Author Topic: Steering Shaft Help  (Read 2055 times)

Yotaman80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 384
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Steering Shaft Help
« on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
I was looking over my truck and noticed that when i installed the high steer i push the ifs box as forward (to clear the rubbing issue on the right side arm) as i could and the steering shaft from the firewall to the box has alot of slop in it.  It moves alot right where the slip is at the dust boot. I was wondering if the shaft is bad or i put the box to far forward? Do i have to find a new one or can i get a longer one out of a later gen truck? Thanks for the help.
80 Mini Truck-6" springs, Custom Cab Cage, 5150 Bilsteins, 5.29 Yukons, Aussie Locked, Warn M8000, 35"MTRs 5-Points, Diff Breathers, Sliders, Custom Front and Rear bumpers thanks to FATKID
Build Up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50320.0

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Shaft Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 06:19:15 AM »
You don't need a longer one...although the choice is yours if you want to go find one.
Here is what I did and some may do it differently.
You will need a vice,drill,hammer and welder.
I have a 1980 Toyota with rears up front, hi-steer...so, That in mind here you go.
after removing the steering shaft. If you look somewhere in the middle on the shaft. You will find two small holes...seemed to be filled with plastic(inserts). Drill out the two small holes. I don't recall the bit I used but it was same diameter or slightly larger by a few hairs.
I then...(and if yours is rusty maybe start a few days ahead) put some PB Blaster between the two half's.

I then placed the small side facing up (closest to the steering wheel) on my vice. Leaving some room between the small inner shaft and outer(facing down).
Place a open end wrench or crescent wrench on the small side of the shaft so that it will butt up against the larger one.
Smack with a regular hammer until the two start to separate.
Here you can tap it to the length you need. For myself I completely removed the two half's.
Removed the plastic inserts
I cleaned up the bigger shaft because it did mushroom out some.
Figure out the length you want to set it at and tack weld the two half's where the Small meets the large. (Picture above)
Now your done. But be warned. The reason and this thru hear say and it makes sense.
The steering shaft was designed to calapse in case of a front end collision.
That being said tack welding the two shaft back should be small welds.
Enough to keep the two half's together but yet small enough that they can separate in a crash.
It's up to you.
my dust shield was gone when I got the truck...and this is the space I set it at. the cab will flex so give some room for that. again your call on how much engagement you want and slip.

I hope all that made sense.
Mike
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009, 06:29:13 AM by Mnmstoy »

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
Sick man thanks alot for the help it all makes sense you did a great job explaining things. Ill try it out this weekend.
80 Mini Truck-6" springs, Custom Cab Cage, 5150 Bilsteins, 5.29 Yukons, Aussie Locked, Warn M8000, 35"MTRs 5-Points, Diff Breathers, Sliders, Custom Front and Rear bumpers thanks to FATKID

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2009, 11:48:17 AM »
Glad I can help. If you have any other questions...post up.
Mike 

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
After reading what you did i got motivated and took it out and did what you said.

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:26:27 AM »
Nice Job. Put some paint on it and bolt it back up.
That's cool.
Mike

Not sure if it matters. But I make sure the put it back together like a driveshaft in phase with the u-joints.
If you need a pic I can take one tomorrow....ops, later today if you need one. 

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
I marked the lower part when it came out just to make sure. I painted it up today and drove it around. Thanks for the help again.