Author Topic: help on build (79 toy)  (Read 2703 times)

konatoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
help on build (79 toy)
« on: May 21, 2004, 02:41:44 AM »
I got a 79 short bed pick up, i am rebuilding this whole truck, i am swapin a cab, getin wheels, suspension, and some lower gears, and some other goddies. But i dont know all that much about the gears, and suspension, so i need some help. I wanna set it up with real flexable suspension, and lower gearing, those are my prioritys. i mostlly go crawling, and sometimes mud bogging. so baisically an all around suspesnion (kinda soft though, i like the soft rides). i also need a bumper/ winch setup, but money is still a priority, because i am still in highschool. But it would be kool if you guys could help me out a little bit, i am still learing.  Thx

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: help on build (79 toy)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 02:28:36 PM »
if i've learned anything, it's how to weld.  learn how to weld good and you won't have to pay other people to do stuff for ya :thumbs:

try and keep your center of gravity low, i wouldn't go over 5" on lift springs no matter how big of tires i wanted to fit. i have a '79 like yours(well, mine's a longbed) and 33s should fit well with maybe an inch or two of suspension lift, or you can just chop at the fenders with a sawzall.  the general consensus is that you'll want to get 4.88 axle gears installed if you run 33s and 5.29 gears if you go up to 35s.  that's about the single most expensive part of the build.  there's also the option of installing dual transfer cases, or regearing your current one, or both.  the price is about the same but with duals you get a better driveline angle in the front and more gear options(hi range, regular low range, double low range).  spring-wise, mixing and matching junkyard leaves is a pretty good way to do it, and dirt cheap.

GRM

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 10:45:03 PM »
Ahh, I remember doing a project like that in highschool. My 77 Power Wagon. It still sits in the garage half torn apart  :(.

Anyway, it sounds like you are just building a multi putpose truck, that will be alittle good at everything, and not specialized at any one thing.

Honesty, by best piece of advice is to drive the truck and see what you dont like. It probabally wont take long to see how the truck works well in one area, and is worthless in another. Honestly, what works for me, may not work well for you.

As far as a cheap suspension, its hard to go wrong with the rear sup front/chevys combo. Although, I did the math on how much it cost to put mine together, and it is close to 1k installed. Sure its alot, but for how I use my truck, its perfect. (Lots of time on trails int he sierra nevada's, Hollister hills, highway time drivign to and from, and still being able to go to the lumber yard and load it up. )

If you want me to go over every step of my build, I can, but I think it would be better for you to learn on your own.

konatoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 10:58:11 PM »
I want suspension mainlly for rock crawling, and i will be going all out sometimes, so not really a multi prupose truck. MAinlly i want soft flexable suspension, if that is good for crawling. The suspensio on it now, is way too stiff, it might already got a lift, cause theres 31s on it, but theres so much space from the tire, to the fender.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 08:11:42 PM »
mine is a 79 stock hight its got 31in tires and i have fit 33in with no rubbing exept on springs i have 7 1/4 in inbetween rear tire and fender and 8 in between front tire and finder with 31 in tires and look at my avatar who ses stock suspention doesnt flex with stock suspention and lockers you could go just about any where, good luck and post some pics of it :.order:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 08:14:49 PM by yotaboy79 »