Author Topic: Cummins 4BT into 93 pickup  (Read 6722 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Cummins 4BT into 93 pickup
« on: Jun 30, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
So this is still a ways off, but I've been looking at options for when i finally start building up my truck... and i found some examples of people putting 4BT's in their trucks with some pretty cool results. Some of the selling facts are they are cheap and readily available. Just wanted to know if anybody has any suggestions or had tried something like this before... I know the cummins is heavy, but really reliable.

a vid i found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moUOeeH13Fs

any ideas?  :gap:
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins 4BT into 93 pickup
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
So you researched it, found a bunch of good info, and are now asking on here about exactly what you've already found out  :eek:
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010, 09:46:37 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
im sure there isnt as much info on rock crawlers with 4bt out there.
you have been on 4btswaps.com right?
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2010, 03:23:06 AM »
yeah, only difference is with the b4t he might not have to stretch it.... maybe.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
So you researched it, found a bunch of good info, and are now asking on here about exactly what you've already found out  :eek:

the thing is, i only found videos and people saying it can be done, no build stories or experiences... there's a long way between the start of a project and finishing. i wanna know the process and know if anyone has personal experience with this. this is part of my research.

im sure there isnt as much info on rock crawlers with 4bt out there.
you have been on 4btswaps.com right?

nice... i'll check it out.
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
I have been looking into doing a TDI conversion for a while. ACME sells an adaptor. I'm still researching but I think it will be a sweet set up.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
I wish jeep would have sold more Libertys with the diesels. Drove one once, seemed pretty stout for its displacement. Would have been great in a  first gen 4runner.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2010, 07:11:32 PM »
if nothing else check this out

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760359

that's a nice built Runner.  Mega mormon this should be your truck in a couple of years!  I dig the soot when it's punched!

drayday55

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2010, 11:32:46 PM »
dosent the jeep diesel have a bolt patern that will mate up withan ax15 trans?  if taht is the case we could use a r151 to bolt up to the jeep diesel!!!

DanGT86

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
The liberty diesel was a great idea I just wish they would have kept going with it. I think the 1/2 ton truck market could really use something like that. I have heard many reliability complaints about that particular motor and I think it would be a real pain to swap one into anything because of the heavy integration of the electronics in new vehicles. Some of the engine management stuff could be in the radio of the donor vehicle on something that new. The sprinter van is another cool one but is an electronic nightmare.

As for the 4BT It is a rock solid engine with crazy amounts of torque down low but I think it would be a bad fit for a 93 pickup. 
-It is very heavy
-It shakes a lot compared to other engines even other diesels.
-It is extremely tall from oil pan to valve covers. I cant see how it could be done without a solid axle in front and lots of lift like the truck in the  video.
-The monster torque down low is great but can also break lots of stuff. Stock 4BTs can make over 250lb/ft below 1500 rpm. 
-The power curve would not be optimal for the factory gearing of the truck. 4bt is past its peak by 2300rpm

These are my opinions based on my own research into diesel swaps for my 90 4x4 pickup, certainly not fact (not trying to start trouble with 4bt fans) Also anything is possible with lots of money and lots of welding. It all depends on what your goals are for the vehicle as a whole and how much you are looking to spend to get there.

I think the best swap candidates into a 93 are the VW 1.9 IDI or TDI, the Mercedes 5cyl, or if you have lots of money and like traking down parts from japan, the 1kzte (factory toyota diesel).
The mercedes is the cheapest and most cost effective around me.

Check out:
4BTswaps.com
ToyotaDieselmadness.com
Pirate4x4.com
toyotaDiesel.com

Sorry for writing an encyclopedia here. Diesel swaps are one of my favorite subjects.

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2010, 02:39:57 PM »
i have seen the 4bt swaped into jeeps and it fits pretty nicely..it would be pretty sick in a yota!!!!!
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa: