Poll

Both of my vehicles are broke and I do not have the money to fix either right now.  I need wheels to get back and forth to work.  What should I borrow the money for????

Fix big blue worst case $1600.00.
1 (25%)
Buy an economy car.
1 (25%)
buy an economy car and part out big blue to fix lil blue.
1 (25%)
buy an economy car and part out both blues
1 (25%)
buy an economy car and fix both blues.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: lil blue and big blue  (Read 18679 times)

sinbob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
Re: lil blue and big blue
« Reply #60 on: Oct 17, 2007, 09:33:14 AM »
Ok, I pulled everthg off last night and removed the head too.

It smelled really bad of burndt oil...and I mean really bad.

I drained the oil, antifreeze and water from the pan.  But, I did wash the engine saturday and some of the water may have gotten into the pan from there although the antifreeze didn't I would think.

Number 3 cylinder on the head is pitted like an old bomb drop area.....
So my questions is.....does this mean that the head is toast??????

There was about an inch of water in the number 3 cyl.
There was also alot of crud on the top of the pistons, although the cyl walls felt ok.

Tonight I will open the bottem end and check it out.  
What should I be looking for?
Should I pull the bearings and check them?
Anything else I should be checking for????

any and all help is appreciated :help:
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:12:18 AM »
Ok, got the motor completely torn down to just the block.

As I said the head looked ok except for the #3 cylinder which was pitted.  Talked to Dave at the machine shope and he said that just means there was water in the cylinder.

Got the pressure washer out and cleaned everything on Saturday morning before i went golfing.

The crank in this moter looks and feels alot better than mine does.
Whereas the head, cam and pistons from my cracked block looks alot better than this one does.

So, I have one block and two of everything else.  I have a couple of sealable plastik carriers that I am using to keep all the parts from both engines seperated.  Also went to dollar tree and got some sealable bags and a permanent marker to put bolts and small parts in. 

Dave at the machine shop says that they weld aluminum so I will give them a chance to fix the bell housing.  He also said that if they can't weld it, it should not be hard to find a cheap replacedment.

So here is my to do list:

* Check xsmn and xfer for damage.....................done
* Get heads pressure tested
* Have block magnafluxed.
* Rebuild head and engine.
* Reinstall engine in vehicle.
* Replace steering column.
* Build Frame/body jackstands...........................done
* Find spring wedge and bolt..............................done
* Change rear springs.
* Change front springs.
* Install rear xfer output flange.
* Install rear drive shaft.
* Clean and paint engine compartment.
* Install viair compressor and tank.
* Rewire and reroute the ARB.
* Cut and reweld the rear center shock mount...........done
* redo the exhaust.
* Install driving lights
* Install rock lights
* Fab halfdoors.
* Install CB.
* Install tunes.
* Fab new inside door covers.
* Finish exocage.
* Install new radiator with electric fans.
* Fab new grill.
* Install winch.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 08:47:22 AM by sinbob »
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Oct 22, 2007, 10:32:15 AM »
Sounds like it's gonna work out then :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Nov 02, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
Went wheelin in big blue and really did some damage...oh well that is why it is a 4x4 right.

Anyway here is the right rear quarter panel and door :thumbs:
:flamer:
Here you can see the right front light broke and hanging down.  The winch soliniod pack bracket is also broken off.  :_oops:

Also along with that damage I dented the pumpkin on the rear axel, plus shattered the yoke and universal joint.  :dancing: 

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #64 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:33:10 AM »
how'd you accomplish all that sinbob?

oh by the way are you still looking for a tranny bellhousing?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:43:44 PM »
hey red, yeah well when u get between a rock and a hard spot.  It looked like it was just metal fatigue.  sheared both heads off of the u-joint and broke the yoke in 3 pieces.   :_order:
So then I get to ride my bike to work this week....probly lost 10 lbs.....gonna have to drink an lot of  :beer: to get that back.

Yeah I still need a tranny bellhousing....machine shop is gonna see if they can weld it first. 
Lack of funds has kept me from fixin big blue and workin on lil blue.  Goin to pnp or pap sat to get the yoke should be plenty there. 

have a good weekend wheelin I gotta fix my :pokinit: :rivers:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #66 on: Nov 02, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »
if you need a bellhousing let me know, still have my old w56b tranny sittin around.

USAF EOD tech

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Nov 04, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
ok how much u want to ship it to 93726.

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Nov 07, 2007, 02:44:30 PM »
Ok guys and gals I need some help here on this survey of what I should do about wheels for work.  I rode my bike a couple of days and can continue that as long as the weather is good.  Family has also been helping me.  So take the poll and let me know ur what u think.

70 Cam Guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:19:12 PM »
If you're commute is within bicycling distance you probably aren't worried about gas mileage but I just filled up here for 3.37 for regular and it's going to get worse before it gets better I think.

If you're worried about the mpg, pick up an old toyota/honda for cheap and park the big truck for a while.  Finish up the Toyota and run it.  If you think you like the Toyota more than the Ford, then part out the Ford.  If you still like them both, fix them up as funds permit.

If you're not worried about mpg, fix the one you need as a DD.  Then fix the other as funds permit

My friend has an 88 civic hatch with the dual point FI (essentially TBI) and that thing gets 30-35 mpg all day long. 

Remember another econobox will be another vehicle on your insurance policy too if that makes a difference.
 :beerchug:

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:35:27 AM »
yeah i only live nine miles by the freeway from work.  It usually takes 10 - 15 mins drive so mpg is not an issue.  It takes me 45 min by bicycle though because I have to go through town.

Ok, I pulled the cover off of the diff on big blue last night and there wasn't very much damage.  I  couldn't see the pinion behind the carrier but it didn't look damaged.  The only damage I could see was some scratches on the carrier housing and there was some metals chips in the bottem of the diff housing.
So after talkiing to the shop I decided to have it towed over there this morning. 
I just got a call from the shop and they told me it all looked ok and the damage to the carrier housing wasn't a problem.  So they are gonna have the driveline rebalanced, new u-joints put in and I should have it back tomorrow after work.....I hope...and everything for under $500 bucks.
Man it is about time I got some good news...I was beginning to think I was jinxed

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #71 on: Nov 08, 2007, 11:51:23 AM »
sorry about takin so long to get back to you about the bellhousing, looks like the tranny is sold (deal pending)

USAF EOD tech

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Nov 08, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »
np thanks for the offer though take care

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Nov 15, 2007, 07:34:13 AM »
Damage report on big blue.

1.  Yoke split into 3 pieces. 
2.  Sheared off universal joint both heads
3.  Drave shaft head smashed.
4.  Gouges on the carrier when the pinion slipped back into it.

They think it happened because the drive shaft was damaged, became out of balanced which caused it to vibrate apart.

Towing................................................................$45.00
New drive shaft with universal joints and head...........$150.00
New axel yoke and seal.........................................$102.00
Check carrier and pinion and remount........................$350.00

So as u can see I decided to get big blue fixed and forgo the extra car payments for now.

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
So I have a new update.

Found a complete running engine for lil blue........there is a Santa Clause
I am supposed to pick it up this sat.....it is still in the truck but no problem.
Just as soon as I get some pics i will post them up.
Guess this means I need to get off of my a** and get to work fixin everything on my list to get lil blue back on the road.......man I can't wait.

rebelKrawler83

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Git Er Dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Nov 29, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »
wat kinda dogs are those man i think my dog is the same one that i just got idk wat it is ???
[><]YOTERBOY[><] WHEN IN DOUBT THROTTLE OUT
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38804.0