Author Topic: Propane?  (Read 6347 times)

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Propane?
« on: Mar 12, 2005, 03:37:16 PM »
  Have any of you guys checked out www.gotpropane.com, i was looking at some of their stuff and it looks flippen awsome, My truck has a 22re in it and they have a kit for my app. but they also have a turbo kit, but I don't know if it is for The R ot RE but they did a dyno run and it made 167HP :shocking:  to the tires and the truck has over 200,000 :o  miles on it.

I was going to do a 3.4 swap, but this looks like it "could" be cheaper but I don't know.

just looking to see if any body had some expirence with one of these kits

thanks
Joe
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17579
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Propane?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »
there are a few guys on pirate that have cary's kits...not shure about here.
those kits look and work fricken awesome...but they are hella expensive.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa:  :turtle:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2005, 08:40:12 PM »
I like the idea ! I gave up on my efi conversion ! I want to keep things  simple not complicate them more ! thought I might look into it more myself thanks for the post ! I was looking for that a couple days ago !!

Ks Toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 56
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Building Lil BBB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2005, 10:58:46 PM »
so can you still drive it on the street and stuff effeciantly or what?  Is it like fo roff road only then?  What is the fuel economy like?
http://roots.zapto.org/~cwo/index.php
Central Washington Offroaders

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17579
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2005, 11:16:55 PM »
with my 'research' lpg gets crappyer gas milage....like 2-3 less. you can find most of the info on teh website that is linked.
my problem with it is smog...i live in calif. there was a post about this on here.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa:  :turtle:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2005, 11:45:07 PM »
The mileage goes down a bit but the fact that its cheaper and your engine lasts forever is a great tradeoff.  If I didnt already have efi Id go propane in a heartbeat.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2005, 06:37:38 AM »
Another negative is the fact that you have to mount a tank for the LPG and those things are bloody heavy! :smack:  not to mention that they seem to only come ir a round shape.....
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2005, 04:18:20 PM »
my problem with it is smog...i live in calif. there was a post about this on here.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa: :turtle:

When I lived in AZ they actually gave you bennifits for going to propane, like a carpool pass and a whole bunch of tax right offs, because the emissions are actually less.

does any body on this board run a simular kit?  or just the guys on pirate?
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2005, 05:04:49 PM »
ruger im in ca and also interested in the propane kit but was always wondering about smog?? i know you have to have it professionally installed if your useing it for street use but how about the smog and everything else??? :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2005, 07:07:47 PM »
Another negative is the fact that you have to mount a tank for the LPG and those things are bloody heavy! :smack: not to mention that they seem to only come ir a round shape.....

How can a propane tank be any heavier than a full gas tank? Sure the tank is heavy, but so is a fuel tank or fuel cell with 15-20 gallons of gas in it. Does anybody else offer propane conversion kits for toyotas or is this the only one? Sure looks like a great alternative to swapping in fuel injection on a 22r.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2005, 06:42:55 AM »
How can a propane tank be any heavier than a full gas tank? Sure the tank is heavy, but so is a fuel tank or fuel cell with 15-20 gallons of gas in it. Does anybody else offer propane conversion kits for toyotas or is this the only one? Sure looks like a great alternative to swapping in fuel injection on a 22r.

Most of the tanks I have seen are made of aluminum, I bet you that they would be about the same weight full as a full tank of gas.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2005, 07:03:45 AM »
  Have any of you guys checked out www.gotpropane.com, i was looking at some of their stuff and it looks flippen awsome, My truck has a 22re in it and they have a kit for my app. but they also have a turbo kit, but I don't know if it is for The R ot RE but they did a dyno run and it made 167HP :shocking:  to the tires and the truck has over 200,000 :o  miles on it.

I was going to do a 3.4 swap, but this looks like it "could" be cheaper but I don't know.

just looking to see if any body had some expirence with one of these kits

thanks
Joe

Figure it out Joe and we'll convert my 22R to run propane. 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2005, 10:24:45 AM »
I just got done wheelin' with those guys at the chili challenge and i can honestly say that his set up is sweet. If you think about it, converting to fuel injection isn't all that cheep, unless you know where and or whom to get the setup from cheeply. I remember him tellling me that you can wheel for a few loooong day with a small tank. Also, couldn't you just flip the propane on and inject it only when you needed it? His truck sounded cool as all hell when he wound up the turbo..here is a pic from Habenero Falls
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2005, 10:41:16 AM »
Man I gotta have it ! gotta sell somthin but I've gotta have it ? does anybody else sell a kit !  :flamer:

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2005, 01:11:22 PM »
Propane fuel seem to be a popular topic on a lot of boards lately. Wonder why?  :wink2:

The tank has to be stout enough to survive a crash with 200+ psi inside it. Propane is stored as a liquid, not a gas. However, Propane in liquid form only weighs 4.2 lbs/gal vs. gasoline's 6.2 lbs/gal average. Propane tank shapes have to be round with round endcaps b/c of the pressure. Just like OBA tanks should  be.

CA used to consider propane as an Alternate Fuel and cut you quite a bit of slack if you converted. Do not know if that is still the case.

Propane is a dry fuel. Meaning valve lubrication is nearly non existant so hard seats for both intake and exhaust are needed. I do not know how hard the intake seats of a 22R/RE are. To get the most from propane you need to bump up the compression. It has a Research Octane of 112 and a Motor Octane of 97, so high comp ratios are doable.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2005, 01:23:10 PM »
Figure it out Joe and we'll convert my 22R to run propane.

Yah dude well have to do them at the same time.  Or if I do it you can buy my EFI stuff off of me. 

What you doin this weekend want to bob my bed?

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2005, 02:12:05 PM »
Yah dude well have to do them at the same time.  Or if I do it you can buy my EFI stuff off of me.

Sounds good

What you doin this weekend want to bob my bed?

That sounds pretty bad  :ha_ha:  :haha:  :laugh:  :hahaha:   Give me a call this week and we'll talk about it
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Curran

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2005, 02:49:22 PM »
As a side benefit, the expense of converting you vehicle to Propane can be a federal tax deduction.  Out here in D.C. running propane will also allow you to use the HOV lanes during rush hour.

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2005, 03:39:56 PM »
Out here in D.C. running propane will also allow you to use the HOV lanes during rush hour.

AZ is the same way or at least it use to be.

How do you think this would work on a DD, so far the only con i can think of is fueling it up, where I live I can't really think of any placew that fill propane comercially, but I'm sure there is, and what if I decided to go on a road trip, It's not like I can just pull over and fill up.  That the only thing really holding me back.

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2005, 12:41:06 PM »
     Talked to Cary today about the swap, sounds even better now, I can keep my EFI intake and stuff, but I get to ditch all of the wireing, dist. and Coil ingmiter asm.  The turbo that comes in the kit is a T3/T4 hybrid whitch is one of if not the best turbos for a toy.  The Propane is fed before the turbo so it doesn't matter how mutch the turbo spools up it just sucks in more fuel to go with the air so there isn't really a chance of it goin lean.  Cary's truck is running 42" tires with 4.10 gears :o He said he has no problem keeping up with V-8 rigs and get way better gas mileage.  I asked him what propane is a gallon, and in Tempe it is a $1.50 a gallon, right now I am paying $2.20 a gallon for 91 octane and propane is 110-112.  This just keeps getting better

Late
Joe

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2005, 03:13:56 PM »
Anybody know the cost of the propane turbo setup?

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2005, 06:08:33 PM »
Cary told me if I bought them together he would do it for around 2K not including a tank.  That is on an EFI engine.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2005, 07:46:05 PM »
Would that cost be cheaper for a 22r? What other mods would need to be done for the motor to handle the increase in power from the turbo? On the website it says they O ringed the block. Is that necessary? Can the turbo kit be installed on motors with over 100k? If anybody has the kit please share or if you have any knowledge of it.

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:25:13 AM »
I think he said that the kits are about the same cost.  The reason they O-ring the block is to that the cobustion chamber can withstand the higher pressure, and be able to last longer,  I don't know if it id necessary but I would highly recomend it just because if not you will prob blow head gaskets alot.  I bet you could install the kit on your engine but I would rebuild it soon after.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2005, 03:24:43 PM »
Thanks, sounds good. Will start saving.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2005, 09:38:50 PM »
I talked to Cary for a half hour on the phone and he is super nice. He was really busy and he still took the time to answer my questions. After talking to him I am more convinced that propane is the way to go. He talked about the turbo kit and that seems like a better option to me rather than spending tons of cash on a crate motor. You will have all the power you need, can use your stock motor and you will be the only one on the trail with a way cool propane and turbo setup. He installed the turbo kit on his 22r with I think 200,000 miles on it from what I remember him saying and has not had a problem.  He seems to really care about the customer and strives to provide a quality product. He gets my vote and will get my order when I get the cash.

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2005, 02:41:51 PM »
     Cary seems to be a pretty cool dude, the other day when I called him I talked to him for almost an hour and was really a big help and extremely knowlagable about the swap,  His turbo kits come with completely rebuilt T3/T4 turbos, and a 22rte exhaust manafold with an adapter to run that turbo.  I am in the process of saving money to do the swap and rebuild my engine at the same time.  Just trying to find a reliable machine shop that can do the work for the rebuild.

any one know of a good machine shop in souther Colorado?

Late
Joe

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:28:30 PM »
one of my friends is trying to sell a propain kit for a toyota i dunno what the specs are or the aplacation its for if any one is interested ill talk to him and get ya his #

propane

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:34:10 PM »
 :beerchug: Thanks for the kind words. It's important to me that everyone is a satisfied customer. Just like someone we all know :turtle:
I have to say that the turbos are just a t3 with just the right compressor and exhaust housing ratios.  For the price-we really try to include everything you will need to do this conversion. The right hoses, fittings,filters,custom made adapter, fuel pump blockoff,gaskets,brackets,etc....       i guarantee that nothing runs better than these kits. They have been tested for 7 years on my truck and by dozens of fellow whelers that take their trucks to the extreme. :eyebrow:
Just like everything else, they offer me the cheap taiwan knockoffs for less cash but I don't buy it because It's inferior quality and I want to be known for selling only the best.
Always feel free to ask me questions.
Cary
Killer propane kits for the extreme four wheeler.

www.gotpropane.com

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2005, 12:24:21 PM »
cary,

here is another pic of your rig from Habenero Falls - Ryan the picture taker with the Scout guys
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped