Author Topic: spacers vs. new wheels with better offset you tell me  (Read 3158 times)

DFWFO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
spacers vs. new wheels with better offset you tell me
« on: Sep 17, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Like most people, I dont have alot of money to dump into my toys. I need to widen my stance really bad, my wheels do not have the right offset and need to be changed. But thats not an option right now. Spending $120 on 2-3in spacers my be what i need to do, or is it wasted money. Or should i run both eventually?
All Im lacking is a flux capacitor and the ability to hit 88.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
depends on what you want.... i prefer steel wheels myself, and if you know how to shop around and haggle, you can get brand new steel wheels (yup all 4) for $120

are you looking for spacers in the front only or the rear as well?

if doing any spacers, get the ones with their own studs and nuts, the slip on ones are retarded.... in a 2-3" though, i am sure all you can get is the onews with studs and lug nuts though...

i would never run the slip on ones on anything... they are deathtraps
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
what flavor truck do ya have??

if its a first gen  get the later 86 up rear axle  and 1 1/2 inch spacers for the front
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
ok, i see from your profile you have a 85 4runner

SO  find a rear axle from a 86 or newer 4runner or truck, and put it under the rear of your runner, (newer axles are 3 inches wider) then these spacers for the front

click this link to buy them http://www.frontpagecart.com/app/netcart.asp?MerchantID=58912&ProductID=2088118
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DFWFO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Man there was one on craigslist the other day for like $100 of a 87, man i missed out!!!! Thanks for that info though, so spacers are durable enough?

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
the spacers pictured are fine, it's jsut anotehr set of lugnuts you gotta torque
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DFWFO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
1.5 inch dosent seem like much though. wouldnt it be the wider the better? Newer rear axle with 1.5in rear spacer and 3in front?

DFWFO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
does the newer axles bolt right up? and are the gears the same?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
1.5 inch dosent seem like much though. wouldnt it be the wider the better? Newer rear axle with 1.5in rear spacer and 3in front?
what backspacing do you have on your wheels?? 

yes the  later model axle  will bolt right in,  with a u bolt flip kit

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
I'm running a 1" spacer (front and rear) on my '05 tacoma, 'cause I'm too cheap and lazy to get new rims. Had to have it aligned, and the guy told me it was a PITA with the spacers on. Now, I'm not exactly sure how it changes stuff, but just a consideration.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I'm running a 1" spacer (front and rear) on my '05 tacoma, 'cause I'm too cheap and lazy to get new rims. Had to have it aligned, and the guy told me it was a PITA with the spacers on. Now, I'm not exactly sure how it changes stuff, but just a consideration.

Erik
it doesnt change anything, im sure he  just couldnt process that info  into his little brain