Author Topic: LCE Header... and then?? Header install how-to, pg 7, 12/27/07  (Read 48213 times)

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
flexi pipe makes a great in cab roll cage,be sure to wrap with muffler bandage,for that finishing touch

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, here is a short write up of my header install, the pics got kind of half :moon: towards the end.

Here is the picture of the header and test pipe I posted earlier

Pic of stock manifold, bolts already sprayed 3 times with rust penetrating fluid

Removed manifold. To do this, unbolt the manifold from the rest of the exhaust system, not at the 3 bolt flange, but the next in line after that. Then unbolt from engine, and it is off!

Another picture of engine w/o manifold. To remove manifold + pipe, you pull up through the top, not drop down through the bottom.

Here is a comparison shot of my old exhaust gasket (top) vs. the new one (bottom, comes with the header). To put the gasket on, don't force it, and keep it level across the gasket to avoid tearing it. If you do tear it, you should probably get a new one.

Here are the block off plates that need to be transfered onto the LCE header from the stock manifold. The metal pieces are the plates after having the gaskets and carbon buildup scraped off. The new gaskets that come with the kit are on the right, old ones on the left.

The block off plates need to be modified to clear the welds on the header tubes. If you don't do this, the plates wont seal correctly, and that is bad. I did this with a bench grinder. I also cut the gaskets to the same shape as the block off plates, because it looked nicer. It probably is not necessary though. I was going to paint the plates to match the header, but ran out of time.

I then bolted the plates onto the header, using the bolts off of the old manifold. The header has threaded holes that those bolt on to. Then I unbolted the heat shield that shields a hydraulic line on the frame, because it gets in the way of the header (more on this later). I then put the header onto the studs (don't forget the gasket), and hand tightened the nuts onto the studs. The nuts are then torqued to 33 ft-lbs, if I remember correctly. I tightened them down in a crisscross pattern.

Here is just another pic of the header

Here is a photo of the O2 sensor. I installed the studs (came with header) before bolting the pipe onto the 3 bolt flange. I then installed the O2 sensor with the supplied gasket. I did not torque it down real hard, just tight enough that it wont come loose.

I then installed the supplied O2 wire extension kit. I cut the wire between the plug and the computer like the instructions say. I connected the extension wire onto the plug end, then plugged it into the O2 sensor plug. I did not use the butt connectors provided, but instead soldered the wire on with shrink wrap over it. I did this because the O2 sensor only sends a maximum of a 1 volt self-generated signal, and I believe that the soldered connection doesn't have as much resistance as the butt connectors, and is less likely to corrode, which would provide a poor signal to the computer. I then routed the wire under a heat shield to protect the plug in, and then ran the wire along the frame, up to the computer. (The first picture shows where the wire and plug went under the heat shield. The second photo shows a picture of the other side of the heat shield. The black wire coming out is the extension. Doing this also routes the wire away from the heat of the header)

Once I routed the wire up to the computer, I used zip ties to secure it in place. I then cut the excess off of the wire, and soldered it onto the computer wire. I left a little bit of the wire, because I wanted some slack in the system. The heat shrink can barely be seen under the coil.

The last thing I took took pictures of was the installed heat shield that I modified. The heat shield originally mounts with two bolts. Once the header is on, you can not reach the further back of the two bolts. Most people probably just leave it off and don't worry about it. I wanted it to keep heat off the the hydraulic line that the shield was originally shielding, because if it was there, it was there for a reason. First I cut off the back of the shield. I then bent it with a 3 lb sledge until it fit w/o interfering with the header. I also had to bend the line over a little bit. Here are pics of the shield installed.

And that was all I had to do, besides bolting on the test pipe. In the end, it took a lot longer than I had expected, but this was my first header install on an efi vehicle, and the first on a toyota. I am very happy with the results. I got improved throttle response, and I no longer have to down shift on big hills like I used to. I am also impressed with the quality of the header. It was made well, and the coating seems pretty durable, and should last a long time. The kit also came with every thing I needed to complete the install. I had to make zero trips to the parts store. If I left anything out, please reply to the post and say what I left out. I also got an exhaust system made, but I am not very impressed with it. The shop ended up putting on a flowmaster 50 series (2.25 size), which made it sound kind of tin-y and hollow, but it is not very loud, which was my primary concern.. They did not have any 60 series (which I wanted), so I guess I will just have to live with it. Pics of that will have to come later, it is below zero outside, and dark, so no pics. Again, please comment, and add  in anything I left out.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Again, please comment, and add  in anything I left out.
you forgot beer! necessary for any modification :beer:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
you forgot beer! necessary for any modification :beer:

That all got used up on my super ghetto muffler fix. Read back a page or two. :laugh:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
That all got used up on my super ghetto muffler fix. Read back a page or two. :laugh:

oh ya! i fergot about that :doh:

{skimming back a few pages}

Cheers!
:beerchug:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink

get more :slap:

nice write up bud.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
thats a nice header but the flex tube looked 100% better lol :rofl2:
i just put a downey header on my rig 2 1/2 all the way back with magnaflow exaust not loud and thank god it does not sound like a rice rocket :thumbs: :beerchug:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
nice write up bud.

Thanks, I was bored and had a bunch of pictures, so I figured why not.

thats a nice header but the flex tube looked 100% better lol :rofl2:
i just put a downey header on my rig 2 1/2 all the way back with magnaflow exaust not loud and thank god it does not sound like a rice rocket :thumbs: :beerchug:

I went with 2.25 back to a flowmaster 50 series because the guy was like, we don't have 60 series, and a magnaflow sucks if you don't have a cat. So I said whatever. It sounds like my kdx (200cc 2-stroke) now. It doesn't sound as meaty though, it sounds kind of hollow. But it works. I might try putting different mufflers on there during summer, but I don't want to mess with it right now.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Thanks, I was bored and had a bunch of pictures, so I figured why not.

I went with 2.25 back to a flowmaster 50 series because the guy was like, we don't have 60 series, and a magnaflow sucks if you don't have a cat. So I said whatever. It sounds like my kdx (200cc 2-stroke) now. It doesn't sound as meaty though, it sounds kind of hollow. But it works. I might try putting different mufflers on there during summer, but I don't want to mess with it right now.

yeah i hear ya.. photos means writeup!

haha i cant wait to sick my cat on and muffler :cheese:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
i've got a pacesetter header(not exactly my favorite choice) a flow master 40 series and 2 1/4 all the way back with a 2 1/2 inch tip..... pretty loud id say!! Nice write up!!!!! i'd like to get that LCE header and efi kit they sell....
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
you got lucky   i had 2 cut the ends off my down pipe  flip it and realine      it was way off
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
i've got a pacesetter header(not exactly my favorite choice) a flow master 40 series and 2 1/4 all the way back with a 2 1/2 inch tip..... pretty loud id say!! Nice write up!!!!! i'd like to get that LCE header and efi kit they sell....

Thanks for the compliment on the write up! The efi kit is expensive, and I don't think a throttle body is a worth while investment for these engines, but it all looks like quality stuff.

you got lucky   i had 2 cut the ends off my down pipe  flip it and realine      it was way off

Ya lost me. Are you talking about the three bolt flange? Or the flange on the engine? I did not have a problem at all, it was very high quality.

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
The pipe after the header  one one with the O2 sensor   I have the 22" pipe  it came out hitting the T-bar mount / O2 sensor was hitting the heat shield.

I  got the whole LC kit head 2 chrome tip     i was not impressed with  the fitment  for the price.  Had 2 do a bunch of welding   wish i had pics 2 share
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
O and the paint on the pipes scratchs so fing easy  my header looks like it's been draged on the ground for 50 miles   just puting it in.

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
lol, that sux especially for those prices!!
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Wierd, unclejpl4x4. I have not scratched the paint yet. But time will tell how well it holds up.

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Its ceramic coating, much different.  BTW, dont weld next to it.  lol.  Mine fit perrrrrrfect.  Very happy with it.  By far the best quality header I have ever seen.   

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Yes I know it is a ceramic coating, I was just calling it what unclejpl4x4 called it, for simplicity of terms. I am very happy with mine as well, it is very high quality, I would not get rid of it unless someone gave me as much money as I paid for it or more.

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I know, I wasnt trying to be a smarta$$...sorry.  I'm glad to see that you went with the flowmaster instead of the magnaflow.

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
LC useds magnaflow     my cat and muff are

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
My cat from them is too, though I plan on taking it out when its not being smogged. 

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
i like magna :wiggle:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
My ceramic coated LC looks just as good now as the day i put it in.  minus the baked on mud of course. :gap:
I like to Drive!

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
ive got a magnaflow muffler, and hi flow cat they are great, i also had a magnaflow on my old truck it was on there when i bought it and i had it for 3 years, sounded great and never had a problem
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!