Author Topic: Propane Legality in CA-Anyone with experience??  (Read 2759 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Propane Legality in CA-Anyone with experience??
« on: Feb 04, 2005, 11:51:44 AM »
There have been a few threads on the board about propane setups, has anyone been running one of these and registered the vehicle in California?  Is it possible, what is the process/ what smog junk needs to be on the truck etc...Over on the pirate board there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus about the issue.   :dunno:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Check out Roger Browns site.  He converted his VW into propane and they wouldn't let it pass.  He had to sell it.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
kind of vague but?

Regulations and Standards: Compressed or Liquefied Gas and Liquified Petroleum Gas

2402.6.   (a) The commissioner may adopt and enforce regulations and standards with respect to fuel containers and fuel systems on vehicles using compressed or liquefied natural gas and liquefied petroleum gas used in conjunction with a propulsion system certified by the State Air Resources Board as producing as few or fewer emissions as a State Air Resources Board approved system using compressed or liquefied natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas and with respect to the operation of vehicles using any of those fuels to ensure the safety of the equipment and vehicles and of persons and property using the highways.

(b) The commissioner may also adopt and enforce regulations and standards with respect to fuel containers and fuel systems on vehicles using compressed or liquefied hydrogen gas or liquid fuels that generate hydrogen gas.

(c) All motor vehicles with compressed natural gas fuel systems used for propulsion shall comply either with the regulations adopted pursuant to subdivision (a) or with National Fire Protection Administration Standard NFPA 52, "Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Vehicular Fuel Systems" in effect at the time of manufacture, until standards for those fuel systems have been incorporated into the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards by the United States Department of Transportation. Whenever those Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards include requirements for gaseous fuel systems, all motor vehicles with gaseous fuel systems which are manufactured after the effective date of those requirements shall comply with those requirements.

(d) It is an infraction for any person to operate any motor vehicle in violation of any provision of a regulation adopted pursuant to this section.

(e) The operator of every facility for filling portable liquefied natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas containers having a capacity of four pounds or more but not more than 200 pounds of gas shall post in a conspicuous place the regulations applicable to that filling procedure.

Amended Ch. 1243, Stats. 1992. Effective September 30, 1992.
Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 610, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
Ok now were getting somewhere.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/afv/propane.html

propane / LPG vehicles
More than half a million vehicles are traveling the nation's highways using propane. Also known as LPG (or liquefied petroleum gas), propane has been used around the world in both light- and medium-duty since the 1920s.

In its natural state, propane is a gas. It turns to liquid under moderate pressure. When used in vehicles it is stored in special fuel tanks and pressurized at about 200 pounds per square inch. When liquid propane is drawn from the tank, it changes back to a gas before it is burned in the engine.

In California, most propane is produced during the petroleum refining process. In most of the country, however, propane is a by-product of natural gas production along with being a by-product of petroleum refining.

Propane is a clean fuel that offers a range closer to gasoline than other alternatives. One gallon of propane contains less energy than a gallon of gasoline (82,485 British thermal units [Btu] for propane, versus 115,400 Btu for gasoline.

Propane-powered vehicles emit about one-third less reactive organic gases than gasoline vehicles. Nitrogen oxides are reduced by about 20 percent. Carbon monoxide is reduced as much as 60 percent in an LPG-powered vehicle as compared to a gasoline model.

In California, there are thousands of locations (mostly at service stations) that sell propane. It is widely available in urban areas, and refueling facilities can be installed on-site for fleet use. It can also be found in rural areas, where propane is used for heating and cooking and where natural gas is not available.

Converting an automobile or light-duty truck from gasoline to propane costs about $1,000 to $2,000 and can usually be done in one day and must comply with safety standards set by the National Fire Protection Association. The conversion kits must be certified by the California Air Resources Board. (Contact CARB for its latest list of certified equipment and installers. (Please note that ARB only has a PDF file for 1994 through 1996 model years for certified equipment, and it's unknown if they will publish a newer list.)

Modifications for LPG typically include:

A heavy steel or high-strength fuel tank that is added to the trunk or truck bed

Fuel lock filter/shut-off valve

Vaporizer/regulator

Air/fuel mixer

Conversion kit parts are sometimes reusable. Dual-fuel gasoline/propane systems are also currently available.

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2005, 01:19:11 PM by Blucruz »
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
to much stuff to read what dose that say to a guy that has hit his head ok the rocks to many times
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
to much stuff to read what dose that say to a guy that has hit his head ok the rocks to many times

It can be done, If you want to spend the $$

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
I just spent the last hour pouring through Calis motor vehicle code and code of regulations...it seems the conversion will only be approved if done by aforementioned CARB certified installer.  Furthermore, said installer will only be allowed to register 85% of their vehicle conversions in any given year...blah blah blah, I'm tired of reading!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

fuglytruck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Nov '04
  • long walks with my truck=now thats love
    • View Profile
nice thread cteng        i  have headed u can smog it but yes it'll cost u bucks    which is why i dont care cuz im going to be just green stickering it anyways     which is what i think i said in ur pm i sent u    but good question
i just cut a guys 4x4 in half and he didnt even put up a fight.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17566
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
that sucks. i wanted to install it myself...having someone esle do it will cost bucks.
i guess it isn't worth the trouble anymore.

smog laws are the governments way of taxing air.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :usa: :turtle:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member