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2005, 12:32:43 PM »
bump

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2005, 12:57:41 PM »
I say go duals...

If you do go the 4.7's or 5's, read this http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4310.0 why marlins are so much better. I read this thread and the $30 more is a better rout to go.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

obrut7777

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2005, 10:07:54 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong someone but, I believe the dual cases is a tad lower in ratio than the single 4.7 so it isn't a totally equal comparison in respect to gear ratio.  I have the 4.7 single box and one of the things is that when reversing the gear ratio is still low, I have no choice other than to shift to 4hi to speed up my reverse.  This becomes kind of irritating after a while when there's a lot of other trucks you are trail riding with and there are tight spots that require reversing.  Other than that, Marlin's stuff works awesome!  My  :twocents:   

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2005, 01:04:17 PM »
How far you driving that you have to be Mr. Speedy Turtle in reverse...besides, even with dual cases you will still have to shift out of low on one case to change the reverse ratio.
Hehehe, 50 MPH k-turn.  Patience is a virtue, no  :dunno:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

obrut7777

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2005, 01:50:16 PM »
How far you driving that you have to be Mr. Speedy Turtle in reverse...besides, even with dual cases you will still have to shift out of low on one case to change the reverse ratio.
Hehehe, 50 MPH k-turn. Patience is a virtue, no :dunno:

A lot of trail riding done approximately 1 - 3 miles.  I find that with this box, I can use 3rd gear low to simulate 1st gear 4low with a stock box.  It's just that when I have to reverse and if I need to speed it up some I shift to 4hi.  It all boils down to having more options available with 2 cases.  If I had 2 cases, I would trail ride in 4low 2.28 (stock gear ratio with one case in 1:1 and the second case in low) and reverse at normal speed.  Again, not a biggie but, is a consideration.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2005, 02:02:58 PM »
Yup, that's the only problem with a single case, Once you're in low range you are stuck in super low.

Dual cases give you the option of using the same stock gear ratio that you are now and then shifting the Crawler into low when you need to be super low (doubled down).

A Dual case setup is 2.28x2.28 = 5.2:1 which is lower then just a single case with aftermarket gears.

About the A/A 5.0 gears I would HIGHLY recommend reading what I have here:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4310.msg38627#msg38627

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2005, 03:30:33 PM »
I meant speedy turtle in reverse...I suppose I have just never been in a situation that required backing up at more than 1-2 miles an hour.  I know in tight situations I take it slow, and the guys I wheel with do too.  Anybody screaming with impatience behind you oughta suck it up and realize that wheelin is fun and relaxing...this ain't no race.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2005, 12:00:13 PM »
A Dual case setup is 2.28x2.28 = 5.2:1 which is lower then just a single case with aftermarket gears.

BigMike, this is a  :smack: observation, but I want to hold you to the same standard as you do Advanced Adapters.  In your comparison you note that the AA case is really 4.97:1 rather than the 5.0:1 that they advertise.  2.28x2.28 = 5.198:1...ok I will accept 5.2:1 as technically correct, I failed to notice the third decimal.

There is no question that the Marlin gears, case or any other product are superior to the competition.  I have a single 4.70:1 case and it can be a pain to back up in low range, but it has never been a problem on the trail.  It almost takes as long to shift it twice as it does to just backup.

What are you, or did you, take in school?  You knowledge is amazing and I'm curious about your background.   :biggthumpup:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2005, 12:14:03 PM »
the third decimal.
I did the same rounding with A/A..
(37/20) x (43/16) = 4.971875:1 = 4.972:1 = 4.97:1 (rounds down)
I've always told people that two cases are a 5.19 but I've tried to stop that since it rounds up to 5.2 :gap:

I'm curious about your background.
I've just had one to many road trips sitting next to Marlin :ack:
And to be perfectly honest, I'm only good with what I know, which happens to fit this world perfectly (Toyotas)
Put me somewhere else and I'll be par at best  :confounded:
As for school Im getting my butt kicked by Mechanical Engineering. Finally gonna transfer to State this Fall :booya:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2005, 12:15:43 PM »

As for school Im getting my butt kicked by Mechanical Engineering. Finally gonna transfer to State this Fall :booya:

and I thought word problems were hard :smack:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2005, 12:19:35 PM »
and I thought word problems were hard :smack:

You do Essays in English, and then word problems in math. Then you will learn about Calculus and then go into deep study about ordinary differential equations. Now I am learning how to mix ODE's with Matrices, and now we are getting into Word problems using a high order ODE Matrix. Then I hear I will have to start doing Essays again about why 1+1 = 2. :crazy:  :trout: :thud: :jawdrop: :sofa:
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2005, 05:22:05 PM by BigMike »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2005, 12:35:47 PM »
I thought it equaled 3 ? :headscratch: 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2005, 12:37:19 PM »
 My math teacher in High school got pissed when I told her I wasnt doing imaginnary numbers.  I turned in a blank sheet of hwk, and he said you didnt do your hwk, I said yes I did, we're doing imaginary numbers right?  I spent a lot of time outside her door that semester  :smack:

-Ronald Reagan

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2005, 05:30:39 PM »
:offtopic:

BigMike - I got the feeling that you were of the engineering mind from what I have read in your posts.  The transfer case comparison was the most obvious followed by your AMSoil Denny's conversation.  I'm sure that you aren't the expert at everything, but who needs to be great at more than a few things.  I'm dumb as a post on many topics...auto mechanics to name one, but I'm learning.  Does your dad have any engineering background?  The things he figures out and designs are simply amazing (fwd t-case for example), how much are you involved in those projects?  Your senior design project should be a snap.

I started doing the mechanical engineering thing and it :kickbutt: so I switched to civil engineering and did well.  Linear Network Analysis and Feedback & Controls ran me out.  Year 3 of 5 was the hardest for me, I hit the books at least 6 hours a day plus classes, but it was worth it in the end.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2005, 08:41:02 PM »
Does your dad have any engineering background? The things he figures out and designs are simply amazing (fwd t-case for example), how much are you involved in those projects? Your senior design project should be a snap.

Marlin is a hard working self taught prodigy child. His older brother is hobby-less and lives by himself and his younger brother is an excellent electrician but also lived alone for most of his life. In HS Marlin had 3 different paper routes and repaired his teachers cars as he paid his own way through private school. His parents were very poor and Marlin had to do everything he wanted to by himself. But because of his hard work, he got a full 2-year scholarship to a Private college because his HS teachers wrote a letter to the college and told them how hard of a worker Marlin was and that he could never afford to go to college. He graduated with a AS in Industrial Tech I believe and then got hired as a Machinist where he worked for I think 6 years. And then in 1986? he started doing Mechanic work out of his garage and 1 year later opened up Marlin's Automotive.
He was into sand rails and buggys and hit the dunes all the time. He was a avid backpacker/hiker and he can get lost in the forest and survive of the nature without any problems. He has amazing confidence when it comes to the mountains and hiking. He will just head straight off the trail and we wont see him until night fall where he will already be at camp with a fire going .. the whole way without even using the actual trail.

Then he got out of dune buggies and bought a 1980 Toyota truck back in 1984. He is the 2nd owner. He wheeled it for a while and then around 1994 he found out how to build a Crawler and the rest is history.

He's the smartest guy I know.