Author Topic: info on 79or 80 truck4x4 build up  (Read 2364 times)

crazymoritz97

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 298
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
info on 79or 80 truck4x4 build up
« on: Jan 18, 2005, 01:12:28 AM »
 :help: hey guys

I would like to know what have U done to your rigs I need I thoughts???

from moritz97
Chris g Moritz

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: info on 79or 80 truck4x4 build up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:58:47 PM »
I'd start by straightening out the front sheet metal first.....................
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyman2

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:08:21 PM »
we mine was a long box with a 20R and 4 sp
 so in short heres what i did
toy rears up front,mazdas in rear longer shackles and moved the hangers fowerd for ride,ford shock mounts in front,turned in in the rear,rs9012 all around (same lengh),square front d-line,5:29 and welded f&r,weber,header and 2 1/4 exhaust,bobed 18in off the back,shorten center 6in (24in totle),duel cases---- with a 4sp and duel cases  if you shorten your frame 6in you can use a stock 5sp short box rear d-line,york OBA,rollcage,2nd fuel cell (28 gal. totle for both)high stear x-over,vented rotors.1in MC,wide rear end  
ohh and a bunck of other stuff  that was just off the top of my head

86yota

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »
First thing I would do is weld the rear end, stuff some bigger tires on the stock rims, cut the fenders out, cut the rear panels behind the rear wheelwells off, get a fullsize spare, grab a hilift jack, a tow strap, a shovel, and some tools........and go wheeling.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »
you making a crack at our 1st gen's body style? :slap:

go wheel that thing and figure out what you need to improve on.  the possibilities are pretty much endless.

if you want to start dropping money on it, i'd spend it on lockers and longfields first, then suspension, tires and crossover steering.  lockers will get you farther with some cheesy tires than just having swampers alone will.  crossover steering is a must if you want to rock crawl it, as the stock toyota steering doesn't like much flex.  after that, you might want to consider dual cases, and possibly a new transmission as the L43 in '79 and '80 trucks is better as a boat anchor than a tranny.  i just put an L52 in my truck, all you really have to do is enlarge the shifter hole by about an inch or two to the left, otherwise its a mostly bolt in swap

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2005, 10:08:24 PM »
you making a crack at our 1st gen's body style? :slap:

go wheel that thing and figure out what you need to improve on.  the possibilities are pretty much endless.

if you want to start dropping money on it, i'd spend it on lockers and longfields first, then suspension, tires and crossover steering.  lockers will get you farther with some cheesy tires than just having swampers alone will.  crossover steering is a must if you want to rock crawl it, as the stock toyota steering doesn't like much flex.  after that, you might want to consider dual cases, and possibly a new transmission as the L43 in '79 and '80 trucks is better as a boat anchor than a tranny.  i just put an L52 in my truck, all you really have to do is enlarge the shifter hole by about an inch or two to the left, otherwise its a mostly bolt in swap

How dare you acuse me of cuttin on the 79-83 style, that's by far my favorite, that's why I DD an 80 4wd with over 500,000 miles on it, and have my old DD 81 2wd in the backyard awaiting a heart transplant.   What I was referring to is the body damage he incurred a little while back, might get in the way of bigger tires till he pulls it back out.  Now please never question my devotion to the best body style toyota ever made :smack: ,    Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:06:44 PM »
always glad to see another 1st gen lover :biggthumpup:

i could settle for another one or two, especially since my truck is out of comission until my carb is done being rebuilt at a shop

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:46:05 PM »
Come by sometime, i'll fill your head with so many ideas you won't be able to find your way home. :)

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »
always glad to see another 1st gen lover :biggthumpup:

i could settle for another one or two, especially since my truck is out of comission until my carb is done being rebuilt at a shop

I wish I had more of them too, I have a 91 2wd that gets atleast 25mpg, versus my 80s maybe 15mpg, yet I drive it maybe three days a month and pay out the rear for gas.  The 91 is super clean but not nearly as much fun to drive as the 4by, and nowhere near as fun as my old 2wd, though it is tighter, quieter, cleaner................Nate
RIP KYOTA