Author Topic: Thinking of building up a little...  (Read 3148 times)

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Thinking of building up a little...
« on: Jul 14, 2008, 10:23:38 PM »
So I have a 1998 4runner Limited with an automatic tranny (currently slipping) and a TRD e-locker factory installed. Right now it's sitting on some BFG Mud Terrains that are just about dead, lasted I want to say 8 years though. The truck has a lot of body roll and sway due to bad shocks and the tires, I'm also guessing the steering rack bushings could be needing a replacement, the 4runner has had 150k and has been in the dirt since day 1. It's been used pretty hard it's entire life, but maintained by the dealership, then I got it and have been doing the work.

The suspension needs replacement. I have had friends with SAS'ed trucks and really envied their rigs, I would love to do the swap right now, but I just can't afford to pay someone else to work on my rig and my welding experience is low. So I have thought of a few, but really can't decide! I would like to fit 35"s but would be fine with a flexy setup and 33"s. What are the 3rd gen guys running with success?

Body-wise, it's beat...it has a flat green primer job that I started then realized I hated and will be repainting it soon. It has wheeling marks on all sides. It needs bumpers. Bentup fab makes a nice looking rear bumper, and I haven't decided if I like the AllPro front bumper or not. I'd look into getting a winch mount bumper and buying a winch a bit later. AllPro also makes sliders for it, but then again so does MC.

The motor needs valve cover gaskets, but it has a recent tuneup and the timing chain was done 40k ago. It has a flowmaster 50 series and I have a new high flow cat for it. I need to chop off my tail section and add a turn-down or tuck my tail section closer. The transmission will be rebuilt, and if the transfer case needs work I might wait and save up for dual t's. Say what you will, but I've wheeled a 5 speed 2nd gen 4runner and this automatic 4runner and I prefer having the auto. My girlfriend knows how to drive manual well, but prefers driving an auto offroad and she gets time behind the wheel, so it's a consideration.

But yeah, please give me some advice! I don't have a whole lot of money right now, but I think all this should take about 3,500-4,000 or even more realistically, but it's all stuff I can do myself.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of building up a little...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »
SAS it... source your own parts, and do most of the locating of stuff on your own... if your welding isnt up to snuff, jsut have someone hwo knows what they are doing do the welding.... but have it all setup for them to weld... to keep it cheap.....

you've been around long enough, you should already know all of this... :rolleyes:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Darrin530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '07
  • fish on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2008, 11:20:14 PM »
sounds sweet.throw in some old man emu coils and run 285/75s. i heard those auto trannies are pricey to rebuild....(cough cough 5 speed)
3RD Gen 4runner 5VZ-FE R150f

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2008, 12:34:53 AM »
I know a lot of this but my head has been filled with turbos and lap times, a lot of the toyota stuff got lost in the mix, lol.

Plus, 4runner SAS is kinda tricky for a 3rd gen. I would HAVE to get dual cases or use a narrowed Chevy axle (no way I'd do that, gotta keep it Toyota). It gets a lot more expensive this way. I might look into it, but it'd take way longer. Does anyone know what sorta man hours go into welding a SAS?
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:46:27 AM »
holy crap, you're still around?  :hahaha:

couple hours for all the welding and prep you'll have to do.  several to torch off all the IFS and clean it up.  Why would you HAVE to go duals to do a SAS?  Also, have you considered a diamond axle?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
I probably spent at least 100 hours on my SAS FWIW
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »
holy crap, you're still around?  :hahaha:

couple hours for all the welding and prep you'll have to do.  several to torch off all the IFS and clean it up.  Why would you HAVE to go duals to do a SAS?  Also, have you considered a diamond axle?

Diamond is the way to go, take a look at BigMikes in his newest build thread he just posted his axle.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
I probably spent at least 100 hours on my SAS FWIW

I'm stricly speaking about the welding aspect, not the whole process.  Hell, I'm about 2 years into mine! :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
OMG  you again??  i'm assuming this was your Mom's pristine 4runner  you showed us  a  few months ago,  now its a worn out shell??  big surprise

i for see  this 4runner in the garage with the front end chopped out  and a  big for sale sign on it  :shake:

just tell your dad you... ... ...

oh im shuttin up :lipsrsealed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way