Poll

Both of my vehicles are broke and I do not have the money to fix either right now.  I need wheels to get back and forth to work.  What should I borrow the money for????

Fix big blue worst case $1600.00.
1 (25%)
Buy an economy car.
1 (25%)
buy an economy car and part out big blue to fix lil blue.
1 (25%)
buy an economy car and part out both blues
1 (25%)
buy an economy car and fix both blues.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: lil blue and big blue  (Read 18400 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: lil blue and big blue
« Reply #30 on: Oct 10, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »
if CJ   recommended them  you can  assume they are the best in town

:rivers:  i'm sure  Nitro and Buddy  are  chasing  each other thru a creek somewhere,  Nitro loved  to play in the water,  so much  you would think he was a  Lab.    He had his own little swimming pool  :rivers:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »
 :rivers: Thank you Glen....it is nice to know that Buddy will have another Buddy (Nitro) to play in the creeks and run the woods with.   :rivers:
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

CADD MAN

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »
sorry to hear about your dog sinbob, I can relate my dog I have had for 13 years had to be put down yesterday broke my heart to have to do it  :rivers: . The only comfort I take is that shes in a better place now.  I can totally relale to the coming home and expect to see them there to greet you, it sucks when you realize they aren't though.  Anyways just though I would say that your not alone.

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »
Thank you CADD MAN...I am very sorry to hear about your loss...:rivers:
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2007, 09:38:45 AM by sinbob »
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 10, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
Ok here are some pics of how it looks now before I start tearing it apart to rebuild the motor.

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #35 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:49:03 PM »
Yep its definitely blue
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 12, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
Yep its definitely blue

So u likey my walmart 6 dollar paint job GI  :acclaim:

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 12, 2007, 08:04:05 AM »
Got some great news yesterday.  I talked to Dave Hiatt machine shop and he understood exactly where I was at.  They do alot of work with first timers and expalined the whole process to me.  Where I could save money by using old parts and where I shouldn't use old parts. 

He told me to tear it all down, clean all the parts very well and then bring them to his shop.
They would check every thing out and identify the parts that were still usable.
Those that needed to be replaced and provide new ones.
Those that could be machined and reused.

Possible New Parts:

pistons
rings
rod brgs
main brgs
thrust brgs
soft plugs
gear & chain set
gaskets
oil pump
pin bushings

Possible Work:

clean and Magnaflux block
bore and hone
surface block
install softplugs
recondition rods
rebush rods
grind crank
valve job
pressure test head
surface head

So all of this is gonna cost $975.00 if all of the above has to done.  Less if some thing sdon't have to be done.

So  my question to all of you who have rebuilt motors before is:  Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you all in advance for your input.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 09:07:09 AM by sinbob »

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #38 on: Oct 12, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
 Thats not bad as long as the place is trustworthy and they use quality parts

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #39 on: Oct 12, 2007, 08:35:25 AM »
Sorry about the dog man, I had to put my Pit Bull Barney to sleep cause he had brain cancer. He wasnt a great spotter either, he would just crap on the seat

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Oct 12, 2007, 09:14:31 AM »
Sorry to hear of your loss Rob-O.  :rivers:  I am finding that there are a lot of us that have lost very dear friends and companions.

In referance to it being a good shop.  CJ at Marlin said this was the best in the area.  I mean I am a cherry when it comes to engine rebuilding.  Hell I don't even have enough knowledge to be able to ask an intelligent question.  Dave walked me through the whole process and explained everything in detail to me.  He didn't act like it was an annoyance for him, but took the patience and time out of his very taxing day to teach another poor ignorant soul the ins and outs of the engine rebuilding machine shop process. 
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 11:04:31 AM by sinbob »

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:10:01 AM »
So here is the damage I did to my block. 
You will notice the spilt  all of the way through.

On the other side of the block you can see how it also split.

here you can see how the mounting bolt hole broke completely off.

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2007, 09:17:11 AM by sinbob »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:30:35 AM »
you dropped it didnt you  :spankbutt:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #43 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »
Or a real bad case of metal fatigue

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:52:07 AM »
Here is the support bracket from the passenger side of the motor.  It is broken into three parts.  The bracket from the drivers sides is completely gone.

This piece is the drivers side bolt hole from the xmsn bell housing.

This is where it broke off of the bell housing.

I also broke the exhaust pipe in three different pieces.
1.  Where the two turn into one just under the connection in the above pic.
2.  In front of the muffler.
3.  behind the muffler.

The xfer output flange to the rear driveshaft also stripped out.
The nut holding the flange, which was staked, backed out and was also stripped.

At first I thought that the motor mount was broke and then the supporting brackets broke and then chain reaction.  But the motor mounts were OK.
Anybody have any ideas????
Anything I should check for????
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2007, 11:15:00 AM by sinbob »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »
:headscratch:

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Oct 15, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I haven't checked the xsmn, xfer or rear third for damage.

the truck rolls ok without any noise coming from the axels, but how do i check the xfer and xsmn for damage without having to pull them and crack them open?????

any :help: would be appreciated seeing as I am new to all of this.
this is the frist motor i have tore down in over 30 years.   it would be fun except for the cost of repairing it all :yikes:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #47 on: Oct 15, 2007, 12:30:40 PM »
make sure the tranny rows through all the gears just fine, and that the t-case goes into all the ranges ok. drain the fluids and look for metal shavings.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Oct 15, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
OK, Thanks red :duh: shoulda thought of that myself

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:08:47 PM »
haha dont worry we all have those moments.

USAF EOD tech

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:12:03 PM »
thats sad...almost made me cry.....ALMOST
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
Yeah, but it scares me that the older I get the more of them I get :yikes:
I thought we were supposed to get wisdom with age  :kickbutt:
all i get is  :toiletwait:
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2007, 02:46:27 PM by sinbob »

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »
Finally got my doner engine cleaned.  norcalyota gave me a sweet deal (I think) for it.  It came out of an 85 4 runner that he bought for parts.  Said he drove it around a little before he noticed water in the oil.  I checked the oil and it isn't tooo bad.

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »
I need some input on what I should do on this engine.

1.  I am driving big blue as my DD.
2.  Limited funding.
3.  Do I just replace the head gasket, puter in and drive it?
4.  Do I do the engine kit that I described above for about $900.00?
5.  Or do something inbetween??

Remember I am new at this!!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2007, 08:54:16 AM by sinbob »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2007, 08:43:16 AM »
pullthe head  and inspect the cylinders and  see what shape the pistons are inthen  pull the pan  and  see if anything wiggles

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
x2. if everything checks out in the donor motor then i'd look into possibly a timing chain (if it looks worn) and a head gasket.

USAF EOD tech

sinbob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »
Okay, so ur opinion (Glen and Red) is that I should change the HG and possibly the timing chain and if the bottom end isn't loose put it in and run it. 

I have heard people talk of steel guides vs plastic should this also be done??????

Oh and TY for the input it is appreciated

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Oct 17, 2007, 09:21:22 AM »
what year motor??   if its a 80-84  go get a 20R timing kit,  bolts right up  and had  the dual row  and is cheap

norcalyoter

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 516
  • Member since Jul '04
  • why be a rockstar when you can be a rock star
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Oct 17, 2007, 09:25:24 AM »
its an 85 it has efi on it glen :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Oct 17, 2007, 09:29:44 AM »
its an 85 it has efi on it glen :beerchug:
OH  :headshake: