Author Topic: IROK'S VS. MTR'S  (Read 14484 times)

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
Re: IROK'S VS. MTR'S
« Reply #30 on: Sep 28, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »
here's my opinion I've run at's mtr's tsl's sx's and now the iroks performance of the iroks are the best but ware the worst thank god its not a dd or i would need another job i alos like  the tsl's but the iroks rule in the snow
it's not me, it's you

AWSUMDC

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 299
  • Member since Feb '06
  • 1 BIG TACO!
    • View Profile
    • ROCKSOLIDTOYS COM
« Reply #31 on: Oct 02, 2008, 07:16:33 AM »
I had MTR's on mine at first and they were good tires.  Then I switched to Iroks and they are great in the rocks and dirt and I even drive it on the freeway with them unbalanced.  I couldn't be happier with a set of tires.
MTR's

Iroks

Mtr's are 40" and the Iroks are 39.50. Both are on 17" rims.
Wyatt Scott "AWSUMDC"
"Linked, Locked, & Large"

WWW.ROCKSOLIDTOYS.COM

http://community.webshots.com/user/awsumdc

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2008, 07:24:10 AM »
ya i def dont want 17" rims.... im goin with the 39.5x13.5x15 iroks prolly
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

wflaw45

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
Goodyear MTR's suck in the mud.  They should be called RTR's (Rock Terrain instead of Mud Terrain)  Just my  2 :twocents:
good to know! i love crawlin in the rock but i do love to sling some mud at times and was looking at getting these when i complete my lift. looks like they or off the list

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
MTR'S SUCK!!!

well the sidewalls at least

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Oct 04, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
Ive never had Iroks, but I know a lot of people who swear by them. Last winter some buddy's and I went out wheelin, there was a steep muddy hill climb that I made it up in double low on my 38.5SX's, one of my buddies on his 37" MTR's got denied about 5 times,  :shake_head:  I told him I would give him a pull but he refused...  finally he hit it in 5th gear normal low with the skinny pedal to the floor about 5grand and he made it barely made it up... Almost hit 3 trees doing it to :rofl: The MTR's do well in rocks thoe,,, My next set of tires will either be 38.5 Bogger's or my SX's again....
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

notyourmomslx450

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 200
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2008, 01:09:34 PM »
I have both.  36" iroks bias ply and 37" MTRs.  If you're not running the streets go w/ bias ply IROKS.  the sidewalls consistently hold up better than my buddies' radials do. 
-Jason

"Daily Destroyer"-'94 xtra cab, solid axle, longs super set, 5.29s, detroits, dual ultimate, 37" MTRs, bobbed 12", Gulf Coast Crawl Shop bumpers, custom dents :eek:
"The Anchor"-'97 LX450, OME J-springs & L-shocks, spring spacers, wheel spacers, 35" Super Swamper SSRs, ARB, rack, it's just getting started

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 21, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
IROKS hands down.  Since I'm up in your neck of the woods and do a lot of the same wheeling that you do I can speak from experience that the IROKS are the best all around tire if you aren't driving on the street.  I was just down at browns camp a couple weeks ago and it was raining the whole time there.  MUD MUD and MORE MUD.  Needless to say that even when it was freakin slick the iroks hooked up still and did awesome.  Now in the snow I don't think I have ever seen a tire do as good for a multi use tire.  All of the snow wheelers where i live swear by the Gumbo Radials but after a few guys have gotten the iroks most of them are now switching over to the iroks.  To compare in the snow, my buddy had some 35 MTR's and he could not keep up with the iroks.  Also in the rock, my experience with iroks rates up there with my red label sticky Krawlers.  They are the closest I've had traction wise in the rocks for a DOT tire.

Its just my 2 cents but I thought i'd through it in there.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 21, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Oh yeah and go with bias ply.  They still air down awesome for the snow.

TIMS89CRAWLER [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »
Old MTRs - yeah they sucked in snow and ice.  New ones.. better.  But they really are Baja tires - sand and dirt and rocks IMO more than true mud and snow tires.
thats cool and all but I am pretty much looking for input from people who have had both sets....
i drove my iroks for a few weeks here in the winter and was suprised how well they hooked up compared to the MTRs. i was driving on pakced snow and ice and never once felt out of control or even slipped a tire much
thanks man thats good to know too because my truck will see lots of snow and ice... I am pretty much set on the iroks anyway...thx
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »
I liked my iroks but they came apart at 8000 miles and 50% of the tread left and 4wheel parts wouldn't warranty them because they still held air.But you can air them down to nothing.

YotaDave

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Nov '07
  • 85' 4Runner on 36's
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 10, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
I have had both and prefer the Iroks over the MTR hands down. Don't get me wrong the MTR is a great tire, but after using both I would get the Iroks over the MTR's. The Iroks beat some ass in the rocks and mud, and they blew me away in the snow :bowdown:.
I can ride my bike with no handlebars

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 11, 2008, 05:11:50 PM »
thats cool and all but I am pretty much looking for input from people who have had both sets

No problem :)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get the Dueler MT instead of the BFG, but then again, I live in So Cal, so it's all rocks and sand and dirt out here, which is what both tires are made for.  Mud and water/ice?  Heh.  Not so good.  My point was to point out that maybe they need to make a new category/rename the MTs over at BFG.  Baja Terrain or Desert Terrain would be a much more accurate description.