Author Topic: steering shaft extension?  (Read 3216 times)

RustRunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
steering shaft extension?
« on: Jul 03, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
i just did hysteer with rears up front, i dunno how but looks like i moved my front axle forward 4 or 5" what can i do about the steering shaft its too short now?

thanks

ken

FatAzzRunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -191
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Kansas, Flexin on cowpatties
    • View Profile
Re: steering shaft extension?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2006, 07:06:51 PM »
grind down the pin or drill it out and then extend the shaft to where you need it and then tack weld it on 2 sides.

Thats what I did and have wheeled it hard for 3 years like that with no problems.

85 Runner, 5" All-Pro Extreme Lift, Complete Marlin T-Case with new TS 4.7 gears, Super Birfields(Longfields), 5:29's, Detroited front, Spooled rear, 36" TSL's, Bikini top.

Yes, Livin in Kansas sucks azz!!

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2006, 06:36:47 AM »
Did you move the steering box?
Otherwise I can't see why your steering shaft would be too short.Anyways the shaft should have a slip in it.You may have to persude it a little with a hammer,but it should slide apart enough to work.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

RustRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2006, 07:49:54 AM »
sorry maybe i should have added more detail.  it's an 85 runner, and i moved the axle 4 or 5" forward.  the steering box is pushed forward as far as i can and the tie rod/draglink barley clear.  i have the shaft extended and it's still too short.  thanks guys

ken

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2006, 03:52:24 PM »
if the shaft is extended and its still too short, might want to slpice in a tube and weld it onto the hafts, or get a custom shaft made by a company like borgeson or flaming river
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

leorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »
sorry maybe i should have added more detail.  it's an 85 runner, and i moved the axle 4 or 5" forward.  the steering box is pushed forward as far as i can and the tie rod/draglink barley clear.  i have the shaft extended and it's still too short.  thanks guys

ken

I only have my axle 2" forward (85 runner), but my radiator mount is hacked, and I have a lot of slip left in the shaft!  I wonder if you have the other ifs box.  Are you sure that you have freed up the joint by drilling out the plastic?  I actually melted it out.  Unless you mounted your box in front of the radiator it should be good...or you have a differend box/shaft.

oh yeah
Bring on EJS

RustRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »
ya i pulled the halves apart, my box is from an 88runner.  thx for the replys

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:49:21 PM »
ya i pulled the halves apart, my box is from an 88runner.  thx for the replys

When I moved my stuff I had to use the steering shaft out of my wrecked 88...it was still about an inch too short, so I drilled out the little nylon pin and lengthened pulled it out enough to reach.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2006, 10:37:07 PM »
I had the same issue of course.

I would not weld the steering shaft solid.  it could impale you in a rollover etc.... that's not good

I cut the box side flange off, drilled the pins out, drilled 4 holes in the slip section.  then I cut the head off a 4" grade 8 bolt.  inserted bolt into slip section.  welded the rosette areas.  then I slipped the box side flange onto the end of the bolt flush.  welded the face of it and then welded a "v" around the whole thing.  this way it's longer, stronger, safer, and cost about 4 bucks

or you can get an IFS shaft and drill the pins out. that should work just fine
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2006, 10:47:48 PM »
When I moved my stuff I had to use the steering shaft out of my wrecked 88...it was still about an inch too short, so I drilled out the little nylon pin and lengthened pulled it out enough to reach.
Mark

You can see just aft of the shock how little I had to pull it out. Not too far considering how far the box is moved forward.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

RustRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2006, 10:59:30 AM »
ahhh so an ifs steering shaft is longer?  i hope your right cause i think i have one from my old wreaked 88.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2006, 11:12:56 AM by RustRunner »

toyotasarebetter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '05
  • do it right the first time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2006, 02:57:55 PM »
yeah dude they are different lengths.... also there is a plastic/fiberglass crumple section in the inner shaft so dont beat it too hard trying to get it apart cus it will break
85 toyota pickup, low end cam, 5 in alcan front springs all pro rears. 36 13.5 mickey tompsons... hysteer, 4 88s and detroits front and rear. u bolt flip rear... inboard shocks rear... bucket seats hurst shifter Bobbed bed. Doetch tech shocks..... and a heavy gas pedal... he he

RustRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2006, 03:11:48 PM »
You can see just aft of the shock how little I had to pull it out. Not too far considering how far the box is moved forward.

that looks about where i mounted my ps box.  i'll try and find my old 88 steering shaft, if not it's off to the junkers.  THANKS guys